PDA

View Full Version : Tad Coffin Question

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:40 PM
How do the trees run in Tad Coffin saddles? Are their wides a TRUE wide? I found one on ebay and the seller is described as a wide tree. But based on my experience, it looks like more of a MW or even a M tree. So...does the Tad Coffin run true to 'size'?

Go Fish
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think they run a bit narrow...

WorthTheWait95
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:26 PM
There is no 'true to size' when you're talking about tree width. I consider my Tad Coffin a wide tree. It measures 5" between the nail heads on the underside of the pommel (Tad does not mark these like most brands do with those fuzzy 'dots' so that's based on a guesstimation). In my experience with saddles a 'wide' in other brands usually runs closer to 4.5-4.75" from dot to dot. That's based on the butet and antares I've owned in the past. It fits my wide backed horse like a glove but it def would not work on a draft type back or even a big boned/tall (17hh+) horse that was also wide. In either of those cases I think you'd prob have to go custom anyway though.

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:48 PM
There is no 'true to size' when you're talking about tree width. I consider my Tad Coffin a wide tree. It measures 5" between the nail heads on the underside of the pommel (Tad does not mark these like most brands do with those fuzzy 'dots' so that's based on a guesstimation). In my experience with saddles a 'wide' in other brands usually runs closer to 4.5-4.75" from dot to dot. That's based on the butet and antares I've owned in the past. It fits my wide backed horse like a glove but it def would not work on a draft type back or even a big boned/tall (17hh+) horse that was also wide. In either of those cases I think you'd prob have to go custom anyway though.

With padding, would your saddle be able to comfortably fit a horse that goes in a medium tree with other saddle brands?

Tha Ridge
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:53 PM
With padding, would your saddle be able to comfortably fit a horse that goes in a medium tree with other saddle brands?

Yes, I've found that to be true with my Tad Coffin. I've been riding ~6 horses a day. We have all of the Tad Coffin leather pads and on a medium horse, a thin or medium TC pad (depending on the individual horse) delivers a very, very serviceable fit.

Am I saying that it's always perfect? Absolutely not, but considering that I don't own any of these horses, having one saddle that does a decent job of fitting almost all of them is a very impressive thing.

WorthTheWait95
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:59 PM

Yes. That's what I do for my retired hunter. I used to have a medium tree antares for him when he was showing and my tad + a medium thickness half pad (like a mattes) over a regular square saddle pad seems to fit him well enough.

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
Thank you so much. I'm thinking it might be right for me to purchase it then. :yes:

Bearhunter
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
The TC runs small in the seat however. ;)

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:36 PM
The TC runs small in the seat however. ;)

Haha, I think I'll be good. The one I'm looking at is a 19". I'm 6'2" so I usually require an 18", so I should be good? Thanks for the heads up though!

mvp
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with others: there is not standardization in width between tree points. But there's also no standardization in terms of the shape, thickness and material of the panels.

If you wanted a saddle that was a bit too wide and planned to use pads, I think a TC is a good bet. The tree is well-designed, as is the rest of the saddle (so long as you want relatively straight/short flaps and a shallow seat). Know that the panels tend to be very soft and thin.

I think the only kind of horse I wouldn't hope to fit somehow with a TC would be a real shark-fin.