PDA

View Full Version : My two-year-old might be a lipazzaner.

Justice
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:50 AM
My new baby is out to pasture and comes in a few times a week to play "things all good show horses should know." Standing still while being tied, learning that spray bottles are not filled with toxic agents hell bent on depleting the world's population of small chestnut mares, what to do when attacked by a horse eating sheet, etc. So far, so good.

A couple of weeks ago the farm owner mentioned to me that when she was wheeling the feed out to Stella's paddock, that she was doing airs above the ground. Silly me, I assumed she was exaggerating, at least a little. After all, she's a fairly mild mannered filly, and the barn owner is a magnificent woman who I can only describe as a Dressage Queen of the finest variety - this woman is all class, and sounded very cultured when saying "airs above ground." However, I, who take all equine related comments with a grain of salt, ignored her reference to Lipazzaners, and figured the filly was just jumping around and bucking with her front legs propped like a bronc. Ahhh, youth.

So, I introduced her to long lines the other day. We were just walking with the halter on, practicing turns, nothing very exciting, and she seemed to get the concept and was very relaxed. I should add at this point that I am a fan of "sacking out" young horses... not torturing them, but doing things that may scare them to let them learn that when bad things happen, it's still all good. So, after a while when I went to change directions, I tossed one of the lines up over her back. And then, she did what I can only describe as a perfect capriole. Way better than I've seen at the Lipazzaner shows. And the funny thing is, she did it, and then kept walking. I was just standing there with my mouth hanging open thinking, A. Did anyone see that? Because NO ONE is going to believe that just happened, and B. Dear Lord, please let that not happen when I am sitting on her.

Just when you think you've seen it all...

Madison
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:29 PM
My mare regularly performed airs above ground on the lunge line, mostly on schooling days at shows or after a layoff. Not uncommon for people walking by to stop, point and stare and you could just read the imaginary bubble over their heads "is someone really going to ride that?!?!" In my pre-purchase, she bucked so hard on the lunge that clumps of footing hit the ceiling in the indoor (to which the vet commented "back end works. check!). But the most you ever got under saddle was a crow-hop - never even so much as a buck. So, there is hope for you that your filly may realize that is NOT to be performed under saddle :lol:

Little Valkyrie
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:35 PM
Don't worry...even real Lippizans can turn out pretty well. (with a minimal amount of airs above ground ;) )Case and Point (http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1905688&l=f203a92e9d&id=644532484)

RugBug
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:56 PM
Dear Lord, please let that not happen when I am sitting on her.

That is always my second thought after 'wow, that was cool.' :lol:

At least you know Stella can rock back and use her hocks. :D

huntergirl007
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:51 PM
My gelding, bless his heart, has never bucked undersaddle. Actually...I had NEVER seen him buck at ALL. Not even in the paddock.

Until one wonderful windy afternoon when he decided to buck on the lunge line.

And lord love a duck, thank GOODNESS he doesn't do it with me on him.

So perhaps your mare is the same. Wonderful display of abilities on the lunge, but prefers to stick to the basics undersaddle. :D

DMK
Jul. 1, 2009, 02:24 PM
That is always my second thought after 'wow, that was cool.' :lol:

Hah! me too! I'm getting ready to back my youngster in a month or so and I can tell you I sure pay a lot more attention to what triggers airs above the ground as well. Mostly so far he just turns his head towards me on the lunge line and laces his ears back and shakes it at me when he's in a mood to "talk back" then goes around about 3 times this way before he realizes mean old mom isn't changing her mind and goes back to holding his head out in front of him so he can see where he is going. I'm wondering how that will translate when I am on his back? :lol:

MistyPony
Jul. 1, 2009, 03:32 PM
When I lunge my mare it looks more like I'm holding a horse shaped balloon. Usually it's after I get off cause she being "bad" (running off with me) and then as she clicks her heals over her head I realize how GOOD she was being by holding that in!!

Madison
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:21 PM
Hah! me too! I'm getting ready to back my youngster in a month or so and I can tell you I sure pay a lot more attention to what triggers airs above the ground as well. Mostly so far he just turns his head towards me on the lunge line and laces his ears back and shakes it at me when he's in a mood to "talk back" then goes around about 3 times this way before he realizes mean old mom isn't changing her mind and goes back to holding his head out in front of him so he can see where he is going. I'm wondering how that will translate when I am on his back? :lol:

DMK, when the time comes we look forward to the threads in which you share these tales with the rest of us :winkgrin:

LittleGray
Jul. 2, 2009, 12:37 AM
When I lunge my mare it looks more like I'm holding a horse shaped balloon. Usually it's after I get off cause she being "bad" (running off with me) and then as she clicks her heals over her head I realize how GOOD she was being by holding that in!!

"Horse shapped balloon"...LOL that's great!

Mia412
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:05 AM
We used to have one that we referred to as the "equine kite" - couldn't keep all 4 on the ground when he got excited on the lunge line!

MistyPony
Jul. 2, 2009, 02:07 PM
We used to have one that we referred to as the "equine kite" - couldn't keep all 4 on the ground when he got excited on the lunge line!

Oh I like that one too!!