PDA

View Full Version : Ashland II saddle

desert_rat
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone have any experience with this saddle? I am getting desperate in my saddle search. I sold my previous saddle after I had my child since I just didn't fit right in it. (JTS saddle). I have my "dreams" set on a Tad Coffin or CWD, but funds right now just don't allow it. However, I have been borrowing an old Prix de Nations and am miserable - need a saddle to tie me over until I save more pennies:)

I know the Ashland II has a deeper seat and the lady that is selling it is an event rider. I ride primarily hunters, with occasional jumpers and several green horses...

I would love to sit in the saddle but the owner is in PA. I have been on the hunt for several months with zero luck and this sounds like a good deal (wants $600).

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!

brummelhorsefarm
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I have had two Ashland II's and love them. My first was a 16" that I used for many years. When I finally outgrew it I bought the same model a half size larger. I cant recommend them enough. They are beautiful (bought both used), wear well, and sit you just right. I ride up to 15 horses daily and both have stood up very nicely.

Good luck in your saddle search! :yes:

jen-s
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:23 PM
I love Ashlands. I prefer the original to the II for the cutback head, but both are comfy, well-made, and very durable. The tree does tend to run a little narrow, so you'll need to take that into consideration.

KateKat
Jul. 3, 2009, 12:25 AM
snatch it up! I love them. Its close contact (no blocks) and comfy! I also feel very balanced in it. The seat is not too deep, and the flap is fairly forward.

The one I use is actually my trainer's and she rides jumpers no problem. She rides in jeans so the leather has not held up great on the seat, but otherwise no problems with the saddle. Ditto on the tree, I'm actually trialing an original Ashland right now with a M tree and its narrow.

maggiemae
Jul. 3, 2009, 11:00 AM
I also have an Ashland II. I loved it on my mare I just sold. She was built broad in the back and high withers. The mare I now have is built more narrow along the back. And, unfortunately, the saddle just doesn't fit her right. My Ashland tends to be too wide for her. I feel that I am tipping forward on her. But, I would definitely get an Ashland as long as it fits the horse.

So, I am in search for a new saddle.... Oh joy.....

janedoe726
Jul. 3, 2009, 01:15 PM
Ditto what everyone else says! Great saddle at a great price- go for it!!

TatteredDaydreamer
Jul. 3, 2009, 01:25 PM
I have the original Ashland and LOVE it. I will never, ever, ever sell this saddle. It's comfy and like everyone else said, you feel very balenced. Grab it!

drmgncolor
Jul. 3, 2009, 02:31 PM
I have an Ashland II and absolutely adore it. Snatch that saddle up now!!!

Great quality leather, very well made and so so so comfortable. I fell in love... in fact, I prefer the Ashlands over my friend's Delgrange. I bought it brand new and it broke in like a dream... of course I spent a few nights with it in front of the TV with warm neatsfoot oil rolling and kneading the flaps. After over a year, it is nice and broken in and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I second the person who said not to ride it in jeans. I wear breeches 95% of the time, so for me it's not a problem, but if you are a jeans rider, the seat might not hold up long, long term.