PDA

View Full Version : Question about Schooling Shows and Points...

grandprixjump
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:12 AM
We are trying to put on a series of schooling shows at our farm, and was told that the POINTS are more important than a well run show, with prize money?

I'm trying to run this show at a price point that everyone could afford to come, show, and have fun. Without breaking the bank. We have a decent set of jumps, JumPVC, stone wall, gates, wishing wells, planks, even a liverpool.

Trixie
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:22 AM
It depends, I think, on your general clientele. If there's a big local show circuit in the area that's running a lot of shows with points, sometimes it seems silly to go to one that doesn't. It's definitely a plus to be able to earn points in an association, plus there's backup if the show is poorly run.

I'll show at a show without points, especially if there's prize money involved, but if the choice is between a local "unknown" show and one with points, I'll go to the one with points because it gives a better idea of the standard by which it's run.

SEP
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:26 AM
Are the points, that are important for a local associastion or the USEF?

If they are for a local association find out what their requirements are for , approving a show and see if you can meet those requirements. In my area it is around $35.00 to approve a show for a local association. You had to use their approved judges and offer certain classes.

If these points are for USEF then I would find out about getting the show rated, this could be pricey I don't know.

Or you could put on your own series and offer year end highpoint awards on your own. Make sure they are nice prizes like bridles or leather halters with name plates.

I hope this helps.

EAY
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:47 AM
The barn where I board at puts on a number of shows every year, some that accumulate points and some that don't, and they do tend to get a better turn-out at the former rather than the latter. The strange thing is that they don't offer nice prizes, just a ribbon and a trophy, but the points do seem to motivate people anyway.

Some of the local associations do put on bigger show series with end of the year banquets and prizes, and I've heard people say they do certain series versus others based on what kind of prizes are on offer rather than on how well the series is run.

findeight
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:44 PM
We are trying to put on a series of schooling shows at our farm, and was told that the POINTS are more important than a well run show...

Well, you can give all the points you want but if it's badly run, not too many will come more then once. These days people like to feel they got their money's worth and had a pleasant experience.

I think what was meant was that even with a well run show, you will not attract too many from outside your barn unless you do offer points with your local and regional affiliates or independent associations towards their year end awards.
You know, like the Payne County H/J association or your state level groups.

You do have to join, under $50 a year for most. Pay a fee to list the show and approve it for points You have to meet some basic, common sense standards-like at least port o pots, some type of food, an attempt at a sound system, decent courses, decent judge. But your date gets placed on that associations calendar and website and you get access to their mailing list.

It is actually smart business to go ahead and do that. They track the points earned and you benefit from that membership base.

But, again, put on a crappy show and the points won't help you attract exhibitors.