PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER saddle question

hellerkm
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:07 PM
ok I might get accused of ignorance for this question but here it goes anyway.
My youngest DD is 2 , her older sister is moving off of our lunge line/beginner pony next week on to her very own made show pony. So now that my hands are free again its time to start training the 2 yr old.
What is a "lead line" saddle? we have never owned one and I am not sure of their purpose? I want to find a saddle for my youngest DD that she can learn to ride in. My 5 yr old has a nice used PDN that is 14 inches, my 2 yr old is almost as big in the body as she is but not as tall. Do I need a leadline saddle ( I have NO intention of ever DOING lead line I dont' see the point) or do I need something else??
and where is the best place to find little tiny saddles?? used of course!
HELP!!

Hunter Mom
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
ok I might get accused of ignorance for this question but here it goes anyway.
My youngest DD is 2 , her older sister is moving off of our lunge line/beginner pony next week on to her very own made show pony. So now that my hands are free again its time to start training the 2 yr old.
What is a "lead line" saddle? we have never owned one and I am not sure of their purpose? I want to find a saddle for my youngest DD that she can learn to ride in. My 5 yr old has a nice used PDN that is 14 inches, my 2 yr old is almost as big in the body as she is but not as tall. Do I need a leadline saddle ( I have NO intention of ever DOING lead line I dont' see the point) or do I need something else??
and where is the best place to find little tiny saddles?? used of course!
HELP!!

I don't think there is a specific need for a leadline saddle, but they are built to help itty-bitty kids be more secure - the stirrups go very short, the seats are a bit deeper, they have a grabstrap built in. They're not very expensive ($100 brand new) so may be a good place to start.

FWIW - When we go to bigger shows where my daughter can't ride (she isn't cantering courses yet) she often wants to do leadline. she feels like she's "showing" and has a good time. One show we go to regularly makes a HUGE production of leadline - it is held right before the GP, and the sponsor always gives them little prize bags along with a blue ribbon the same as they give to the other riders. She loves it! Is it really showing/riding? NO! However, the smiles are SO worth it :)

Pirateer
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:55 PM
So now that my hands are free again its time to start training the 2 yr old.

Why in God's name are you trying to "Train" a two year old to ride? WHY does the kid need its own sadde?

hellerkm
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
Why in God's name are you trying to "Train" a two year old to ride? WHY does the kid need its own sadde?
she WANTS to ride and since there are no OTHER saddles in the barn that will fit her we need to find one for her to ride in when she wants to ride? what harm is there in letting the 2 yr old ride around on a pony while the other kids ride? she BEGS to get on everyday, she rides NOW in her sisters saddle on the pony her sister rides , now her sister will have a pony that she can ride off of the lunge line for the majority of the time and my 2 yr old can ride at the same time as everyone else ( which will greatly shorten my day at the barn and maybe allow me to clean my house and get some laundry done LOL) what harm is there in letting her ride in a SADDLE????
I have NO idea why you feel the need to jump down my throat on this one?? 2 yr old loves horses, loves to ride, and it would be nice if she could ride at the same time I am ALREADY standing in the ring instead of needing to be there even longer for a small child who only wants to be lead around. She will already post at the walk ( saying UP UP UP) and loves to be up there. I see NO harm in buying her a saddle she will most likely use for years

Pirateer
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:27 PM
I wasn't jumping down your throat. Chill out.

Just questioning how much "riding" a 2 year old can do and why that warrants its own saddle. Surely a "pony ride" a few times a week doesn't warrant a saddle. I wouldn't be letting a 2 year old kid off of a lead line let alone trying to multi-task by teaching all of your kids at once.

Just sounds like a good way to cause a lot of Black and Blue.

hellerkm
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:34 PM

Just questioning how much "riding" a 2 year old can do and why that warrants its own saddle. Surely a "pony ride" a few times a week doesn't warrant a saddle. I wouldn't be letting a 2 year old kid off of a lead line let alone trying to multi-task by teaching all of your kids at once.

MY 5 yr old has been riding since she was 2 she just got off the lunge this summer LOL! so no worries, it would just be nice to be able to walk around the ring with her while I am watching and helping the other kids , that way I can kill two birds with one stone if you know what I mean. Train was NOT the right word to use, she will learn lots of "little" things just by watching the bigger kids at this point. she loves to be up there and loves to be in the ring while the rest of the kids are riding. I COULD do it bareback but I think a saddle would give her a bit more stability at this point.
I taught my 5 yr old the same way , we walked around the ring or she was on the lunge line the whole time her older sister rode almost everyday. We have always done it this way, one kid moves on and the next kid falls in line, they love to be able to do what their older siblings do. Just the way it works around our house.
And there are usually two of us in the ring watching the kids at the same time so there are two sets of eyes on about 4-5 kids, that way no one falls under the radar. Plenty safe I assure you.

Tha Ridge
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:02 PM

Wow, chill out.

It sounds like the OP doesn't have a suitable saddle for the kid and wants the kid to be secure. Where's the harm in that?

I also really doubt that the OP is just tossing her 2-year-old in a ring with her other kids and saying "Ride away!" It sounds like she simply has the 2-year-old on a longe close by.

Stono Ferry
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:52 PM
Well I've been teaching kids to ride for almost 30 years now and have found that the Beval Leadline or the Collegiate Leadline are the best to start them in. You don't want to go with a Wintec leadline as it creates a chair seat. No point in letting them develop a habit they will have to change later. You want a used one so it is already broken in. I'm not sure they even make either of these anymore! (I have a stockpile of them for the riding school and the niece) The saddles only have a half tree and fit every pony I have ever put them on, if the pony is a bit narrow you might need a gel pad or something underneath it. The key is that there is no bulk so the kid can get their leg ON the pony instead of the saddle flap being in the way.

buck22
Jul. 2, 2009, 04:03 PM
but, isn't this the cutest thing in the universe :lol: a 14" beval? (I'm not affiliated with the seller)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370216172921&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&salenotsupported

sandstar
Jul. 2, 2009, 04:13 PM
started my little one on a bare back pad with safety stirrups...until she was about 5.

hellerkm
Jul. 2, 2009, 06:54 PM
Well I've been teaching kids to ride for almost 30 years now and have found that the Beval Leadline or the Collegiate Leadline are the best to start them in. You don't want to go with a Wintec leadline as it creates a chair seat. No point in letting them develop a habit they will have to change later. You want a used one so it is already broken in. I'm not sure they even make either of these anymore! (I have a stockpile of them for the riding school and the niece) The saddles only have a half tree and fit every pony I have ever put them on, if the pony is a bit narrow you might need a gel pad or something underneath it. The key is that there is no bulk so the kid can get their leg ON the pony instead of the saddle flap being in the way.

Thank you this is the info I was looking for!!! I will start searching LOL and if you ever want to part with any of your "stash" let me know LOL!! off to start the search!

Tack N' Tow
Jul. 2, 2009, 07:38 PM
Check you PM's