PDA

View Full Version : Grancino - anyone know him?

RumoursFollow
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hey guys-

I have a kid in my barn who has recently been lucky enough to lease one of those amazing, wonderful, truly special 3ft hunters who have really seen it all.

We picked him up today- he's 22 years old :) , liver chestnut with a crooked stripe. I know he was imported here around 1997 (?) and was in CA for some amount of time - Elise Haas showed him in the Junior Jumpers. heard that he did some Grand Prixs as well. He's been here in the midwest for some time with a trainer friend of mine and she gave me this history about him..

The kid that has him is young and I want to see if I can find some kind of token from his past to show her how truly special this horse is. She knows she's very lucky to have him.. but if anyone knows anything about his career on the west coast, I'd so love to find a picture of him doing the jumpers to show her.. or even just some stories about him if you knew him. I know his history here in the midwest doing the hunters, but not what he might have done in CA.

This is him now: http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs103.snc1/4885_664565777818_12725369_38796335_8382085_n.jpg (the picture quality is terrible because its taken on a cell phone, but he does have some white on his front legs thats covered by polos.

Anyone?

RumoursFollow
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
West Coast bump anyone?

rjg2a
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:40 PM
Oh wow! I rode that horse some when Elise was riding at Plain Bay. I think it was around 1998/1999. While Elise was riding with Katie Prudent, and I was with Kim Prince, who was Katie's US "stay at home" trainer at the time. I had the wonderful opportunity to ride Katie's customers' horses when Katie was in Europe. Grancino was one of my favorites.

He was a wonderful horse and very very sweet. I've often wondered what happened to him. I'm happy to know that he's still doing his job.

All the best to him!

RumoursFollow
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:51 PM
rjg2a- That is so neat!! He has such a funny character.. the girl that leases him is a very timid rider and he just takes her around so so sweetly. I can tell he has some spunky horse in him too though! He knows that he know more than her so when he ignores what she tells him to do it almost makes me laugh.

You dont happen to have or know how I could get a hand on a jumper picture, do you? Thanks again for your reply! :)

huntr_eq_blonde
Jul. 3, 2009, 08:37 AM
Grancino...

Looking at the picture, he looks just like the one I used to ride at Connie Stevens place, Matchmaker, in Illinois. I don't remember him being 22 years old, but I know that she did tell me he's worth $750,000 and was ridden by a Swedish man in the Olympics or some major Grand Prixs.

Can't believe Connie would sell him. He was her prized horse. I know that she wanted us to pay $12,000 for three months to lease him for the summer.

Hope this link works:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30027813&l=a0b4b59360&id=1309866928

samtoney
Jul. 5, 2009, 01:10 PM
yip, looks like the one that connie has had forever. i know that he is quite old, but a saint any day of the week. if it is the same horse, i'm shocked that he is no longer with her. have fun he is a sweet old man!

RumoursFollow
Jul. 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh no no no..

He definitely still belongs to Connie Stevens still and most definitely hasn't been sold. My customer leased him from her to learn to do the 3ft on. He is definitely 22 but sound as a dollar and so much fun. :)

Thanks for the replies, yall!