PDA

View Full Version : How far would you travel for $500 classic?

MyGiantPony
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:59 AM
Non-rated show, really nice courses, good judges.

Would that be incentive for you to come to a show?

Smiles
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:03 AM
Our local shows (not rated) offer $1000 classics and are not getting the people to come to them. Its just a sign of the times. Money offer in classics is nice since local show don't offer money towards divisions or anything, but even with a classic you may not pay off you show bill so that many be the deturant. Perhaps lower the price of divisions/classes and you will attract more show goers instead of offering a classic.

MyGiantPony
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
Our classes are only $10, no grounds fee, no office fee. Not sure where we can cut corners and not go in the hole, but I think I might be able to get sponsorship for some prize money and wonder if it would be worthwhile to offer a classic at our fall show.

findeight
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nope.

Split that 500 amongst the 8 that usually are awarded anything in a Classic and even first place will barely clear entries, gas and associated expenses-if that. Even if you only split 6 ways, first would probably only get 150 or so.

Not worth it unless you happen to be going anyway.

Pirateer
Jun. 30, 2009, 01:14 PM
Split it amongst top 4, maybe?

I can't say that I have ever gone to a show because of a classic or other money class.

IslandGirl
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hunter or jumper classic? And what would the jump heights be?

touchstone-
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
Not far. Even the winner's take is not going to pay for too much shipping.

MyGiantPony
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hunter or jumper classic? And what would the jump heights be?

Hunter classic, and jumps would be 2'9 or maybe 3'. We don't seem to draw any entries willing to do 3'. Our 2'6 classes seem to be the biggest except for cross rails.

Trying to figure out a way to grow the show.

Giddy-up
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:51 PM
Have classics in the divisions that fill the most. Our local unrated circuit has a rough time getting tons (10+) in a jr/adult 3' classic or even if they open it up to pros too, but those long/ss (1'6" or an X), 2'3" & 2'6" classics fill like crazy (20+). The riders love getting to do a special class with 2 rounds (announcing the scores makes it fun) & the fun ribbon & a victory gallop (ok, sometimes walk/trot for safety ;)) & a little prize money ($250 or $500). They usually do the long/ss classic as an eq, but the other heights run either as a eq or hunter classic. Or maybe make it fun--do the 1st round hunter & the 2nd round eq so it's combined?

I personally wouldn't be enticed for a $500 classic if it's a show I am not already attending. I sometimes don't do the classics at the shows I already attend even if it's offered cause I either don't want to spend more $ or it's not convienent on the schedule. I know managers want to makes classics "special", but if I am done early Sunday, I don't want to wait until the very end last class of the day for a classic. And I am not going to pay an extra $40 or whatever they charge if they make my regular adult hunter trip the 1st round of the classic (which I am doing anyways) so I really only get 1 more trip for that money. I want to wear my shad & get dressed up...not worth it for 1 trip. Make the classic an actual 2 round stand alone class if you want it to be "special".

poltroon
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:56 PM
For me personally, I always figure that the odds that I'll win any prize money aren't all that high. I'd rather pick a show with low expenses and with good courses and footing rather than gamble on trying to win some of my money back.

dghunter
Jul. 1, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'm not willing to travel very far anyways. I try to avoid going to shows where I would need to stay overnight.

Let me preface this by saying I know that many people don't like the 2'6" divisions, etc, etc, etc... However, you did say your 2'6" divisions are filling and what would draw me as a 2'6" rider to travel a bit farther is a nice equitation class offered o/f, a classic of some type (show near us is offering a low adult classic, unfortunately I won't be able to do it :( :(), hunter derby offered at 2'6" would be amazing! Unfortunately in this economy I understand how hard it can be to draw people.

That being said the two shows I am most excited about for this year are the shows were the classes are $9 and there are no extra fees. The footing is pretty decent and the one show is even on grass. They offer huge ribbons and a prize for each first place (don't ask me how they afford it... one is a Kiwanis show and the other is for a Fire Department). The shows are a lot of fun and right now it's just about the experience for us so the cheap shows are GREAT! I don't know how it has been in the past couple years but the year I went there were 22 people in my one class so it seems like it's a pretty good draw. I don't remember how many there were in my other classes...

Some of the judging is a bit suspect but to go to a show and pay under $100 for the whole day is well worth it to me (and that includes food, gas, and trainer fees!) Like I said for the time being it's just about experience and I can just as easily gain experience at a show like that as at a C show somewhere else that charges more.

The most important thing to me in the end is safety. Good footing, everything looks to be in good repair, etc...

HobbyHorse101
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:18 PM
I don't know how far I would go for a classic but one of the local circuits around here has a $500 2'6 hunter classic at all their shows, and a $1,000 2'6-2'9 jumper classic at two. I enjoy the shows because they are held at nice places, and champion in every division gets a very nice leather halter or nice schooling saddle pad embroided with the show name. I've known people coming all the way from ohio to show at this show, and most are held in Missouri/Kansas.