PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Rhode Island with nice school horses and quality advanced training

Beau Cheval
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm in Rhode Island for the next month and I really want to keep up with my riding and get a chance to ride more and different horses. After my month in RI i'm going to right to a WS position, so I'd like to be fresh, schooled up, and ready for that. I'm going to be a few miles out of Narragansett if anyone knows the area. I'm about mini-medal level and I'd like to get the opportunity to hone my skills at that level on a capable horse, since lately my only opportunities have been greenies.
thanks!

heartinrye
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:45 PM
How far are you willing to drive? There isn't much in RI itself.
You should realize that since you are at 'mini-medal level' (which is 2'-2'6 right?) trainer aren't going to be having you ride lots of horses, unless of course you lesson on their different schoolies.

2boys
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:21 AM
There are a lot of really nice farms in the area. Check out equinesite.com. There is a bb, and a search venue for you to specifically look for barns in RI too. Good luck. :)

Rhody Ram
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:40 AM
I have lived in Narragansett for the past 2 years (sept-may) for school. Look in the East Greenwich area, that's about as close as you're going to get. Also realize that any big barn is on the road most of the summer. Hopefully you can still get some help with an assistant trainer.

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:15 AM
The "mini-medals" at the rated shows are typically 3'-3'3".

htrjmpr
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:18 AM
Sandy Point stables with Jay Sargent might be a good option for you!

Beau Cheval
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:48 AM
I think i have a friend who used to ride and board at Sandy Point, now that you mention it. Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, pre-mini is 2'6, mini is 3'-3'3
I didn't mean putting me on their horses, just riding capable horses in my lessons.

thebp
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
Beware Sandy Point.....just sayin

Rue Belle
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:36 AM
jay is great. she is tough, and no-nonsense. she's not a baby-sitter. mark deblasio is good too. very good trainer, who his funny and has a laid-back attitude. there are people in rehoboth, mass that is worth looking into: whitney hollinger, dawn dorrance. both of these trainers bring good riders and nice horses to the shows.

good luck!

Rue Belle
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
side note: in rhode island, they call the 2'6" (childrens eq) mini medals. kids who jump 3' and up are in the junior divisions. at the ri finals, the junior medal is 3'. there is no such thing as pre-mini medal. just a little heads up when talking to a potential trainer. :D

Beau Cheval
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
Haha ok, thanks for that! I did eventing/combined training when i rode in RI and have done the Hunter/Eq/Jumper stuff only on Long Island. Thanks again everyone!

Silk
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:12 PM
Jay is fair, honest and a good, long time pro in the area. she grew up in the business and has been successful for 40 years. She gets the job done and has empathy for her animals. There are things she will not put up with...namely any association with those professionals who abuse horses or break the rules. PM me if you want more details;) I have and would send horses to her to be sold without worry.

Celeritas
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:31 PM
Check out Pilot Point Farm in Chepachet. The trainer is Regan Duffee, the farm is smallish but gorgeous, she's a great trainer and her students have been quite successful.

Pirateer
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, our local mini-medals have been at 2'9. I'd specifically state the fence height you are doing or 3' Eq or whatever.

Silk
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:42 PM
Check out Pilot Point Farm in Chepachet. The trainer is Regan Duffee, the farm is smallish but gorgeous, she's a great trainer and her students have been quite successful.

Also a good choice..but she is on the other side of the state! Oh wait..the state is like 6 miles long, so it is probably a pretty doable commute - LOL!!!

Jumper6252
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:43 PM

Another vote for Regan, she's great!

heartinrye
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
Also a good choice..but she is on the other side of the state! Oh wait..the state is like 6 miles long, so it is probably a pretty doable commute - LOL!!!

While its only 6 miles long, there is 5 1/2 miles of water in between point A and point B, so it still takes you 3973502 hours to go 6 miles... haha