PDA

View Full Version : Unicorns in hunters?????

snaffle635
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:03 PM
So, I'm reading the hunter judging rules at usef.org (just cause I'm nerdy and I like to do stuff like that) and came across this in section HU-5:

e. Teams, pairs and unicorns (abreast and tandem) should be judged as a single unit,
scoring only major faults at each obstacle.

What are unicorns????

angrychinchillas
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:18 PM
I think it's a trio, with one horse leading and two abreast behind him, in a triangle-esque formation. Never seen it done, though - wouldn't that be entertaining to watch?

For that matter, I never see pairs anymore, either. I think that should be brought back. Anyone? ;)

snaffle635
Jun. 29, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think it's a trio, with one horse leading and two abreast behind him, in a triangle-esque formation. Never seen it done, though - wouldn't that be entertaining to watch?

For that matter, I never see pairs anymore, either. I think that should be brought back. Anyone? ;)

Thanks, chinny. Makes sense.

I would love to see pairs classes! There's a horse at our barn who's a good match to my boy...they'd be adorable in a pairs class.

OneMoreTime
Jun. 29, 2009, 08:56 PM
I've ridden pairs in schooling shows -- it is a BLAST! some folks go tandem, others abreast; there's something thrilling (and a touch terrifying:eek:) about 2 chestnut TBs taking fences at the same time.:)

make x it x so
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:23 PM
http://childstoryhour.com/images/coloring/unicorn.jpg

That is my unicorn hunter. We will be making our big debut as soon as we clean up those knees overfences.

OneMoreTime
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:31 PM
LOL! My daughter (4 yrs old) just INSISTED that I print that for her to color.

mortebella
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:40 PM
Man, I just picked up a 1968 copy of M.A. Stoneridge's "A Horse of Your Own" somebody was giving away at the barn and am awash in nostalgia for among other things, pair classes. Yeah, bring that chestnut TB thunder! :lol::lol: When I have a little more typing energy I'll excerpt the fence heights for hunters from them days. :yes: Hint: first year greenies started at 3'6"

Albion
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hint: first year greenies started at 3'6"

2009 rule book:

"HU121 Height of Obstacles.
1. Green Sections: 3’6” required for first year horses; 3’9” required for second year horses."

:uhoh:

mortebella
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:29 PM
Oh, quelle faux pas! :D Not a stellar evening for me.

snaffle635
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
But, Mortabella, back in those days 1st year green really was the horse's 1st year of showing! So, your point is a good one!

eqrider1234
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:44 PM
Im confused, how exactly does a pairs class work?

mortebella
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:58 PM
Well, Snaffle, where my confusion has really come in, I think, is that so much discussion centers around the A/A and A/O horse that I really forget, not schlepping out to the bigger shows, what may be happening height wise in other divisions. But, as you say, it's known fact much has changed!

Thanks for seeing a point in my confusion! LOL!

snaffle635
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:59 PM
I haven't seen one in YEARS, but basically two horses/riders enter the ring together. I've seen it where one leads and the other follows a few strides behind. They jump a course and usually finish on the last fence together. The last jump is made extra-wide so the horses don't bump into each other.

OneMoreTime
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
You can go tandem (a few strides in front/behind) or abreast (side-by-side). It is a regular hunter course (ours are at least 12' wide fences), and abreast riders enter the ring together and do the whole course side-by-side, with the hopes that the horses will match stride for stride. It works best w/2 horses of a similar size for this reason, and the fact that when you change direction on course, each horse will have to be on the "outside", thus make a much wider turn, yet keep in stride with the partner. I'll try to find a video - I'm guessing you can find them on YouTube or Facebook. These classes are sometimes called "hunt team" classes, though that's a bit of a misnomer.

RumoursFollow
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:35 AM
That looks like driving (as in carriage) terminology to me... are you sure you werent looking at a general rules section? Like someone said before. a "unicorn" is a 3 horse hitch, 2 in back with one leader in front.

fourmares
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:32 AM
Pairs classes are a blast. I've done tandem and one year they set ALL the lines with double wide fences and we had to jump the whole course side by side... Almost no one ever thought to actually practice for this class before hand, so it was pretty entertaining.

Merle
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:38 AM
I saw this on Youtube and thought it was really cute. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkH4NhpJqA&feature=fvsr

And this one is a little less coordinated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2d3BRWmynw&feature=related

mortebella
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:44 AM
The ones I remember seeing as a kid were done on outdoor grass courses and done abreast. I can remember seeing some parent/kid pony/horse combos that were just fantastic! :D And the pairs that pinned (as best as I can remember with my sieve like brain :rolleyes:) were the ones that stayed abreast evenly and took fences in stride, so when you had "big/little" it took some nice riding to even out the strides. It was quite a thrill to watch these guys make it look effortless.

naters
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:52 AM

Fort Bragg NC has a schooling show series, and one of the most popular classes now is a pairs class - modeled after the old Aiken Horse Show (in Hitchcock Woods) pairs classes.

Its fun!!

JumpWithPanache
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:17 AM
I've driven Pairs, Unicorn, and Four-in-Hand... didn't get to try Tandem. A driven Unicorn formation is with a pair on the wheels and a single leader, like this [carriage] =pair= -single- . Tricky to drive but great for getting into and out of small spaces. I'd imagine it would be a blast to jump a course in the multiples formations. Can't wait to get home tonight and find something on youtube!