PDA

View Full Version : Tailored Sportsman Britches gone bad?

HunterJumperLuv
Jul. 2, 2009, 05:54 PM
Has anyone else ever had the problem with the Tailored Sportsman Low Rise Breeches? My like 4 month old britches are like "blown out" in the crotch area. The elastic has like pilled up like fleece does almost and caused the material to become very misshapen. I've had this happen with Ariats before but never Tailoreds. Anyone else?

Pirateer
Jul. 2, 2009, 05:55 PM
They are only $130 for a reason....

They aren't quite as saggybooty/diaperbutt as the Ariats, but since its a cheap cotton material-yes, it is bound to happen.

How do you wash them? Mine lasted a good year or two before I had any sag.

trv_at_tacf
Jul. 2, 2009, 05:55 PM
Are they the 4 way stretch? Mine have like pulls (like a wool sweater would do) but its the elastic. All by the crotch, inseem of pants.

WorthTheWait95
Jul. 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
A couple pairs of mine did that. My favorite colors had huge holes in the crotch area after about a year of use which I thought was great longevity for $130 breeches that I basically abused. Other pairs that I've used just as hard are going on 2 years old now with no holes so I'm not sure what causes that. My BO lost a pair after only 2 months so I do have to wonder about quality control at the manufacturing plant.

NEHunter
Jul. 3, 2009, 08:18 AM
I think is depends on the color. I have a pair of sage green that I have had for 3 years and have used them hard and they have really held up, they are my favorites. My dark green pair I have not used as much and the crouch is going. I love my TS and have a few pairs in mult colors.

eas1012
Jul. 3, 2009, 10:09 AM
If I buy TS I know they will only last one season. Riding multiple horses a day, I definitely ride right through those suckers.

I suggest buying Pikeurs. Yes they are over double the price but I have a pair that I've been using for 8 YEARS now and they are still going strong.

But the TS do come in some fun colors, so every now and then I'll get another pair. :cool:

HunterJumperLuv
Jul. 4, 2009, 09:59 AM
Fortunately Dover said that they would replace them, but i'd had them for like .. 3-4 months and washed them on cold in the machine and hung dry them. I didnt expect to get too much use out of them, but, I'd only worn them say... a dozen times? maybe washed half a dozen? So I was pretty appalled that they gave out thattttt quick.

Levi's owner
Jul. 4, 2009, 11:54 AM
So much so, I no longer will buy them. It's very irritating because the first pair I bought about 4 years ago are still usable....But, all of the others wear out at various lengths of time. I wholeheartedly disagree that that is what you should expect for $130. Absolutely NOT. If I pay $130, I should expect to get more use out of them than a couple of months to a year. I found the tan ones split within 3-4 months. It really depresses me beucase I love the colors. But, I speak with my pocket book. I will no longer buy them.

woops
Jul. 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
I expect any breeches over $80.00 to have some grit----
My TS browns have been great -- but my new grey trophys are saggy in the euro seat--

Trixie
Jul. 4, 2009, 05:10 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree that that is what you should expect for $130. Absolutely NOT. If I pay $130, I should expect to get more use out of them than a couple of months to a year.'

Agree. Sorry. If Tuffrider can make cotton breeches for under $50 that hold up, there's no excuse for a pair that cost more than 2X as much to fall apart.

That being said, I've had pairs of TS that have lasted for YEARS, though none of them were of the cotton variety.

Goldilox
Jul. 4, 2009, 05:56 PM
I've had three pairs.

The first had that problem. They wore away at the crotch pretty quickly, the fronts of them pilled and the knee patches wore through. I'd say I wore them probably 25 times. Maybe I could have paid more attention to their care, but overall, they probably weren't the best made pair.

The second pair I had were the 240 dollar kind, which I got for a steal. They were great- unfortunately I only wore them about three times before my puppy got a hold of them and made some tailored sportsman confetti :eek:

I have a pair now which I haven't worn that much, but seem to be holding up pretty well, I think it is probably related to the plant or something....

Horseshowaddict
Jul. 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
I wore a hole in the crotch of my trophys. VERY SAD!!! Im def. going to invest in some pikeurs. I have friends that abuse them (10+ horses a day sometimes) and they are still going strong. My TS trophies barely lasted a season, and I only rode 1-3 a day. I wish there was a middle ground.

Mac123
Jul. 5, 2009, 01:48 AM
"Only" $130????? For a pair of "schooling" breeches? And we wonder why people think this is a rich man's sport? Honestly!!!!

If Tuff Riders can make $40 breeches that have lasted me...oh, near 5-6 years riding 1-5 horses daily, you'd think I should be able to expect that a pair of breeches three times the price to last more than a summer of riding.

No, this sport is not a rich person's sport...we just wear $130 breeches and $400 helmets to practice in and expect those clothes to wear out in the matter of a few short months. Yeah. Makes total sense.

Fun Size
Jul. 5, 2009, 02:21 AM
ONLY $130?? Yeah ok I don't even pay that much for my Lucky Brand jeans anymore.

If I pay that much, the stupid things better at least last more than a season.

The first pair of low rise trophy hunters I bought last year first pilled and then wore out in the crotch. I take very good care of them - I have a front load washer, and I did them on delicate and air dry them.

I just bought another pair, and they seem to be a little thicker/sturdier fabric so we will see what happens.

SaddleFitterVA
Jul. 5, 2009, 09:11 AM
Two things...

"Only" $130 ? Since when is $130 for a pair of trousers cheap?

And, yes, my second pair of TS low rise have done this.

Unacceptable, and it definitely takes them off my list of breeches I will buy.

I dislike the feel of the expensive TS breeches, realize that they will wear like iron, but, I have Pikeur breeches with a much nicer feel (for me) that hold up exceptionally well. The one pair that I finally had to retire was about 13 years old and were basically threadbare...and for 5 of those years, they were my favorite pair of breeches that got worn for almost all my rides.

EqQueen
Jul. 5, 2009, 10:43 AM
Gosh, I've got a pair of TS the low rise and the thinner summer ones in tan and I've abused them like you couldn't imagine, washed millions of times, even been thru the dryer almost as much. Those guys are almost on their third year and no pilling or even the beginning of wear in the crotch. I've ridden 5 horses a day at sometimes. Atleast 3 each time and I hop on the naughty ones, ridden in countless saddles, nothings stopping those guys and they were just over 100. My show pants are the TS low rise in beige (of course) and those have seen the dryer a handful of times and are almost at one year with no damage. It could be that those have only seen my nice soft 2008 butet. Either way, I get years of use out of mine, the only time I had to buy more was back when I was a kid and growing out of them.

luvs2ride
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
I haven't had problems with the TS britches yet, but I won't buy their shirts because they are so cheaply made I had one fall apart after 2 washes.

caffeinated
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:11 AM
I've noticed this happening with a couple pairs of mine, but I've had them quite a while and they get abused on the regular.

That said I think I'm an RJ Classics convert :)

ExJumper
Jul. 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
The TS cotton schoolers (95% cotton, 5% stretchy, abour $120 or so) are notorious for this. Some people have good luck with them (like tall boot zippers, I suppose!) but as far as my experience and that of most of the other girls at my barn, we no longer buy them. Most of us won't get anything that's not a microfiber of some kind. Sure, the Professionals cost about twice as much, but they last WAY more than twice as long. Plus I've found other less-popular brands of microfiber britches for about the cost of the TS schoolers or less.

So no more schoolers for me, no matter HOW cute the colors are.

Bugsey
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
Anyone who has a complaint on the TS breeches, can email the company and they will help you out. I have had mine forever and never had a problem, but a friend of mine emailed the company and they were very accomodating...

iridehorses
Jul. 6, 2009, 08:27 PM
maybe theyre too small on you?
i found that my small ones do this, but the larger ones do not....just a suggestion (or the larger oness at least havent yet)

ExJumper
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:21 PM
maybe theyre too small on you?
i found that my small ones do this, but the larger ones do not....just a suggestion (or the larger oness at least havent yet)

Nope, at least not in my experience. I thought it was just "my thighs" that were the problem, but the pro has tiny little stick legs and has the same problem I do, only sped up 3x because of how much she rides.

AGRHJRider
Jul. 7, 2009, 12:31 AM
I have several pairs of the men's TS breeches and i find that i have the problem of them wearing out in the crotch as well. Also my knee patches have come apart at the seam or the stitching rather, several times. They are inexpensive repairs but i expect more out of the TS brand.
I wish Pytchley still was in existence, i have two pair of Pytchley breeches that are well over ten years old. They were really well made breeches.
And on another side rant id really like to see the TS come out with a low rise breech for guys. I wear my jeans low rise so i think it would just make sense, they are more comfortable that way and less hindering. With all the crazies I ride I appreciate anything that lets me move freely and comfortably

atouchofclass
Jul. 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
Anyone who has a complaint on the TS breeches, can email the company and they will help you out. I have had mine forever and never had a problem, but a friend of mine emailed the company and they were very accomodating...

Isn't Bugsey the owner of Tailored Sportsman?
Odd post then to say that a friend of her's emailed the company.. isn't she "the company."?

superpony123
Jul. 12, 2009, 09:34 AM
yep. my low rise schoolies have been doing this :(

and for whoever said that's why they are only $130... well, ive paid $40 for much stronger breeches.

sigh. i've been trying to find breeches that are similar in style and fit but will be more durable, but i'm not having a lot of luck

that being said, my supreme hunters have lasted for years and show no signs of wear/tear. of course, they're not cotton, either. i expect them to last for a long time for the money i paid. and for $130, i'd expect similar standards. if i can pay kerrits or tuffrider $20-50 for cotton breeches and they last me years, i should expect a lifetime out of these TS cottons for $130.