PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Weather

Rue Belle
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:59 PM
So, how is the weather up in VT? Does anyone know how the footing is? Have they cancelled classes due to thunderstorms? Uhh... when are april showers gonna lighten up????? :no:

MHM
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm on my way there now, and it is pouring! I hope it stops when I get closer- still an hour or so away.

Jumphigh83
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:08 PM
The weather is GHASTLY....the rain..unbelievable....the footing...great...nothing canceled that I know of!! Stop at the store, get some wine..it is all good!:cool:

Rue Belle
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:18 PM
Do you think next week is going to be the same??? I better bring extra shovels, and tarps for mote-making and coverage!

supershorty628
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
The weather channel is predicting showers for all of next week. The storms held off until the horse show was over today, but it was very windy by the time I was there and there were very ominous clouds rolling over the mountains. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy...will post with what the footing is like.

Ray
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:02 PM
last year, LOTS of rain, footing was always fine

Lexus
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:40 PM
Today the weather was actually quite pleasant, clouds and a tiny bit of sun. It rained later once the show was over. The footing is somewhat hard in my opinion despite the rain.

Tomorrow looks awful as does next week but there's rain in the forecast every single day.:no:

MHM
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:55 PM
I was just SO glad it wasn't raining when I got to the show and unloaded! I will say the stream by our tent looks and sounds a little like a raging river. :lol:

SarahandSam
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:49 AM
I am in Plainfield VT this week and it has been pouring the whole dang time. Raining right now. Flash flood warnings for tonight and tomorrow. I do not leave my room without wellies.

Where is there a rated show this weekend? Leaving tomorrow and wouldn't mind swinging by a horse show if I find one along the route. I planned to go ride an Icelandic tomorrow but it's too darn wet to be fun. ):

MHM
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:08 AM
Where is there a rated show this weekend?

Six weeks of A shows, starting this week in East Dorset, Vermont. Just north of Manchester on Route 7.

Bring the rubber boots!

Trees4U
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:48 AM
A few years ago, coming back from dinner we noticed a big black cloud over the showgrounds so we decided to drive over to check on the horses. It was pouring and a "river" was raging thru the isle of our tent - inches higher than our ankles! We banked bedding infront of stalls as best we could. It was quite a mess but dried out fairly quickly for the amount of water that flowed thru! That VT for ya ;)

fair judy
Jul. 2, 2009, 12:00 PM
gawd, i remember one year when the same wicked cloud kept bouncing back up and down the vally all day long. you could actually see that sucker stop, turn around on the mountain and head back toward us like a freight train.

the first think i do when i set up is trench. i even put in a wooden gutter one year. i actually dug trenches for others who didn't bother and thus flooded my stalls.

make sure you put the flaps on the outside of the tent ropes!!!!!

the footing in the rings was always pretty good. it was getting to the rings that was treacherous.......

MHM
Jul. 2, 2009, 12:07 PM
Aaaaaand... It's raining again, for at least the 10th time today.

quintessance
Jul. 2, 2009, 01:04 PM
It's beautiful, and a mud pit with all the rain. Were trying Traverse this year, have fun!

Kahuna
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:43 PM
Today they moved some classes in the GP ring to tomorrow. The footing is holding up pretty well so far. It has been raining ALL day today. Went to the Northshire Bookstore to dry out.:)

kdriding
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:24 PM
A little off the topic of the weather, how are the entry numbers for the hunters and eq? It seems light to me, but it is only week one, and the weather stinks. Just curious.

MHM
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:56 PM
There were quite a few in the equitation- I want to say around 40 in the WIHS and Medal. Not a ton of small juniors, maybe about 10-12. I think there were a few more larges. I know Hunter I was done before 2:00, and Hunter III was also done pretty early.

It seems very unusual to me to have Vermont start during the second week of Lake Placid. I would think that might be part of the reason the numbers are a little light, and the awful weather certainly can't help.

I would imagine it will be bigger next week as people come from Lake Placid.

HuntJumpSC
Jul. 3, 2009, 01:12 AM
We haven't had a drop of rain down here in SC for over 2 weeks, and my hay man has been in Vermont for that long at his uncle's farm, waiting to cut & bale timothy. Sure wish the weather would cooperate, I'm ready to get some hay put up. :sigh:

supershorty628
Jul. 3, 2009, 05:13 PM
The footing was great today, despite all the rain yesterday.

MHM
Jul. 4, 2009, 02:08 PM
Stop the presses!

Right this second, the weather in Vermont is beautiful!

It rained earlier, it will probably rain again later, but right now, it's perfect. :)

gg4918
Jul. 4, 2009, 02:12 PM
As far as numbers go, EVERYONE that I know is going to weeks 3 and 4. Should be a madhouse

OAK
Jul. 4, 2009, 02:59 PM
Off the Subject I just read the cancelled the GP and put it in tomorow. Does any one know why. The weather ?????????

MHM
Jul. 4, 2009, 04:30 PM
Off the Subject I just read the cancelled the GP and put it in tomorow. Does any one know why. The weather ?????????

The weather was nice this afternoon, but it was gray and drizzly for a while this morning. Maybe the forecast is better for tomorrow?

I will say the footing has held up quite well to all the rain.

PoochPaddock
Jul. 4, 2009, 04:42 PM
The Pooch Paddock is perfectly dry here despite the rain. It seems to drain off pretty quickly.

Kahuna
Jul. 4, 2009, 05:09 PM
Stop the presses!

Right this second, the weather in Vermont is beautiful!

It rained earlier, it will probably rain again later, but right now, it's perfect. :)
Agreed! Beautiful up here right now albeit a bit chilly.;)

Madeline
Jul. 4, 2009, 06:30 PM

I have no real information, but according to the printed schedule and program ( and for the last 15 or so years) the GP was always scheduled for Sunday. That's when I'm planning to go...

OAK
Jul. 4, 2009, 06:36 PM
Sorry I may have misleed you all. I just dicovered I left out the words LAKE PLACID. LOL on me

supershorty628
Jul. 4, 2009, 06:43 PM
Weather tomorrow is supposed to be gorgeous; 75 and mostly sunny, yey!!

Rue Belle
Jul. 4, 2009, 06:50 PM
yay! we're driving up tomorrow... so hopefully it will be nice to unpack. how much more rain could there be????

MHM
Jul. 4, 2009, 07:28 PM
how much more rain could there be????

Augh! That's a terrible question- don't jinx it! :lol:

Rue Belle
Jul. 4, 2009, 08:27 PM
ooops i take it back

MHM
Jul. 5, 2009, 09:46 AM
A Sunday mornng weather update- it is absolutely beautiful here today!!!

Around 65-70 degrees, light breeze, barely a cloud in the sky.

I'm grazing a horse down by the stream right now, and somebody just came by and filled up the water truck to water the ring. That's the first time I've seen that happen all week! :lol:

kdriding
Jul. 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
That's awesome. We will be there for week 6, and I am praying mother nature and I are on the same page when the time comes.