PDA

View Full Version : Silly Girth Cleaning Question

mbmarsh
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:45 PM
How do you get all the horse hair out of the side seams on your girth, short of tweezers?????

I have a couple of really nice leather girths that I would use way more often than I do, except both of them get tons of hair in those side seams, and I can't seem to wash it out - is there any secret to this?

Thanks!

chrissymack
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:53 PM
I just use a stiff brush lightly in those areas.

MustangSally00
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
I don't know how much hair you are talking about, but in my past experiences I usually just rubbed the seams with saddle soap as I cleaned the rest of the girth. I would suppose that you could get some more hair out with a soft toothbrush. The above suggestion of a stiff brush would work really well too as long as the girth is dry. Keep in mind that you probably won't ever get all of the hair out and after all, it is going back on the horse. :yes:

Good luck!

Ainsley688
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:08 PM
I figured out that if you brush off as much hair as you can BEFORE you get any water and/or saddle soap on it, the hair doesn't "stick" and glue itself in the seams. Then, once you've brushed off most of the hair, get a damp sponge and use lots of elbow grease! This works for my leather girth, and it's the only one I own, so it gets used quite a bit when I'm riding!

mbmarsh
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
I just got one of the new Thinline girths, which I love, but I've been afraid to really go after it - I'll try to see if I can get the hair out before I actually clean it and see if that helps......and I don't care that much about getting it spotless, since it is going back on the horse, I just don't want it to get crusty and cause rubs....

dwblover
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
I've always used a toothbrush that is medium stiffness. Then I follow it up by picking at the hairs with a toothpick, just don't press too hard, you don't want to pull the stitching out. But the toothpick really gets those stuck hairs out.