PDA

View Full Version : Comment this horse pic.

Secretariat1194
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
Okay. We are trying to bring this horse back into shape so the barn keeps her. She was off for 9-12 months is what the barn manager said to me last conversation we had. Before that, my instructor believes she was trained wrong. How does she look under saddle? (The horse, not rider) Not me in the saddle though. Another rider at the barn. Thanks.

http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/ii450/secretariat1194/?action=view&current=April001.jpg

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii450/secretariat1194/April16ed.jpg

NEW ADDED CROPPED PIC http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii450/secretariat1194/April012ED.jpg Bad pic on riders part but they are getting use to each other each and every ride. :)

Secretariat1194
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:08 AM
Bad angles on first photo. Will post better ones in the upcoming days. :)

RxCate
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
It's very tell how a horse is going under saddle from a picture.. Videos would be much more helpful.

jen-s
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:41 AM
Definitely post more pics. She's cute and has a sweet face. Would love to see more of her.

findeight
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:46 AM
Can't see much from these pics...what exactly is out of shape on her that needs to be brought back?

Also, how many different riders does she have, what kind of an overall program is she in and how does the barn do in the management department-you know, feed, supplements, vet and farrier?

farmgirl88
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:10 PM
I dont think you'll have much of a problem bringing her back if shes had a year off. i'd say start from step 1 if she's had a bad experience in her past. start by lounging, then with side reins. strat with a basic bit, not the elevator you have on in the photo. start simple and basic.

then work undersaddle at the walk and trot. forward with compulsion and pace. DO NOT overwork her in draw reins. i was always told by trainers to do 1-2 days a week maximum. i had a warmblood mare who was extremely over-worked in draw reins. she did nothing but get heavy and whenever you wanted contact, she had no mouth, and her head would go straight to her chest.

dont rush it and take it easy. ground pole and cavaletti work does wonders. collection/extension. she looks wellt aken cre of, fat happy and im assuming sound.

just take it easy, start basic. if she gets ring sour, work her in a paddock or field. keep the scenery new for her. i highly doubt shes much of a problem but start slow and from step 1 to get her going again. a refresher could never hurt

farmgirl88
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:24 PM
I dont think you'll have much of a problem bringing her back if shes had a year off. i'd say start from step 1 if she's had a bad experience in her past. start by lounging, then with side reins. strat with a basic bit, not the elevator you have on in the photo. start simple and basic.

then work undersaddle at the walk and trot. forward with compulsion and pace. DO NOT overwork her in draw reins. i was always told by trainers to do 1-2 days a week maximum. i had a warmblood mare who was extremely over-worked in draw reins. she did nothing but get heavy and whenever you wanted contact, she had no mouth, and her head would go straight to her chest.

dont rush it and take it easy. ground pole and cavaletti work does wonders. collection/extension. she looks wellt aken cre of, fat happy and im assuming sound.

just take it easy, start basic. if she gets ring sour, work her in a paddock or field. keep the scenery new for her. i highly doubt shes much of a problem but start slow and from step 1 to get her going again. a refresher could never hurt

horsestablereview
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:28 PM
Pretty horse.

Agree with farmgirl88. She looks very sweet, but her muscling is on her underneck, not her topline. Spend a lot of time addressing stretching over her back and really strengthening those back and topline muscles.

The pictures make it kind of hard to judge much but farmgirl88's ideas about lunging in side reins is good for any horse (and there's a proper way to lunge in side reins and an improper way - get some help from a good dressage trainer on proper lunging). I wouldn't recommend draw reins unless she refuses to stay engaged through the transitions (horses can learn to lean against the draw reins and still not engage properly or learn to get behind the bit). If she can/the rider can handle it, I'd recommend a french link loose ring snaffle for the bringing back work and shelf the elevator until she knows how to take the contact and bend through her body.

Lovely looking mare. Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck!

Secretariat1194
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
Can't see much from these pics...what exactly is out of shape on her that needs to be brought back?

Also, how many different riders does she have, what kind of an overall program is she in and how does the barn do in the management department-you know, feed, supplements, vet and farrier?

She has one steady rider that takes a lesson a week and a hack when she can get a ride to the barn. There was another girl on her but what the weekly rider was teaching her was so called being ruined with different training methods and an inexperienced rider from word of mouth. Outofshape in the sense that she was trained incorrectly to begin with and doesn't know basic leg cues or anything that a regulary, correctly trained horse would know. I will try to get a video this coming weekend. Right now, since she wasn't used at all, she goes shoeless but does get regulary trimmed. Her feed was very minimum due to not being active. My instructor has been feeding her more to put on some muscle. She was basically no muscle in her back or hind. Overall, she is being ridden weekly my a experienced junior rider and once in a while by another girl.

* I believe the barn staff choice of a mylar bit was that it would be softer on her mouth unlike her previous bit.*