PDA

View Full Version : Another saddle thread..sorry

Foxtrot's
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm not in the H/J loop ... young friend of mine has asked me for advice!

She needs a second hand saddle and has seen a Pessoa she likes, fits and the price suits her. But a BNT or two have told her she does not have the seat for the Pessoa and needs an Antares, Butet or County.

I know the saddles are bigger and more padded these days, but is there really such a difference that she would be laughed out of the ring? Any thoughts? She has a really lovely, willing horse, in fact he is the Australian Palomino stallion, part TB stockhorse, part Holsteiner (Coriander) that I mentioned before but he has done aily dressage up to now.

zahena
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
I guess I'm confused on how an Antares would make her seat different? The judge won't see the brand name of the saddle so what difference does it make?

I think fit is your most important issue here for the rider and more importantly the horse.

Foxtrot's
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:15 PM
I thought so, too, but is the Pessoa a very flat saddle - like a Crosby Hunterdon or a Crosby Hampton? Those I could see would be less supportive. Or is there a deeper seat in a Pessoa?

ADD526
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:22 PM
i would think that by the trainer saying she doesnt have the seat for the pessoa it would be saying shes not strong enough to ride without the deep seat and padding of something like a butet?.....no, she wont get "laughed out of the ring"....its sort of like when people say those who learned to ride in the flat crosbys for example ride better becuase they dont have to depend on the padding....while people now adays do depend on it and dont "have the seat" to ride without it

WorthTheWait95
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:24 PM
I thought so, too, but is the Pessoa a very flat saddle - like a Crosby Hunterdon or a Crosby Hampton? Those I could see would be less supportive. Or is there a deeper seat in a Pessoa?

I'd call Pessoa's middle of the range in terms of padding. They certainly have much more then a Hunterdon but less then an antares or devoucoux from what I've seen. If it fits go for it but beware that the newer pessoa's have a reputation of not holding up at all. I have no experience with them personally, that's just what I've heard. I prefer a no frills saddle personally and favor my Tad Coffin over my Butet (which is also very minimal when compared to the Devoucoux's and Antares). I have no clue what the trainer meant by the rider not having the 'correct seat' for a pessoa, that doesn't make sense to me unless the saddle was so ill fitting it was forcing her to ride in a bad position.
If they said it for the reasons listed by ADD above then I think it's even MORE important the rider gets a no frills saddle to learn how to RIDE and not be a passenger in an armchair.

ADD526
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:49 PM
If they said it for the reasons listed by ADD above then I think it's even MORE important the rider gets a no frills saddle to learn how to RIDE and not be a passenger in an armchair.

i agree that it would then be more important for her to ride in the no frills saddle....i think this is why we have a lot of the problems we have in the ring today but thats for another thread ;)

Foxtrot's
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:14 PM
I think I am with you for the advice given; I too had heard that the new Pessoa's were not as good as the old ones (made by Harry Dabbs in the UK) and then recently made in Argentina. Again, not my world, at all. If the saddle fits her horse, and her, and the price is right I'm sure she can do a lot worse than get the Passoa.

Thanks for the speedy replies before it gets sold!

Jo
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'd call Pessoa's middle of the range in terms of padding. They certainly have much more then a Hunterdon but less then an antares or devoucoux from what I've seen.

IME, it depends on the Pessoa. There are a few older Pessoa models that came sans padding - I believe you could order the A/O in the olden days with a plain flap, no rolls or padding. The newer ones I've seen are definitely poofier!

ETA: Here's what I was talking about with the plain flap Pessoa.
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Pessoa-English-Saddle-Great-Condition_W0QQitemZ290327010430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4398d69c7e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

mvp
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:33 PM
I agree with all others that learning to ride without the "benefit" of padding, rolls and a bucket seat is a very good thing, even if it's not the quickest path to an eq perfect position.

Pessoas, even the modern ones, are well-designed, well-balanced saddles. So long as the rider's thigh is long enough for the flap, they can do a nice job of helping someone develop a good position. But all saddles will help or hinder depending on their fit, and that can be frustratingly individual for each horse and rider combination, especially early in the rider's career.

So I'd say make sure the saddle fits both horse and rider. By they way, the horse's conformation and the rider's budget might play huge roles in dictating the saddle. Butets don't fit every build, nor do those and Anteres often show up for the price you should be paying when you aren't quite sure how to fit horse or rider.

Just my $0.02, but if you must buy, learn and possibly lose money while you do, a well-priced Pessoa isn't a bad place to start.

zahena
Jul. 1, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have an old flat as a pancake style saddle and while it was good when I was a kid, I realize that I need a little knee roll to get into and a deeper seat. Now its just more a personal preference. My horse seems to prefer it too.