PDA

View Full Version : Sun-bleached Bay

ChunkyChestnut
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:16 PM
How can I get my mares color back? She has to stay out during the day so keeping her out of the sun isn't an option. Perhaps someone knows of a shampoo that could do the trick?

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jul. 3, 2009, 12:20 AM
I've struggled with this problem for years, and finally bit the bullet and have my horse turned out in a sheet with about 80% UV protection. I find that it actually keeps him more comfortable because it's white vs. his almost black coat. The trick is to start using it before the summer sun does it's damage, because that's nearly impossible to reverse.

I have had some decent success with a product called "black horse henna", but its effects are much less long lasting than the product advertises. I find that the darkening/shining lasts about 2 weeks before you're back at square one. It's also pretty pricey at $34.95/12 fl. oz. I did, however, use this product frequently before I got the UV sheet. You can buy it the cheapest directly from the manufacturer here: http://www.chevalinternational.com/page5.html . Keep in mind that this will need to stay on the coat for a length of time before rinsing- it's not a shampoo, either, so the horse will need to be clean before applying.

Again, your best option is to buy a UV sheet (I'm currently using a rambo sheet), and start with it early in the year. That way the coat will remain in good condition from the get go.