PDA

View Full Version : Shows in NY and DOT/ Police?

vestito
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:13 PM
Just got an email alerting people driving in NY with a horse trailer. Went something like, going to a show, prize money you need a DOT number.They also said you need to have a fire extinguisher. They are checking trailer chains that need to be hooked in a specific manner.
The email also said that someone from the DOT said NY needs the money and are targeting horse trailers.
SO is this really happening? Anyone had this experience in NY lately? The reported fine was around 3,500.
I remember back 10 years ago this happened in Maine and it was true. Just checking to see if this is really happening in NY. With Hits starting I would think we would have heard something other than one email.

supershorty628
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
What is a DOT number?
I haven't heard anything like this, but if it's true, I need to go get some stuff...

vestito
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:08 AM
DOT = Department of Transportation
Ok I have cut and pasted the email I received for anyone who would like to read it over. I didnt write this I only received it and thought I would see if anyone else has had trouble with NY

f you're travelling in or through NY state, you might want to look into this.

FYI!!!! This is said to have happened in NY but check with YOUR DOT laws too!!

>
>
> One of the local harness racing people up here got pulled over by the
> DOT yesterday and left with fines totaling $3300!!!! Every single
> infraction of the DOT laws carries a $350 fine!
> He was hauling 2 horses from his farm to the track at Vernon Downs -
> IOW, not on a major highway like the NYS Thruway. I don't remember
> every single thing he was cited for but here is what I DO remember:
> No fire extinguisher
> Chains from trailer to truck not hooked "per regulations"
> Wire for emergency brakes attached to the same part of the truck as the
chains
> Dead battery in the emergency brakes on the trailer
> No DOT number (he hauls his own horses ONLY in a 2 horse trailer like I
do)
> They had him pulled over on the side of the road for a long, long time
> checking everything. They even pulled the battery out of the emergency
> brake and made him drive forward 100 feet and stop to see if the
> trailer brakes functioned properly. Before he left, the DOT officer
> told him they are stopping all horse trailers because "NY is broke and
> needs the money".
> I tried looking up the DOT regulations on both the NYS and Federal
> websites and could not find ANY guidance whatsoever so I contacted the
> NYS DOT and talked to a very nice guy who confirmed that they ARE
> stopping horse/livestock trailers when they see them, the fines ARE
> exactly as I quoted above - $350 per infraction - and that everything I
> was told he was fined for IS correct. BTW - NY follows Federal
> regulations so this applies to other states.
> I specifically asked how chains are supposed to be hooked and he said
> "Oh there is a very specific way they must be hooked to your truck
> hitch". He is sending me the DOT manual today because he did not want
> to mislead me by trying to explain "how" over the phone.
> He told me that even though I haul only my own horses, that since I
> show and some of those shows offer prize money, that is considered to
> be "commerce" and therefore I need a DOT number. He said, and I quote,
> "You don't want to have to pay THAT fine if you get stopped!". He also
> said that if you go even a foot across the state line, by federal law
> you are in "interstate commerce" and therefore need a DOT number.
> If you don't have a DOT number, you can apply for one here:
> http://www.fmcsa . dot.gov/
> He advised me not to take my trailer out on the road AT ALL until I get
> the manual he is sending and go through my whole trailer to make sure I
> am in compliance. I will share the info from the manual when I get it..
>Â If you want to get one of your own, contact the NYS DOT

MHM
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:15 AM
This was discussed within the past week over on the Off Course forum.

Merle
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:42 AM
I just read through the thread over in the Off Course forum and no one had had a personal experience with this ... well, I just wanted to add that yes they are pulling over trailers. Not once in years of hauling have I or my husband been pulled over with a trailer but a couple weeks ago while bringing my new horse home we were pulled over while towing the trailer. The cop claimed we were speeding in a 45 mph work zone -- not true. We had been following a work vehicle at slow speed for miles, before the beginning of construction. He did ask us if we were coming from a show, which we were not, and then proceeded to backtrack and give us some bogus ticket for not being buckled up. :confused: We just sent in the ticket to get it over with and not fight it but it was just weird. Really really weird. We were not speeding, that's for sure, and certainly were buckled up (which the officer acknowledged!!!!). He just said he would give us this ticket since we seemed like nice people.

So ... be careful out there on the NY state roads! :(

ZIL
Jun. 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
Well, Michael Bloomberg has a lot of political clout in NY and might be receptive to citizen complaints on this issue given his family's involvement in horses. There are also other public figures in that area invested in the horse world that could help since they or their families might be at risk of encountering this wave of enforcement (Lou Dobbs and Bruce Springsteen come to mind). Perhaps contacting one of them, in addition to state legislators, might prove effective.

Jumphigh83
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:23 AM
Leave it to the Empire State to lead the police state charge! :no::no:

classicsporthorses
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:53 PM
Okay before everyone gets their panties in a bunch. The rules and regs to transport are not only NYS DOT rules but also FEDERAL DOT rules.

If your rig is over 10,000 pounds and you haul and are a business, and this applies if it's horses, fuel oil or apples, you have to have a DOT number, among other things on your truck.

As an example, we are a horse farm that has income obviously. Our rig, a Chevy 2500 and a stock trailer but my husband is NOT a professional hauler, but we are a farm. We have our DOT # on our farm, along with our farm name. While my husband does have his CDL it is not required unless your truck and trailer are I think over a much larger weight limit.

We have a log book, for interstate travel and the required things in our truck. We had the NYS DOT person at our farm to explain it all to us.

If you are some little BP or doing shows for pleasure, like your person intersest and don't get paid and if your rig is not over the 10,000 pounds then don't worry about it.

Probably the reason the individual mentioned in that email got the fine is b/c they were breaking the law!

One may think "Oh, it wont' happen to me, they'll never know" but it takes one time and the fines are heafty and your rig can be impounded on the spot.

showponies
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
This has been a subject in many different groups lately...I contacted the DOT, thinking that I was in need of a CDL..( 1 ton dully truck, 6 horse gooseneck trailer) It is clearly stated that horse trailers and RV's are not included. Now if you are commercial, I am sure it is different...I have an email from DOt along with my DOT book that states horse trailers are not included, just incase I get pulled over.