PDA

View Full Version : Course distances for a schooling show

ljc
Jul. 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
We're putting on a tiny schooling show at our barn next weekend and I'm doing the course designs. I'm trying to figure out safe distances for LOW over-fences classes. We'll have crossrails (18"), low hunter (2') and open hunter (2'3" - 2'6"). If a "normal" line (say, for a three-foot class) was set at 60 feet, how many feet should I take out for these classes? I was thinking 56 feet for crossrails, 57 feet for low and 58 for open. And then, instead of a 72 foot line, I'd make it 68, 69, 70 feet. Does that sound right or should I shorten the lines even more?

Thanks for any help!

fourmares
Jul. 6, 2009, 01:39 AM
Save your ring crew a lot of trouble. Keep the distances the same at least for the cross rails and the 2fts. I think at the show I when to last weekend they set the lines at 59 and 70. They rode pretty well.

EAY
Jul. 6, 2009, 07:40 AM
At the schooling shows that my barns hosts they set the lines at 70' and 80' and keep them there throughout the day and they seem to work pretty well. Some of the horses with large strides have difficulty, especially at 3', but the horses there tend to be short-strided and few do that height. Toward the end of the season when the footing is good they will usually have a 60' line also. I have to admit that it can be a pain having the lines not set for the same step throughout but it is good for schooling adjustability, especially when the 60' line is first and the 80' going home last.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 6, 2009, 03:25 PM
I'd probably leave them as is...the ones that need to add a stride will be able to do so and the ones that can will ride the right numbers...