PDA

View Full Version : Quick help needed

hunterEQhorse
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:30 AM
I have a local horse show this coming sunday, and I'm doing six classes. My classes are spread far apart during the day, my first one being the first class, and my last one being the last class. The last class is a hunter class at 2'6. My question is, how can I keep my mare cool, and with some reserved energy for the last class? She's a big girl, (17 hand percheron/thoroughbred) and gets tired and lazy quickly. TIA! :)

Huntrs+eq
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:54 AM
There are lots of things you can do to help minimize the stress that will wear her out more quickly.

-Stay off her back as much as possible and loosen her girth, even if you're just waiting 5 minutes for a hack class.
-Find a shady spot for the above tip, and have a bucket of clean water handy.
-Bring her back to her stall to hang out or let her graze as much as possible.
-In between classes, hose her off if possible, even if it's just her neck and legs.
-Try to feed lunch according to normal routine as long as there is enough time to digest before next class.

Before your next show, consider talking to your vet about whether your horses diet is meeting her needs-does she need an iron-containing supplement to help boost her energy or electrolytes or is there another vital nutrient missing that could cause her lethargy?

Also, is your horse fit? Horse showing can be quite demanding and calls for a horse that is well-conditioned.

Hope this helps...Good luck at the show!