PDA

View Full Version : Saddle cover to use while riding in the rain...

MintHillFarm
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:19 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion? With all the rain in the east coast and no indoor, I am getting to the point where it seems I will ride more in the rain then not. I am concerned about my saddle though...any thoughts on a cover that I can ride in?

SkipChange
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:39 PM
No clue how well it works but smart pak has one
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=5146&cm_mmc=Shopzilla-_-Shopping%20Feed-_-NA-_-15146

Trixie
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:08 PM
If that works, it looks great.

I just wind up using an old saddle that won't ever see the show ring again.

TSWJB
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
i use just a regular saddle cover that was made out of a vinyl. it works great ! we have an indoor but i like riding much better outside and the outdoor ring footing holds up with all this rain in NJ! it rains everyday! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! i did not make holes for the stirrups either. i have the stirrups under the cover.

MintHillFarm
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:16 PM
No clue how well it works but smart pak has one
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=5146&cm_mmc=Shopzilla-_-Shopping%20Feed-_-NA-_-15146

It looks substantial, thanks for posting this. I will give it a try.
Dover has one, but it looks very flimsy.

As for an old saddle, I have one but it is a 20 yr old Butet that I can't chance ruining it...

mvp
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
You probably remember those beige cotton things of the last century. I have one that's hanging on by its old skool threads because they just don't make 'em any more.

The next time I buy, I'll get go to The Clothes Horse and design one myself if I have to. The Smartpak one looks ok, but you probably want something softer than coated nylon next to your Butet's leather.

Best of luck in your search.

grandprixjump
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:02 PM
Cover-all or Morton, they are great for riding in the rain, and snow...:lol::lol:

Sorry, just having fun...

SarahandSam
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:28 PM
http://www.horse.com/Pro-Craft-Plastic-Saddle-Cover-EKM41.html

I think that's the one I have. It's not terribly tough, but at that price you can get a couple. I like it because it's got slits in the sides that you can put the stirrups/stirrup leathers through, so it's easy to ride in. Just make sure your horse is okay with rustly things on its back--saw a horse freak out at one before. (:

I ripped through mine, but that was through daily use as a saddle dust cover, getting trucked around in my car from barn to barn. And it lasted a year. So it's relatively durable for thin material.

horsepoor
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have the Cashel Saddle Shield. At first, I thought it would be slippery, but it is not -- I have been able to ride and jump and not slip a bit. It has been durable enough for me as long as I am careful when taking it off -- if I pull it off without slipping the stirrups through the openings, it will tear (did it once, stitched it up, and it has been fine ever since). My trainer liked it well enough that he got one for himself.

This is the link to it on Cashel's website. I purchased it from a local tack store but have seen it elsewhere in catalogs:

http://www.cashelcompany.com/ProductDetails.aspx?C=5&SC=25&ProductID=9654

MintHillFarm
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you all for your input...

I agree about considering what the underside material is on the Butet...It is a fragile leather.

I will go with one of the suggestions above and let you know how I make out...

MintHillFarm
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:37 AM
Cover-all or Morton, they are great for riding in the rain, and snow...:lol::lol:

Sorry, just having fun...

I would have to say it would be Morton!

horsepoor
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
I agree about considering what the underside material is on the Butet...It is a fragile leather.

On the Cashel Saddle Shield -- it is a soft material on the inside and I've used it on my buffalo/bull (whatever the fancy leather is) Stabilizer and Innovation and it hasn't left any marks or rubs. I would feel comfortable recommending it to use on any saddle. The County rep was going to get one to protect her demos when she goes to places without an indoor.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you, Horsepoor. I think Cashel makes high quality items...

Twisting
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have the cover from Smartpak and I like it. the seat is nice and tacky and I hardly notice the fabric. It doesn't bunch or rub and I've still got plenty of stick. Only downsides are it just barely fits my 17.5 saddle and it took forever to get to me. I got it about 2 1/2 months after I ordered it.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
Cashel's sounds like the way to go for me...I like their quality on other items I have from them and the price is about 20.00 less too.
Thanks for the update on the SmartPak one though, the time of shipping makes it important too...