PDA

View Full Version : Crocheted Ear Nets

SprinklerBandit
Jul. 3, 2009, 05:45 PM
My horse was having trouble with bugs, so I got her one of those crocheted nets for her ears. It fits nicely under her bridle and does the trick, but I'm a little confused with what to do with the extra string on the throatlatch-thing. Tuck it under something? Tie it up? Is there an authoritative answer here?

mypaintwattie
Jul. 3, 2009, 05:57 PM
I usually end up just cutting them off. Looks better than having the string tied up.

IsolaBella09
Jul. 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
I cut mine off. I've heard you can burn the end of it as well, but I just cut mine off. Knowing me, the whole thing would have lit on fire. ;)

Bugaboo
Jul. 3, 2009, 08:07 PM
I cut mine or wind it evenly around the throatlatch and tie the end in a knot on the other side.

Peggy
Jul. 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
I make a little loop to match the little loop on the other side, knot it, and then cut the remaining part off. That gives you a little loop on each side to thread the throatlatch thru.

danosaur
Jul. 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
I make a little loop to match the little loop on the other side, knot it, and then cut the remaining part off. That gives you a little loop on each side to thread the throatlatch thru.

that's a really good idea.
I usually just tie it to the other side, but that sounds like a better idea.

Peggy
Jul. 3, 2009, 11:28 PM
Now, I'm not sure how many bad things would have to happen all at once to make you glad that you anchored your horse's hat, but I somehow feel better knowing that it's well attached.

amastrike
Jul. 3, 2009, 11:31 PM
My horse's ears always come off no matter how I secure them. I typically wrap that long piece around the throatlatch and tie it to the other side.

joiedevie99
Jul. 3, 2009, 11:32 PM
I cut them off, but I like the double loop idea! I've never had a horse whose throat was actually small enough to loop it around the way it was designed without being too tight.

SarahandSam
Jul. 4, 2009, 12:14 PM
I tie it like a rope halter and then loop the extra part over the poll and tuck it somewhere in the net. Never occurred to me to cut it off, interestingly enough. I think I'll do that today.

CDNJumperGirl
Jul. 4, 2009, 12:43 PM
Now, I'm not sure how many bad things would have to happen all at once to make you glad that you anchored your horse's hat, but I somehow feel better knowing that it's well attached.

'hold on to your hats ladies ... geldings, its going to be a bumpy ride'
:winkgrin:

SprinklerBandit
Jul. 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks! I think I'll try the loop idea.