PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Pants

Twisting
Jul. 1, 2009, 03:57 AM
I've come to the conclusion that it's time to say goodbye to some of my schooling pants, they just aren't what they used to be. I'm having a hard time finding good replacements for them though. I bought a pair of On Course Pull on Cotton pants from Smartpak and hated them. They fit nicely once I got them on, but getting them on was a nightmare.

I'm hoping for something that feels more like slipping into an old pair of sweat pants, not like squeezing myself into a diving suit. With the lack of tack stores in my area online ordering is my best bet, but I don't want to pay horrendous shipping fees returning things that don't work out. So which brands are soft and streachy and lightweight?

Pirateer
Jul. 1, 2009, 04:46 AM
Are you looking for tights or actual breeches?

I'd maybe look at the Kerrits/Irideon tights?

myvanya
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:13 AM
I just got a pair of the Irideon tights that I LOVE! I want another pair already just so I never have to ride in anything else.

Jo
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
I personally don't like the tights that look like biker type material. I like the cotton kind and get the Devon Aire schooling tights... They come in a variety of colors (although I mostly buy black!) and take a beating! They are more comfortable than any other pants I've tried and I often wind up lounging around the house in them after/before barn time.

besttwtbever
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:34 AM
How about a pair of stretch pants? You said yourself you wanted to be comfortable.

You could go to Wal-mart or Target and find a good pair of stretch pants that fit well and feel good. That way you're comfortable and you're doing a favor to your pocketbook.

Fashion Police
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping for something that feels more like slipping into an old pair of sweat pants, not like squeezing myself into a diving suit.

you might consider a larger size.

kookicat
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
If you can get hold of them, the Shires breeches are very nice.

Trixie
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:54 AM
Some of the heavier cotton breeches just feel gross to me, even when they're too large. I can see where the OP has gotten the diving suit analogy.

So go with something lighter with stretch and be sure they're not tight. I have a pair of ariat all sports that have held up really nicely and they're superlight, though not cheap. The kerrits are definitely lightweight and stretchy and ubercomfy, if not particularly flattering.

myvanya
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:26 AM
I liked the feel of the devon-aire schoolers, but they wore out for me in about 9 months when I was only riding two horses lightly :(

I wear the Cotton Naturals pull ons for shows (I shouldn't admit that here but- its the truth and I have my reasons) and they are reasonably comfortable to me, but I can see where many people would not like the feel of them and mine are 2 sizes too big even (I know, I just keep getting better and better fashion wise :winkgrin:). They do feel somewhat like neoprene even though they are thicker cotton-lycra blend; they never really soften up. I have a really old pair of them I got used that still feels the same way- though that attests to the fact that they don't seem to wear out!

caradino
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:36 PM
I liked the feel of the devon-aire schoolers, but they wore out for me in about 9 months when I was only riding two horses lightly :(

I wear the Cotton Naturals pull ons for shows (I shouldn't admit that here but- its the truth and I have my reasons) and they are reasonably comfortable to me, but I can see where many people would not like the feel of them and mine are 2 sizes too big even (I know, I just keep getting better and better fashion wise :winkgrin:). They do feel somewhat like neoprene even though they are thicker cotton-lycra blend; they never really soften up. I have a really old pair of them I got used that still feels the same way- though that attests to the fact that they don't seem to wear out!

i'm TRYING to kill an old pair of Cotton Naturals that are the most HIDEOUS shade of green/brown/mud, but they JUST WON'T DIE!!! I fear I'm stuck with them forever...

myvanya
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:44 PM
Caradino- My old pair is awful;they are way too short for me but since they are still serviceable if I wear really tall socks I can't bear to get rid of them. So I am completely in the same boat. I keep trying to destroy them and they are still in great shape. And my purple devon-aire schoolers that fit me fantastically that I loved died after 9 months of babying. I don't get it.

tikihorse2
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:28 PM
I really really really like Irideon tights. They're very comfortable--much more comfortable than standard breeches. And they're cool when it's hot out (which it isn't, at the moment)!

Kim

Donna from IA
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have fallen in love with just about everything in the Irideon line. However, they have really hit the mark with their stretch cord breeches. Let's just say that I have hit that age where 4-way stretch in beige is not as flattering as it used to be - even for schooling. Props to my trainer for being able to say it so tactfully. But, I love the feel! The stretch cord breeches are still 4-way, but they have a fine cordoroy grain that visually gives more substance (read: covers flaws) but are still very light to wear and don't bind and come in multiple colors. I could live in them year in and year out. When my trainer stopped me to tell me how nice they looked (he's quite the fashionista) I knew I had hit paydirt. Wonder how old I'll be when I finally give up the 4 way stretch? When black won't cover the flaws any longer............

klmck63
Jul. 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
I really love my Grand Prix breeches for schooling but I usually wait until they're on sale before I pick up a new pair!! They come in lots of practical colours as well. I find that they pretty much feel like some comfy sweats when I put them on!

KateKat
Jul. 6, 2009, 03:11 PM
I love my Tuffriders. Cheap and very durable. Also comfortable in hot weather. I just got a pair from Stateline tack, they are the lower rise version. The material is thin and stretchy, I can barely tell I'm wearing anything. Can't beat the price either, it was $49 for a pair!

FrmGrl
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:38 AM
Irideon Issentials are by far my favorite but it you dont like that material the new Kerrits breeches are really, really soft. I was shocked. Already broken in and they come in low rise or regular. I am too old now for that low rise stuff:lol:

theblondejumper
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
I bought a pair of Kerrits Performance Tights in the Flow rise. And I LOVE THEM! Never ever going back to anything else! I also have a pair of Devon Aire X Hipsters and I haven't killed them yet (have had them for about 5 years)

Linny
Jul. 7, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have a couple of pairs of the Riding Sport pull on tights from Dover. They are comfy and look like breeches if you wear your shirt untucked. The only issue I have is that they can get sticky (to my legs) if they are damp. They were about $35 and I have beige and blue.