View Full Version : Memberships Horse/Rider (we are from Canada)

Partridge Acres
Jul. 3, 2009, 04:34 PM

Can someone please help us out- We are hoping to show at the HITS shows and we need some help with organizing memberships for both horse and rider.

What memberships do we require?

So far I have this list:
-ASPCA (we would like to show in the Maclay Medal)

For the horse we are slightly unsure...
-Horse Recording (can someone explain...)
-USHJA Horse Registration (again can someone explain...)

Is there anything else we should know...
Any advice/explanations will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

We are looking forward to competing across the border!

Go Fish
Jul. 3, 2009, 07:31 PM
If you're a member of your national federation, I'm not sure you have to join the USEF. I'm not sure about the USHJA. I know when I showed in Canada, I only had to present my USEF card. I think the two countries have some sort of recipricol agreement. Call the USEF or Email them and ask.

If it's required, you can also pay a non-member fee instead of joining.

Jul. 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
If you are an equine canada member, you do not need to be a member of USEF or USHJA. You will need to present your card or copy at the show. The horse is exempt from USHJA registration and does not need to be recorded with USEF, unless it is showing in the young jumpers.

If the rider is doing the USEF Medal or talent search, the rider will need to join USEF.

If you are showing in a class that requires measurement, you will need to get a USEF measurement card, as the Canada ones are not valid here.

Partridge Acres
Jul. 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks :)
Much appreciated.

Jul. 6, 2009, 04:26 PM
So if you are a member of equine canada you can still collect points(for say ariat adult medal) without being a usef member?

Jul. 6, 2009, 05:20 PM
For ariat yes, but you would not receive any USEF points unless the horse is recorded and the owner a USEF member.

Ariat rules say the rider must be a member of USEF or Equine Canada to earn points.