PDA

View Full Version : Peeps w/ conformation horses...

Alterrain
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:54 PM
Do you turn them out?

Bells, polos, etc?

My barn shares a facility w/ several other barns, one of which has a super green conf horse, super blingy mare. Def. will go 4' next year. They don't turn her out! I asked the guys about it, they said trainer (a BNT) would freak out if she got hurt/ cut, so they "turn her out" in the lunging circle (5' solid fence, perfect footing, maybe 30' circle?) a couple times a week.

Is this the norm for like super confo horses? I have never known one personally. I sometimes dream my guy ends up going 4' with my trainer, but then I wake up and remember he weighs like 1 pound and who would want to model his skinny ass.

Gry2Yng
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
I sold one that did the Green Conf at Devon this year. They didn't model him. He gets out and gets muddy. IIRC, quite the piglet.

LivviesMom
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:41 PM
I showed my filly on the line as a yearling 2 and 3 year old. She was always on full day minimum 8 hour turnout in groups.. Her sanity and well being was worth way more than any ribbon...
Most judges will look past minor scapes. When it came for the Royal Winter Fair I wanted her to look her best. So I still turned her out all day, but in individual turnout..

Dirty Little Secret
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:07 PM
bell boots but aced or stays in when wet

Justice
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:03 PM
Individual turnout, with or without bells or boots in good weather only on grass. This particular horse was too lazy to play in the turnout. Ditto what someone said about the horses not being moved down in the line-up for a small scratch or something like that... generally at that level all of the strip horses are in magnificent condition, and a small recent cut is not a big deal.

CBoylen
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:07 PM
Rox Dene and Popeye K both went out every day at home for as long as they wanted during their conformation years. Boots or polos are reasonable caution, but keeping the horse in just because it's a strip horse is ridiculous.

Go Fish
Jul. 1, 2009, 02:59 AM
My mare will do confo next year. Horrors of horrors...she's turned out in the sun sans sheet or boots and is allowed to wallow in the dirt.

horserider12
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:06 AM
Mine is doing the 3 year olds on the line right now and he gets turned out every day. He looks brown with mud most days out there as he loves to lay down in puddles, but miraculously the day before shows he turns into a grey again with beautiful white socks! He does get booted all around but I would do that even if he wasn't doing the conformations. I would imagine the ones that aren't allowed to do this have a substantial number of ulcers, but some can probably handle it.

MrWinston
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:22 AM
I showed many conformation horses for many years. From yearlings to 4ft. They were booted all around but went out for a few hours a day in most weather. They were turned out with a pony so that they didn't play too hard and didn't end up herd bound. If I could turn them out without the pony (where they could see horses in other fields), even better. I think treating them like hot house flowers is terrible for their minds and unhealthy for their bodies.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hijack, but seems like a good place to ask. The first year horse I speak of did not do the model class at Devon as they were "told" it would hurt him in the OF portion. Beautiful horse, wins in the model a lot, but I am guessing would not pin at Devon. Can someone talk me thru the theory on this. Oh, and where does the expression "strip" horse come from? Assume this has something to do with how they look naked?

kookicat
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:32 AM
bell boots but aced or stays in when wet

Did I read that right?

You're recommending regularly drugging the horse for turnout? :eek:

Not something I would do. I want them to have all of their braincells on line when they're out.

EMWalker
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
All our conformation horses get turn out (alone) every day they are at home. We have 4 quarter acre "dirt" paddocks that the horses that play hard get turned out in and we have 7 large grass pastures that the horses that don't get very rowdy get to go out in.

It's utterly ridiculous not to turn your horse out at let them be horses just because of a division. I am with a pretty "BNT" that does all the big shows (FL, KY, Indoors etc) and our horses get to be horses!

MyGiantPony
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
I still remember a conversation from years ago. I always thought confo horses had to be kept in padded cells. :lol:

Patty Heuckeroth layed over with us during indoors and she had a few confo horses with her. She cleared me up on that point - she was very much about turning them out so they could just be horses. Ten minute conversation gave me quite an education!

TatteredDaydreamer
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:44 AM
I worked at a barn where the conf horses were turned out with boots and if they moved faster then a walk were quickly brought in.....I quit fairly shortly after finding this out. They're animals, not machines.

woweezowee
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:15 AM
I have a 2yo Welsh/TB pony who won ribbons on the line at Devon last year and a yearling futurity... he's out all night (12 hrs, with horse yearlings), and this fall he will be out 24/7 + shed + miniature horse companion.

for ponies, I think the difference is in the 'end result', the later performance years -- the most prestigious division a pony can compete in is Sm/Med/Lg Pony Hunter, where only 2 classes (model and conformation OF) are judged with a conformation slant. IMHO it's not worth it for our 2yo to be on stall arrest just to show in breeding classes, when in the remainder of his career, those little cuts/scars won't matter. Maybe it's pony-specific -- the "troopers" will probably not win the confo classes, but still bring $$ because they are safe for kids and can teach kids to ride.

CBoylen
Jul. 1, 2009, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hijack, but seems like a good place to ask. The first year horse I speak of did not do the model class at Devon as they were "told" it would hurt him in the OF portion. Beautiful horse, wins in the model a lot, but I am guessing would not pin at Devon. Can someone talk me thru the theory on this. Oh, and where does the expression "strip" horse come from? Assume this has something to do with how they look naked?
You don't model if you're unlikely to get a top ribbon. All it accomplishes is showcasing the faults that might possibly get overlooked in a quicker lookover in the jog, or might be given some greater leeway after a really nice trip. It's harder to give the horse leeway when you've already placed it behind 10 other horses in the model. I believe the term strip comes from the fact that you strip the tack off of them to stand them up.

HunterJumper106
Jul. 1, 2009, 06:23 PM
My moms horse (does the A/O's with her but the conformation stuff with our trainer) gets turned out by herself in a decent sized field from 7pm-11:30pm and 5:30am-8am everyday with bell boots on the front and turnout boots on all fours. She gets turned out by other horses but they are not able to touch over the fence.

There are 2 other conformation horses at our farm--both owned by different people. One gets no turnout at all, apparently is very accident prone, and instead gets a total of 4 hours of hand walking throughout the day.
The other is on the same schedule as all the other horses (turned out all night and in all day) and even gets turned out with 2 friends, an older donkey and a retired jumper.

So basically I guess it just depends on personal preference and the horses personality.

Alterrain
Jul. 1, 2009, 07:00 PM
interesting... thanks for responses!