PDA

View Full Version : approaching an acquaintance to offer them your horse?

Beau Cheval
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:30 PM
this might seem like a kind of weird question.

I am looking to place my beloved horse who I have grown out of. My cousin takes lessons from a lady who I have met on several occasions and visited her barn a few times. I really think her farm and program would be an ideal situation for my horse. How would I go about calling her up and offering her my horse? I would be willing to give him to her for free in a situation where I still had control over things such as how he was used i.e. yay or nay on any perspective leaser, right of first refusal in the event she wanted to sell him and approval on the new owner, consultation in a situation, god forbid, like him being put down, control over how he was used (i.e. only intermediate-advanced riders, no more than one ride/day)?

thanks!

Pirateer
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:34 PM
That doesn't sound like "giving him to her" it sounds like a "Free-lease" with specific stipulations.

Beau Cheval
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ok, so a long-term free lease situation...

meupatdoes
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:59 PM
this might seem like a kind of weird question.

I am looking to place my beloved horse who I have grown out of. My cousin takes lessons from a lady who I have met on several occasions and visited her barn a few times. I really think her farm and program would be an ideal situation for my horse. How would I go about calling her up and offering her my horse? I would be willing to give him to her for free in a situation where I still had control over things such as how he was used i.e. yay or nay on any perspective leaser, right of first refusal in the event she wanted to sell him and approval on the new owner, consultation in a situation, god forbid, like him being put down, control over how he was used (i.e. only intermediate-advanced riders, no more than one ride/day)?

thanks!

Put the bolded parts in an email and hit send.

Beau Cheval
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:03 PM
Sounds like a plan to me =)
Wanted to check it out with you guys first to make sure I did everything I could to optimize the potential for this to WORK. lol

mvp
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:38 PM
Yes, call her or send that nice cut-n-paste e-mail meupatdoes suggests. You might also take the opportunity to praise her program as in "I have put some thought into this and I really wouldn't offer my horse to anyone, but I did want to offer him to you because I think you'd do a really nice job and I believe he could make some of your riders happy, too."

If you e-mail, you might follow up with a phone call that establishes a more personal relationship. Everyone likes to hear that they are liked and respected. If you hope to start a long-term relationship with this BO (as you will given your terms), definitely start out on this pleasant note. I don't think you are dishonest to deliver such praise, so much as putting into words what you saw that encouraged you in the first place.

I hope this works out.

BeaSting
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:38 PM
Some of your requests are reasonable, i.e. right of first refusal. However, if I were the barn owner in question, I would be a bit insulted by some one insisting on controlling daily use of the horse. If her barn and program were so ideal, I would think that she would have the good judgement to assess the horse's ability and assign suitable riders.

ExJumper
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
Some of your requests are reasonable, i.e. right of first refusal. However, if I were the barn owner in question, I would be a bit insulted by some one insisting on controlling daily use of the horse. If her barn and program were so ideal, I would think that she would have the good judgement to assess the horse's ability and assign suitable riders.

Ditto.

If I had a nice well-run program, I wouldn't accept a horse with all those stipulations. It wouldn't be worth the hassle. Other than your right of first refusal request, I think that all the other specifics are asking too much.

If you want control over him like that, pay to have him retired or find someone to lease him yourself. If you want him off your books and you like this person, trust her to do the bast with him and sell him to her for $1.00.