PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Pulling horse advice

NeverEnd
Jul. 2, 2009, 02:40 PM
1). I'm looking for a full cheek gag with a separate ring for the rein - Different from what I've seen in catalogues. Do you know where to buy one???

2). My horse pulls me down and is hand heavy. I do use leg and push him his hind into the bit, but he still lays on me 80% of the time. I'm a huge believer in flat work and do many many hind end exercises, as well as gymnastics. I've tried a rubber pellam in the past and have now gone to a kimberwicke out of desperation (which is too much bit). I don't like using double reins and need a "friendly" bit that creates poll pressure and lifts simultaneously. Only thing I've not tried is an elevator.

Any suggestions, if other than a gag bit??

Smittyhj222
Jul. 2, 2009, 02:45 PM
Ohhhh...Sounds like I own your horses twin! I used a D- with copper rollers and a large port- may sound horrible, but i showed him in it for 5 years in the adults and we won everything....i bought mine with keepers on it, but i had them cut off. I know Schneider's sells it (sstack.com). Trust me...it works.

joiedevie99
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:28 PM
Are you talking about a gag bit on fulmer cheeks? If so, try some of the British tack shops that will ship.

NeverEnd
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:53 PM
No, it has a small separate ring for the rein that connects to the cheek piece. The remainder of the bit looks like a normal full cheek gag. Hard to explain. I've only seen/used it once, but loved it for my guy.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Two Black Cats
Jul. 3, 2009, 04:18 PM
Lots and lots and lots of leg to get him going forward and engaging the hind end. My guy has the same problem! I've also found that flatting him in a Happy Mouth 2-ring a couple of times a week definitely helps...I don't jump in it though, too much bit.

cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony
Jul. 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
It takes two to pull. Squeeze with your legs, half halt strongly, quickly and release and repeat EVERY time you need to until you get the response you want. Do you pull because he is going to fast or because he does not bend or go on the bit?