PDA

View Full Version : Thoroughbred Jumper bloodlines anyone???

jumpingmaya
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:12 PM
Good afternoon everyone!
I am back on the market for a horse that I can bring along as a show jumper. I was wondering if anyone has noticed that specific bloodlines in the thoroughbreds tend to excel in the show jumping ring more than others... I am looking for something that can do the high A/Os if that helps!
My mare was an Irish thoroughbred- huge boned- and was super super as a show jumper. She was out of "World Stage"...
I'm going back and forth between the thoroughbreds and warmbloods... but really like the "attitude" of the thoroughbreds. I'm just a really quiet rider and get along with them really well...
Otherwise, any luck with WB/TB crosses? I am looking for something that is green or even unbroke to bring along, do 1-2 years of dressage on and then start jumping. I've brought many tbds off the track succesfully too.
I'm not so much looking for a "cheap horse", but rather one that can hold up with great care :)
Open to all opinions here! Thank you very much!!! :yes:

Foxtrot's
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:49 PM
There are many threads on this in sporthorse breeding. Viney will chime in and give you
the 'coles notes' of bloodlines. Myself, if I see Turn-to or Buckpasser my eyes pop open.
Also Irish/French lines are jumpers usually. There are a couple of lines not known for their soundness, also. Jumping is a very heritable quality and a lot of the American lines have gone more for speed and precociousness than anything else.

Janet
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:13 PM
Bonne Nuit

Sing Mia Song
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:48 PM
Some more recent stallions I like:

Red Ransom
Cahill Road
Believe It
Fappiano (tend to be great movers)
Academy Award

What part of the country are you in? That will say a lot about what bloodlines might be available near you.

WindyIsles
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Another line I'd chime in for would be Robyn Dancer.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/robyn+dancer

Friend has had 3 or 4 I've helped start under saddle and they have all been fabulous movers with really good minds and work ethics. :yes:

EquiTerra
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Take a look at Coconut Grove. He moved to October Hill Farm pretty recently. We have a 2 yo by him that is turning out very well and will probably event, but CG is very much a showjumper sire.

jumpingmaya
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks everyone! Super helpful :yes:
I'm in Florida... waiting impatiently for the race track to be back in October to be able to get one...
Thanks again for the expertise!! I just got really lucky with my first thoroughbred... not knowing anything about booldlines or anything else...
So I'm trying to be a tad educated on the subject! :winkgrin:

SEPowell
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:31 AM
Alydar

foursocks
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
I don't know much about this, but my TB is all Irish and English on top- Buckpasser, Mill Reef (and thus Never Bend), Red God, etc. He was born to jump, has lots of bone, tidy angles and a great hind end. He also has more stamina than I actually want, most days- and a really deep heartgirth. I bought him for those physical attributes, but when I looked at his lines it made sense- he is built like a big, long distance 'chaser type TB.

jumpingmaya
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:20 PM
I don't know much about this, but my TB is all Irish and English on top- Buckpasser, Mill Reef (and thus Never Bend), Red God, etc. He was born to jump, has lots of bone, tidy angles and a great hind end. He also has more stamina than I actually want, most days- and a really deep heartgirth. I bought him for those physical attributes, but when I looked at his lines it made sense- he is built like a big, long distance 'chaser type TB.

THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm looking for :yes: :yes: :winkgrin:

Spooks
Jul. 2, 2009, 08:55 AM
I have a similar experience as foursocks. My TB is out of a Mill Reef mare and I think that is where he gets his talent (top is all Northern Dancer...not known as a great jumping line as far as I can tell). He has nice big feet, good bone, a great canter and a heck of a jump.

Hauwse
Jul. 2, 2009, 04:17 PM
Some more recent stallions I like:

Red Ransom
Cahill Road
Believe It
Fappiano (tend to be great movers)
Academy Award

What part of the country are you in? That will say a lot about what bloodlines might be available near you.

I believe Fappiano, besides being Cahill Road's Sire was also the leading eventing sire in the US for almost as many years as he had crops. He is also the sire of Unbridled, and Quiet American, two sires that have produced nice hunter/jumpers/eventer's.

I think that Red Ransom's sire Roberto produces very talented hunter/jumpers. There are more than a few out there now doing very well. One that comes to mind is Timely Roberto, a very nice hunter type.

Though many disregard anything after 3 generations I still look back for bloodlines like Teddy, Dark Ronald, Marco, Man O War, Blenheim, French Grey, Nearco, Rock Sand, and follow the lines forward through different threads of modern sires. It becomes very clear that these horses were the progenitors.

fordtraktor
Jul. 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
In previous OTTB threads, I seem to recall seeing a fair bit of Damascus, who hasn't yet been named here. I have a Fappiano/Damascus descendant I adore, but is probably not a GP prospect.

On the sport-bred side, I have a Castle Magic son, now retired, who definitely could have jumped the GPs if I had been a better rider -- all the scope in the world, and a great brain to go along with it. Very forgiving amateur-type as well -- he took me from the children's hunters to the junior jumpers and even a few times in the regular working hunters. I know there are at least a few Castle Magics out there who did the GPs. He does look and ride more like a warmblood, though.

Mine is still as gorgeous as he was as a youngster. When clinicians come in they always point and ask "why isn't HE doing anything?"

Foxtrot's
Jul. 4, 2009, 12:32 AM
Smile, Fordtractor: at the backhanded compliments. I still remember one of my mentors saying in her gruff way, "Biggest waste of a horse I ever did see". Couldn't decide if she was putting down my riding (probably) or saying my horse was gorgeous (which she was)!

fordtraktor
Jul. 4, 2009, 11:35 AM
:) yep, I wish the horse was still doing something! He has ringbone and is pasture sound at best these days.

horserider12
Jul. 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
I go with fappiano as well, here's my 4 year old fathers pedigree, and boy can he jump and is also a ten mover with a great mind

http://www.pedigreequery.com/corroborator

and mom

http://www.pedigreequery.com/esthers+v

EAY
Jul. 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
I go with fappiano as well, here's my 4 year old fathers pedigree, and boy can he jump and is also a ten mover with a great mind

http://www.pedigreequery.com/corroborator

and mom

http://www.pedigreequery.com/esthers+v

My 5-year-old mare doesn't have any Fappiano (or any other Mr. P for that matter) but she does share a lot of the same lines as your horse (Buckpasser, Herbager, Boldnesian, Halo, Prince John). She's also a wonderful mover and has a great temperament, but it's too early to comment on her jump as we haven't done much of that yet but from what I have seen so far she seems to have plenty of scope. I'm hoping she'll make a hunter, so I'm not really expecting her to do anything over 4'. Here's her pedigree:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/mlady+buck

Horserider12, do you have any jumping pictures of your guy?

fordtraktor
Jul. 4, 2009, 01:26 PM
Adding pics of my Castle Magic:
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1297925140053911905oBkbBY

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1297924916053911905vytHLx

Ray
Jul. 4, 2009, 01:42 PM
we have a grandson of Buckpasser, very athletic horse and great temperment. Evented to Intermediate, foxhuntss and now doing A/A jumpers with the ability to do more, ribbons last year in Hunters and Eq as well.

horserider12
Jul. 4, 2009, 06:35 PM
he is only baby greening right now, but one day we did a gymnastic up to 3'6". He just cracks his knees as they get higher, I will take some pics next time and put them up. He also hasn't lost a hack yet in 4 shows against very nice horses. We're going to take him to warrenton for the tb classes, you should take yours!

boosma47
Jul. 5, 2009, 08:38 AM
My son had a Rough and Tumble grandson who was quite tough and opinionated, jumped in a unique style and had scope to burn. He hung his legs when he started out - would just jump higher, did GPs with a respectable record, but breathing issues limited him. He hated schooling, but would be all business in the show ring.

A cool horse with a great personality - you just had to adapt to his way of doing things and he'd do anything for you.

His sire was a full brother to Dr Fager - all Teddy line.

My old TB is Bold Ruler-Round Table and still has the most gorgeous gallop and walk I have ever seen. He was a nice round jumper - preferred hunters, tho, because he'd worry under pressure. Sweet as can be, sound still at 27, just a little bit of a chicken. He had the scope to do bigger jumps, but not the heart.

mortebella
Jul. 5, 2009, 09:03 AM
I believe Fappiano, besides being Cahill Road's Sire was also the leading eventing sire in the US for almost as many years as he had crops. He is also the sire of Unbridled, and Quiet American, two sires that have produced nice hunter/jumpers/eventer's.

I think that Red Ransom's sire Roberto produces very talented hunter/jumpers. There are more than a few out there now doing very well. One that comes to mind is Timely Roberto, a very nice hunter type.

Though many disregard anything after 3 generations I still look back for bloodlines like Teddy, Dark Ronald, Marco, Man O War, Blenheim, French Grey, Nearco, Rock Sand, and follow the lines forward through different threads of modern sires. It becomes very clear that these horses were the progenitors.

There is sort of a way to bring old blood forward; I can't say I understand this completely, but it seems to be a real thing. My sister had an experience breeding some TBs a while back and did the same thing with looking for older bloodlines and putting together "nicks" that would result in a high concentration of that bloodline in the offspring. There are apparently software packages now that help breeders do this and they rate the nicks as A, A+, A++, and so on. A++ nicks to a horse like Rock Sand or Man o' War are incredibly hard to come up with, and she contrived two (in fact she bought the mares because of this) to two stallions at a particular farm, and she never convinced the guy that she didn't use a software package to do it. All these newfangled doings really flipped little ol' us right out. :lol: So take heart, it can be done, and people will think you're a real whiz if you do it. You might even get offered a job as a bloodstock agent!

foursocks
Jul. 5, 2009, 11:16 AM
THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm looking for :yes: :yes: :winkgrin:

Well, if I found another one just like him without the "I know everything and you don't" attitude, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

Here he is: http://www.pedigreequery.com/like+a+rock2

Two pictures (I barely have any, so I've posted these before): http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/sproutsie/CIMG0269.jpg

...and right after I got him, when I was still learning how to sit that rocket booster jump: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/sproutsie/happyjump5.jpg