PDA

View Full Version : Show Barns near Washington DC

French Twist
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
I am moving to DC this fall and may or may not have my horse with me (he's for sale) and am wondering what the boarding/training/show barns are nearby. I'd want a place to board him where I could ride him a few times a week, but have him on training board and continue to be marketed. I do the adult hunters/eq and would like to be at a barn that does both local and A shows. Any input would be great! Thanks.

justdandy
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:50 AM
I highly recommend Rolling Acres in Brookeville, MD. They are awesome!!! They do both local and rated shows.

FarnleyGarnet
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
Welcome to DC! :)

Have you decided where you'll be living and how long (hours/minutes) you're willing to drive to get to the barn? I'm sure you know but the DC metro area is large and traffic is pretty bad. Will you be living in the District or in VA or MD? Would you prefer hunter or jumper? You mentioned training board... is there a budget you need to stay within?

Chad Keenum has a sale barn out near Middleburg, VA; Ed Lane is in Leesburg, VA; Jenny Graham is in Sterling, VA; Katie Huber is in Great Falls, VA; Rolling Acres is in Brookeville, MD. I'm living in Arlington and have always gone out the Toll Road to ride but others say that MD is the way to go. I'm not showing these days so hopefully someone else can add a few more.

theblondejumper
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Ooh I would love some input too! I am going to be in DC also and am debating riding with American University's team or if I should branch out. It's going to be awful not having a car!

AppendixQHLover
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
Reddemeade is in Silver Spring. I have heard good things about them.

The DC area is real congested and traffic can be a nightmare on the beltway.

I live 90 miles SE of Dc and it is nice. No show barns down here though...

FarnleyGarnet
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ooh I would love some input too! I am going to be in DC also and am debating riding with American University's team or if I should branch out. It's going to be awful not having a car!

I'm the Alumni Rep for IHSA Zone 4 Region 1 and see Jeff at the shows all the time. He seems like a great coach. Since you won't have a car I'd say definitely sign up to ride with the team! IHSA is a great experience (although some riders find they really dislike it) and it's a great way to meet friends and ride through college on a budget.

SteeleRdr
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:10 PM
Reddemeade is in Silver Spring. I have heard good things about them.

The DC area is real congested and traffic can be a nightmare on the beltway.

I live 90 miles SE of Dc and it is nice. No show barns down here though...

Reddemeade is not the way to go if the OP wants a hunter/jumper show barn that does local and rated shows.

As was already said, I would definitely look into both Chad Keenum (www.cksporthorses.com) and Rolling Acres. Also, might consider ESP Farm, though don't know how much space they have.

Trixie
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:19 PM
If you don't have a car, you're going to have a very hard time unless you can pay someone to drive you out or use a zipcar.

As for the OP, there's TONS of options, it definitely depends on what your time/budget allow.

theblondejumper
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
I'm the Alumni Rep for IHSA Zone 4 Region 1 and see Jeff at the shows all the time. He seems like a great coach. Since you won't have a car I'd say definitely sign up to ride with the team! IHSA is a great experience (although some riders find they really dislike it) and it's a great way to meet friends and ride through college on a budget.

Thanks I appreciate it! I'm only going to be there for the fall semester through the Washington Semester program and really want to keep up the riding. I've gotten in touch with the AUET captain and she seemed great. I haven't shown IHSA through my home college mostly just tagged along to shows. The only thing I'm worried about is the cost upfront ($500) for lessons.

Pirateer
Jun. 30, 2009, 01:48 PM
If you can, I'd try to get a space with ESP Farms and Rachel Kennedy.

hollyhorse2000
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:38 PM
go to www.Equery.com (I may have that slightly misspelled) and look through the boarding classified. You can also order a copy of the magazine. it's the best place to see what Maryland has to offer . . .

It will all really depend on where you decide to live in the Metro Area . . .

monalisa
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:18 PM
You are going to need to determine your commute before you can determine a barn to ride with in DC. The traffic is TERRIBLE and it can easily take you 2 hours or longer to get to a barn each way, depending on where you live.

Some show barns in the DC area are not good places for equitation training. Some are much better for contrating on the horse, not the rider. There are lots of good trainers to chose from:

Ginny Edwards - Upperville, VA
Rolling Acres - Brookeville, MD
Ali Listrani - Brookeville, MD
Rachel Kennedy - Brookeville, MD
Kim Frey - Hume, VA (Great for jumpers)
Miranda Scott - Meadowbrook (Rock Creek Park)

The only place that is doable without a car Miranda Scott's place - she is in DC but there is no indoor and no turnout. I would caution going anyplace without an indoor in winter.

Good luck. Get used to sitting in traffic ALOT.

French Twist
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! Here are more details:

-I will be living in Foggy Bottom with close access to rt 66.

-I'd be willing to drive an hour from the city to the barn.

-I'm paying training board in Mass, it's not cheap. What does training board at a show barn typically range from there?

-A strong sales reputation for quality hunters & eq is important, as I'm not bringing the horse for myself to enjoy. I'd ride him and maybe show some, but the goal is still to get him sold above all. My trainers here have him going beautifully and he looks wonderful, so it's important that I'm going to a similar situation so he can continue to be marketed and presented similarly well.

loshad
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
The trick about 66 is that at some points in the day it becomes HOV only. If you are headed out to NoVA after work, you won't be able to do it on 66 (between DC and the beltway) unless you bring a buddy. That having been said, I will second or third the recommendation of Chad. He has sold horses for several of my friends and all say they would go back to him.

hollyhorse2000
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:56 PM
It's pretty easy from Foggy Bottom to go West out via Clara Barton Parkway from Georgetown, which turns into River Road to Potomac and Poolesville. This way you miss all the Beltway traffic. Ed Lane is a good A-show hunter trainer. Tartan Farms is the name, as I recall. There are probably others . . .

Trixie
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
Ed Lane was extremely good to me when I was a junior. His farm is now in Lucketts, Virginia though, which may be a bit of a hike for the OP.

AppendixQHLover
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:57 PM
Ok I am just a dodo with the show barns near DC area.

Speedy
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Not Reddemeade, not Rock Creek Park.

thebp
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:40 PM
Anyone have contacT info for Tartan farms?

thebp
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have contact info for Kim Frey and Ginny Edwards too please?

Heineken
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
Given that the OP wants a continuing training situation I would recommend the following:

Rolling Acres (I'm biased as it's where I board)
Woodhall (Peter Foley and Dale C out in Middleburg area, they have a great "program" to keep a horse going)
ESP and Rachel K, she also keeps horses going for LOTS of working ammys and does a great job.
Alan Lohman in Poolesville, he's awesome and has many working ammys who need a "program" as well!

RodeoGirl
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:06 PM
Johnny & Kitty Barker, Eight Oaks Ltd., Middleburg Va.

thebp
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:39 PM
Do you have contact info on Eight Oaks?
Thanks

RiderOfRiley
Jul. 1, 2009, 11:45 AM
Let me throw out a few names too....

Cavallo Farm and Michael Bertozzi in VA, just past Dulles. (cavallofarm.com)
Walnut Pond Farm and Alexandra Listrani in Brookeville MD (301-467-2202)

I've boarded my horse at both farms, commuting from DC (Woodley Park). Both are about 50 minutes to an hour plus, depending on the time of day. Both offer superior training, great care, A and local showing, and wonderful people.

Virtually anywhere you end up in this area, you'll find amazing training and care. Welcome to D.C. You'll love it.

Janet
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:16 PM
What about Meadowwood/ Gavin Moylan?

j_feil
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
I'd second Miranda Scott.

She also teaches at a small private facility in Leesburg. Really top of the line care there. I ended up moving my horse because of the commute, but I miss them so much! She will be able to help you market the horse, lots of choices for shows. PM me for contacts.

Lots of good suggestions here, ESP, Cavallo, and what hollyhorse said about Clara Barton Pkwy/River Rd.

Be aware, that without traffic, Leesburg will be about 45 minutes from DC. Fastest I ever got there from the east side of the Hill was 55 minutes. I was cruising and would not suggest doing the same - cops like Rt. 66. Going much past Leesburg turns into a long drive, although into some of the best horse country anywhere! So if you only wanted to ride on weekends, it may be more doable.

Also, to theblondejumper - I did Wash Sem too! I looked into riding w/ AUET. Coming from Skidmore though, I was limited, as they did not want me showing with another school because of points, yaddayadda. If you really want a fix, I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out, but I took that semester off from riding altogether - didn't/don't regret it at all. Which "track" are taking?

equit8
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:43 PM
I ride with Ed Lane he lets me trailer in for lessons and gives me things to work on my own. His number is 703-431-1005

jse
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:58 AM
Not sure whether the OP has found anything yet but Patagonia Stables in Middleburg just opened up and is fairly affordable. Beautiful farm! PM me for more info!

BABYGREENTB
Aug. 17, 2009, 11:48 AM
Not sure whether the OP has found anything yet but Patagonia Stables in Middleburg just opened up and is fairly affordable. Beautiful farm! PM me for more info!

$1200 seems pretty high to me for just board...

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 17, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ed Lane was extremely good to me when I was a junior. His farm is now in Lucketts, Virginia though, which may be a bit of a hike for the OP.

Where in Lucketts? Also, Lucketts is a snap from DC because you take the Dulles Toll Rd to Rte 15 North and avoid traffic almost completely. I know because I do that commute daily. It takes 55 minutes from Lucketts to the White House (faster to Foggy Bottom if you take the E street exit off 66). In traffic in the a.m., it can take 1.5 hours -- all due to traffic around Arlington on 66.

Trixie
Aug. 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know exactly where in Lucketts since I rode with him when he was still in Poolesville, but I seem to remember Lucketts Rd? Maybe it's Leesburg?

How do you get onto the Toll Rd from DC, YL? You probably have a better route than I do because it always seems like the hours that I head out that way (after work) often the worst of the non-tollroad traffic is the inside the beltway stuff since 66 inside the beltway is HOV at that hour and I've got to find alternatives.

2hsmommy
Aug. 17, 2009, 09:15 PM
$1200 seems pretty high to me for just board...

Agreed.

jse
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:17 PM
Agreed.

Funny, I don't recall naming prices...from what I know, full care board with no training is $800. $1200 is for full board AND training. In this area that is not bad for a full care show barn.

LexInVA
Aug. 17, 2009, 10:25 PM
I concur.

Texan By The Grace Of God
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:34 AM
Kim Stewart at Glenwillow is in Jefferson,MD the horses get GREAT care.

M. O'Connor
Aug. 18, 2009, 07:34 AM
Agreed.

Well--on the face of it, maybe, but for full care training/show board (which is what the OP asked about), I would question how it could be done for less ($1200 is pretty much the minimum going rate for that sort of thing), unless the showing were limited to locals, and a good portion of the care was DIY.

2hsmommy
Aug. 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Funny, I don't recall naming prices...from what I know, full care board with no training is $800. $1200 is for full board AND training. In this area that is not bad for a full care show barn.

Very true. You didn't state prices. But a quick search of Patagonia Stables brings up this ad http://virginiaequestrian.com/main.cfm?action=Classifieds&sub=view&ID=44298
I just went by what I read, my impression of the ad - $1200 for boarding.
That said, $800 is very fair for around here for full care and $1200 is very fair for full care and training, but the ad doesn't state that.
I was just going by the info I could find.

JustJump
Aug. 18, 2009, 09:11 AM

If you name a barn, and the barn has been advertised, and the advertisement states prices, why get snarky when they are discussed?

Especially as they are the going rate, and not at all out of line?

BABYGREENTB
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:39 AM

Their ad on Virginia Equestrian says $1200 for full care care board. I googled because I was curious, just seemed high and I only commented because you had specifically said in your post that it was affordable. If $1200 is training full care board, then yes, it is decent.

Doberpei
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:48 AM
go to www.Equery.com (I may have that slightly misspelled) and look through the boarding classified. You can also order a copy of the magazine. it's the best place to see what Maryland has to offer . . .

It will all really depend on where you decide to live in the Metro Area . . .

The Equiery website is www.equiery.com and the phone number is 800-244-9580 - they can send you a copy of the magazine, and their boarding stable list is online as well.

HJALO
Aug. 19, 2009, 05:07 PM
I second (or third or fourth or whatever) Rolling Acres wholeheartedly. I lived in Rockville and drove out there after work and it only took me an hour during rush hour. Otherwise it was only 20 min. to Brookeville. Fantastic situation if you're working 9-5 (or later as I was) since they're open til 9pm. Great folks. :)

pday09
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:36 PM
The barns you'll want your horse at are all going to be about an hour away. The ones close (Meadowbrook in Rock Creek, Reddemeade, Woodland, ect) are mostly lesson barns that cater to casual riders that live in the 'burbs that don't want to drive far, and dont do as much showing and have as nice properties.
I don't do hunters, (jumpers and eventing) but I hear good things about Walnut Pond (near Waredaca, I believe, a great eventing facility) and Rolling Acres.
As far as money, full board at an amazing eventing place about an hour from the city is 725, training board is not cheap, but if you find a good situation it will be worth it.

theblondejumper
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
Wish I had access to a car to take advantage of some of these great sounding barns! I inquired at Meadowbrook but as I will only be here for a semester I wasn't able to commit to their 32 week program. Bummer.

Good luck to the OP!

jse
Aug. 20, 2009, 04:43 PM
If you name a barn, and the barn has been advertised, and the advertisement states prices, why get snarky when they are discussed?

Especially as they are the going rate, and not at all out of line?

I honestly was not trying to be snarky at all. I just didn't remember posting any pricing, but the ad did state a price and has since been edited for clarity, thanks to the fact that you guys pointed it out. It is $800 for full care, no DIY. The $1200 (to be clear) is for that full board plus training. Sorry about the mix up guys and I also apologize if I sounded snarky. I really didn't mean for it to read that way.

Carol Ames
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:17 PM
sTONEGATE IN MIDDLEBURG/ ALDIE

JustJump
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:41 PM
Have heard that Stonegate is questionable.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:50 AM
I don't know exactly where in Lucketts since I rode with him when he was still in Poolesville, but I seem to remember Lucketts Rd? Maybe it's Leesburg?

How do you get onto the Toll Rd from DC, YL? You probably have a better route than I do because it always seems like the hours that I head out that way (after work) often the worst of the non-tollroad traffic is the inside the beltway stuff since 66 inside the beltway is HOV at that hour and I've got to find alternatives.

It seems I very rarely am leaving the office during HOV hours - after 7:30 p.m. is best in terms of traffic - then I can make it home in under an hour. (My farm is right off Rte 15, which helps). During HOV hours I take the GW parkway, or take a buddy for the 66 rte.

touchstone-
Aug. 21, 2009, 12:40 PM
My sister had a very good experience at Rolling Acres when she was in DC for a short time. I think there's no way around the traffic. But she said that the training was wonderful.

French Twist
Aug. 21, 2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you EVERYONE!!! What an amazing response. I was surprised to see the thread resurrected recently, so I will post an update... my horse and I both had moves last week: I've arrived in DC and he has gone out on a lease/option to buy for a year at another barn in Mass. I'm happy/sad, as one would expect. It would have been nice to have my boy with me, but good for him to find a new home. I'll definitely save this thread as a reference, as knowing me, I won't be able to stay away from riding for very long.

And PS you were all right about the traffic. I thought I was a tough Bostonian, used to terrible traffic, but DC/Arlington/Baltimore area definitely has Boston beat by a mile. It took me 4 hours, yes 4 HOURS, round trip to drop my Dad off at BWI during rush hour yesterday. Yikes!! I'll never complain about Massachusetts traffic on 93 or 128 again. :)

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 21, 2009, 03:01 PM
And PS you were all right about the traffic. I thought I was a tough Bostonian, used to terrible traffic, but DC/Arlington/Baltimore area definitely has Boston beat by a mile. It took me 4 hours, yes 4 HOURS, round trip to drop my Dad off at BWI during rush hour yesterday. Yikes!! I'll never complain about Massachusetts traffic on 93 or 128 again. :)

Okay, well that is an extreme example. My husband flies in and out of BWI all the time and it has never taken us more than an hour to get there from our apt in DC or our farm in NOVA. We usually try to avoid going there in rush hour, though.

Sing Mia Song
Aug. 21, 2009, 03:07 PM

Yup, it's gridlock central. I grew up in Boston and moved here 20+ years ago. WTOP (103.5) Traffic & Weather on the 8s is a godsend!

avicia
Aug. 21, 2009, 04:31 PM
part of learning your way around here is timing the traffic and your route...and when to combine public transport with your car makes sense, and when it's pretty useless. Unlike how LA seems to me when I go there, on most days here you can predict it fairly well. Picking a barn would definitely involve route planning along with time of day...a very complicated metric!