PDA

View Full Version : Saddle fit for the growing horse

Windblass
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
I have a 5 year old thoroughbred. I had my saddle fitted 3 weeks ago and it fit well, no need for any changes. Well last night I noticed that it was sitting on his withers and he was uncomfortable. My coach and I starting checking to make sure it was in the right spot etc. Well we noticed that his bum has shot up and he is about an inch taller in the back end.

How do you keep a saddle fitting a youngster while they are growing? I can't afford to buy a new one ever few months when he grows.

Come Shine
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
What about one of those saddle fitter pads with the adjustable velcro pieces?

chawley
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:08 PM
The Mattes Correction Pad works well in this situation. It has four different areas that can be adjusted w/ shims. It worked great on my horse when I was bringing him back from a year long lay-off.

Carrie D
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
I know you said you can't afford to buy a new saddle every few months. However maybe considering investing in a Bates Saddle with the interchangable trees. Then you will always be prepared for any size horse. I went through 3 saddles with my OTTB several years ago. I now own a belgium/QH cross who I have had since he was 3 months old and is now 5. I have been able to just adjust the tree to the size that fits him best including downwards when he slimmed down with exercise. The Bates Saddle has paid off as a great investment for me.

Windblass
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have a collegiate with the adjustable tree. I may just have to change the tree every time he grows. I am going to look at pads next time I am at the tack store.

Thanks