PDA

View Full Version : Farrier's Formula making horse nuts?

mbmarsh
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
Ok - I'm the last person to try and write off behavioral issues on external sources....but.

Two weeks ago, my horse sprung a shoe at a local show, only three days after it had been put on. Got shoe tacked back on, farrier noted that his feet were kinda crumbly, recommended Formalin.....

So, I get home, order some Keratex Hoof Hardener, then remember I had one of my other horses on Farrier's Formula, and it worked well. So two weeks ago, I start my horse on FF at the replenishment level.

In the last ten days, my horse has somehow gone nuts - impossible in the washrack - running me over on the way to the paddock, spooking so badly I can' even take him on a trailride.

Is there *any* chance that the FF could be making him hot? I checked the analysis, and it's 19% crude protein - he doesn't need to build weight, so he doesn't get a ton of protein now. Also, the base for FF is dehydrated alfalfa meal, so I'm wondering if that's contributing as well.

Long story short - I stopped the FF yesterday, but it will probably take a bit to work out of his system.

Anybody know if this is possible? Or do I need to start "educating" my horse about proper manners? :)

CBoylen
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:16 PM
We had the whole barn on it for years, and then got in a pony last winter that went totally nuts. I took him off of it, and then we started to notice that some of the other horses were fresher than normal. We started to take everyone off of it and noticed an improvement. Mentioned it to our supplier, and she looked into it and reported that they had recently changed the formula slightly. I still think some horses are okay on it and some aren't. I was always told anyway that hoof supplements can light up some horses with the high levels of zinc and copper. Take him off and see if you notice a difference.

Prima Donna
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:03 AM
I am actually having the same issue with my usually calm mare. I've had her on Smart Hoof for about a month to try and fight the summer dry hoof/cracking that usually comes. I did some googling and found a lot of people talking about hoof supplements making their horses hotter. I'm taking my mare off of it to see if it makes a difference.

naters
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
I started using the Accel formula, and I think its made my horse a bit nutso... I am taking him off of it this week to see....

AngelBites
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
I decided to try both of my kids on the omega horseshine. My mare LOST HER MIND. She went from a quiet puppy dog to a raging hormonal b*$ch!!! My gelding stayed sane. I think sometimes there is just something in a supp that makes them snap. She has never done it on anything else, even with something that had as much or more of a protein content. Once I took her off of it after a couple of days, she came back to normal land! Its definately a possibility. :yes:

mbmarsh
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:27 PM
Are any of the other hoof supplements different in composition? I need to look at Horseshoer's Secret and see if it has a similar formula. Someone also mentioned feeding straight Biotin as a supplement to do the same thing. Anybody had any success with either of those?

BeastieSlave
Jun. 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
Awww crap. That's all I need.... I'm currently researching hoof sups for kid #2's horse. Farrier's Formula was always my favorite when I fed it before.

Griffin
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:06 PM
This happened to my horse too.... nobody would believe that a hoof supplement could cause a normally placid horse to get spooky. I had him on 2 different kinds of biotin supplements on 2 different occassions with the same results each time. The last time he spooked and ran right over me and knocked me over. Within days of stopping the supplements he was normal again.

mbmarsh
Jun. 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well, let's keep fingers crossed - I took all of it home with me yesterday, since the wonderful guys at our barn found my stash when I took it off his stall door :) So he's starting to get it out of his system - have to see how long before he settles down - if he runs me over one more time on the way to the paddock, I swear.....

MintHillFarm
Jun. 30, 2009, 08:23 PM
I had my very quiet paint gelding on it for 18 months. There was no change in his very quiet nature, however I stopped it as I felt the feet had no change at all.

The funny thing is now that he is off the supplement his feet are starting to look really good...I can't figure that one out. It happened almost on the very day I stopped.

I have always had good luck with this product however, and would try it again on another one of mine.

TwoDreamRides
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:55 PM
I had a horse on Biotin II 22X. Worked wonders for his feet, but he was going mental. I didn't attribute the attitude/energy change until about a year later when I did some research on Biotin, as I was planning on starting myself on a Biotin supplement.

Basically, what I remember from my findings..
Biotin, whether served straight or in a supplement, is a B Protein. If there is an overabundance of it in the system, rather than promoting growth, it basically promotes energy.

You may just want to find something with smaller amounts of Biotin in it, until you find the right dosage for your horse.

Queen Latisha
Jul. 23, 2009, 04:27 PM
I started my horse on Farrier's Formula a few weeks ago.
I have noticed a drastic change in his energy level, my slow poke WB now has a forward button.:D

IrishWillow
Jul. 24, 2009, 11:38 AM
I have both my guys on SmartHoof and SmartCalm.. maybe they are balancing each other out!! LOL!!!!