PDA

View Full Version : How is a Hunter Classic scored?

pony4me
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:09 PM
Can someone please explain the art or science of scoring a hunter classic. I know a score of 100 is perfect, and that points are deducted to determine the final score. But does every horse enter the ring with that 100? Or can a horse and rider have some limitations that dictate a different starting value? And if so, what would cause that? And do specific problems dictate specific point deductions? For example, is a late lead change always x points off? I've watched several, but would like to understand it better before I consider entering one. And trainers, at what point would you encourage a rider to enter a classic? My trainer is saying it's time, but I tend to be more conservative. Thanks!

CBoylen
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:29 PM
You're going to find it easier to understand if you consider things in terms of ranges. Basically, 70's are mediocre, 80's are pretty good. 90's are really good. Anything below 70 has a major fault. Each horse pretty much has a limit according to their ability. The best trip of one horse's life might be a 100 while the best trip of another might be an 85. The better the overall quality of the trip the less impact a mistake will make. The horse that is only capable of scoring an 85 may score a 76 or so with a small swap in an otherwise faultless trip, whereas the horse that's capable of a 100 may score an 85 with the same swap in an otherwise faultless trip. And the trip also has to be rated against the rest of the class, so basically identical trips on the same horse might score very differently depending on the performance of the competition.
The only faults that have pretty standard scores are rails (45) and stops (40). A have-911-on-standby chip is usually around a 55. Even those "standards" can vary a bit when a judge is trying to rank a class with no duplicate scores. A score for a late change is going to depend on how late it was, how rough, how the rest of the trip was, and whether the judge was actually looking ;).

A classic is just another class. If you are capable of doing the associated division you are capable of doing its classic.

Addison
Jul. 2, 2009, 08:42 AM
CBoylen explained it well .....there is no "science" involved in the scoring of any hunter trip as it is rather subjective!

MHM
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
The scoring system for a classic is exactly the same as a regular class, except the score is announced, and if it's a two round class, the two scores are added together.

pony4me
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:22 AM
Thank you very much for the insight and explanation.

wesierobb
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:19 AM
:) Most cogent explanation of judging a hunter trip that I have read in a long time! Well done, Chandra.

I think it is important to remember that not all horses are CAPABLE of 100...quality does make a difference in hunter trips.

Pat
Jul. 2, 2009, 07:48 PM
A have-911-on-standby chip is usually around a 55.

OMIGOD

I just snorked Coke on my laptop!!

I have soo seen too many of that kind of distance!

But yeah, ditto on your explanation of the hunter scoring system. The mistake is to look at it like it's the dressage scoring system. Apples and oranges.