PDA

View Full Version : IRH XR9 - anyone?

Hunter Mom
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:01 AM
I love the CO AYR8, but don't have the bank for it right now. I found the XR9 online and like the looks and price of it. However, the ATH helmets I've tried on aren't that comfortable for me. Does the XR9 fit like the ATH? No area tack store has one, so I'd risk wasting $$ sending it back if I order one. FWIW, the CO fits me like it was made for my head alone.

BoysNightOut
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:29 AM
I can't comment on the fit of the XR9 compared to ATH's, because I always rode in Troxel's before getting an XR9.....but for what it's worth, I find my XR9 very comfortable! It keeps my head very cool, and this summer has show temps in the 80's.

So, I really like it!

FrmGrl
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:48 AM
You may want to try it in the long oval shape. The regular is very, very round. The CO's are in my opinion shaped better. All IRH helmets can be ordered in Long Oval. Also, you will not take the same size in the IRH as the CO. Measure carefully so you are not wasting $$ in an exchange situation.

Squeak97
Jul. 5, 2009, 06:29 PM
Both my XR9 and CO (GR8) fit amazingly. I can't tell which one I have on, and they look identical besides for the shape of the metal piece in front.

LShipley
Jul. 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have a low-end CO, and I agree, they are super comfortable. I really wanted to CO AYR8, and it felt wonderful on, looked very nice, but my wallet would not agree with the price tag. The salesgirl suggested the IRH Elite: http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-elite-riding-helmet/p/X1-3661/cn/40/. I ended up getting it in the long oval, in the same size I needed for the CO. It had a much lower profile than the other IRH helmets I tried on. This helmet doesn't have the micro suede, but sort of a vinyl-y cloth cover - they did tell me at the tack shop that people are wearing them at the A shows. All you have to do to clean it is wipe it off, and I am hoping because of the material it will not fade like the velvet or microsuede.
It is not quite as squishy inside as the CO inside, and so it is taking a little bit for me to get used to it. At this point, I have really only ridden in it three times. The padding does seem to be shaping to my head, and it is becoming more comfy with each ride. What I really really love is that even after a lesson with it being in the upper 90's - after about 15 minutes, the material inside was nearly dry.