PDA

View Full Version : Braiding?

A168HJ
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
What rated shows do you have to braid for?

Pirateer
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
What division? What rating? Many local shows suggest braiding, some AA divisions don't need braids.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:05 PM
As a rule, I braid for any show that has an A or AA rating, except for unjudged warm-up classes. I may braid for B shows, depending on the class I'm showing in.

2DaPoint
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:18 AM
Feeling snarky this morning, I have this to say: If you have to ask, you shouldn't be going.
If it's a RATED show, you braid. If it's a local show, chances are you don't braid.

As an afterthought on my nasty reply, and another query, have some of you been to A/AA shows where you DIDN'T braid??

I'm rarely this snitty......

DMK
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:55 AM
Feeling snarky this morning, I have this to say: If you have to ask, you shouldn't be going.
If it's a RATED show, you braid. If it's a local show, chances are you don't braid.

As an afterthought on my nasty reply, and another query, have some of you been to A/AA shows where you DIDN'T braid??

I never bother braiding for unrated divisions unless the horse happens to be in a rated division on the same day. For me that has always been the modifieds on Friday or whatever warm up classes are early in the week for the pro divisions. I'm not sure I would braid/not braid for something like a 2'6 baby green or pre-adult class, but chances are I won't be making that decision anytime soon. My thoughts are if you are jumping 2'6 there are lots of local shows with those sorts of classes, why pay USEF fees to get mileage on a younger horse?

To the MAX
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:09 AM
My thoughts are if you are jumping 2'6 there are lots of local shows with those sorts of classes, why pay USEF fees to get mileage on a younger horse?

I can answer this. The jumps are the size they are supposed to be, they are decorated more impressively, the lines are set correctly, and the atmosphere is completely different than at a local show. All things that a greenie needs to get used to. You can't always find all of these things together at a local level show.

sarcam02
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:20 AM
I have always braided my daughters ponies for every show - from schooling to AA. I only do tails (to keep them in great shape) for the AA shows.

Queen Latisha
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
I braid for A and AA shows only. When my Baby Green moves up to a rated division, I'll start braiding for every show.:D

indygirl2560
Jun. 30, 2009, 10:53 AM
I only braid for A and AA, although my medal finals class in April(which was a B/C rating), everyone braided because it was the finals.

DMK
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:05 AM
I can answer this. The jumps are the size they are supposed to be, they are decorated more impressively, the lines are set correctly, and the atmosphere is completely different than at a local show. All things that a greenie needs to get used to. You can't always find all of these things together at a local level show.

In some areas you can't, fortunately down here we have two managers who do A/AA shows and also some local shows. I've noticed they drag out the same jumps for both. ;) The lines are generally only set on the twelve step but that's appropriate for the small jumps and the judging may be hit or miss, but again, if it is for experience not points I only care about the jumps and footing.

But yes, if you can't get the decent jumps/footing, you may have to spend the extra bucks, in which I can only say, sux 2 b u! :p

To the MAX
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:14 AM
Lol, yeah...around here during the summer, all of the show managers that do the A/AA shows are, well, doing the A/AA shows. :lol: We have tons and tons of places to show, but during the summer they are usually rated shows. We do have great schooling shows here during the winter, when everyone goes down to FL, the facilities that hold all of the rated shows put on a great schooling show series.

Midge
Jun. 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
My thoughts are if you are jumping 2'6 there are lots of local shows with those sorts of classes, why pay USEF fees to get mileage on a younger horse?

Cody continues the trend started with Roxanne: no A horse show dollars will be spent jumping 2'6"!

chawley
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:15 PM

Well thank goodness, because we'd hate to make a poster feel dumb just for asking a question. :)

As 2DaPoint and others have said, I would typical braid for an A or AA show, and sometimes a B show, with the exception of warm-up. I know some don't braid for the Modified Hunters or other local divisions at an A show, but I'm a bit old fashion and still think that it's appropriate.

DMK
Jun. 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
no A horse show dollars will be spent jumping 2'6"!

Right there with you, sister! I mean that is a lot of bottles of two buck chuck I'd be passing on for the glory of cantering around jumps previously jumped by an expensive horse. :D

Midge
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:00 PM
Just a couple weeks ago, if I squinted just right and held my head to the side, I saw the pre-green division off in the distance. Of course, that was before I started mixing bran and epsom salts with a bit of water, slathering on aformentioned Cody's foot, adding brown paper, a sock, vet wrap and finally, duct tape, before letting him hobble back to his stall. Who knows if there'll even be a distance to the cross rail, once I am back in the tack. <sigh> It's always something.

ShoTime891
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:17 PM
I braid for every show. I like the tradition. I think it's lazy/sloppy when a horse is unbraided.