PDA

View Full Version : Potential Horse abuse... what to do

besttwtbever
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
I worked at a barn a little over a year ago and they had a pony there that was AMAZING with kids. She had her moments as all ponies do but ultimately if she got ridden everyday she couldn't have been better.

I am no longer working at this barn and have my horses somewhere else. The pony came to where I am now as a potential resale pony. Now a little more than a year later the pony is TERRIFIED of children. If they try to get on her she cowers and shakes and then takes off. She is fine with the lighter adults that ride her, amazing in fact. She is even scared beyond belief when kids try to brush her or lead her. Last year she was GREAT with all this.

I feel like they had to have done something to her. In my experience Ponies/horses don't go ballistic like that unless something major has happened to them. Could this be abuse? If so should I report it? To who should I report it?

shawneeAcres
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:40 PM
Report what??!! I mean this cannot be documented as "abuse", perhaps she had a bad experience with a child, usually abused horses/pinies are MORE afraid of adults than children as it is the adults that abuse them. I suspect, more likely that a child possibly got scared on her and that scared her. I don't see that you have any grounds to report or even accuse abuse in this situation. People are FAR too often to jump to the conclusion that a horse that reacts adversely has been abused when it can be from a variety of issues, including health problems.

Daventry
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:42 PM
Report what? You say yourself that you were at the other barn and she was amazing with kids. Obviously, something has happened....but you have no idea what it is, so how can you report it? If the pony wasn't being abused when you were at the old barn, I find it hard to believe it suddenly started after you left. More than likely, some kind of incident or accident occurred involving a little kid and the pony hasn't forgotten it. Who knows, maybe her eyesight is failing her, etc., etc. If the pony is in good condition, fed and watered properly, feet trimmed, etc., what are you expecting the authorities to do?

sadlmakr
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:44 PM
I worked at a barn a little over a year ago and they had a pony there that was AMAZING with kids. She had her moments as all ponies do but ultimately if she got ridden everyday she couldn't have been better.

I am no longer working at this barn and have my horses somewhere else. The pony came to where I am now as a potential resale pony. Now a little more than a year later the pony is TERRIFIED of children. If they try to get on her she cowers and shakes and then takes off. She is fine with the lighter adults that ride her, amazing in fact. She is even scared beyond belief when kids try to brush her or lead her. Last year she was GREAT with all this.

I know they had to have done something to her. Ponies/horses don't go ballistic like that unless something major has happened to them. My question is should I report them? If so it will be anonymously. To who should I report it?

Dear Best,
You need to be very careful in getting into this.
It could backfire on you. Unless you see the abuse happening, and have other eyewitnesses to back you up, you could get yourself into a mess.
Use care in this.
Just my bad experiences in the past have taught me this.
Regards, Sadlmakr

EquitationRider
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:05 PM
i dont think u have anything to worry about...i would guess that a little kid was kicking or pulling on her mouth or something that irratated the pony. kids often do something such as oulling too hard on a horses mouth, kicking hard to get them going ect. i ould think the pony just got tiered of being beaten on by little kids!!
my advice is to get some good riders on the pony to straighten him out! and then wen the pony is back to being a good beginner pony or whatever put kids back on him but at least once a week switch it up and give him a good ride so he stays in tune

Hope this helps =]

Eventer13
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:17 PM
it doesn't sound like the pony is purposefully being bad, more like it is terrified. So putting older kids on to "straighten it out" isn't going to help. More like she needs to gradually be reintroduced to kids with lots of reassuring pats, maybe some treats, so she learns she is safe.

However, I would be wondering if some freak accident involving kids occurred. Not necessarily abuse (I mean, the kids would have had to beat the crap out of the pony, and that seems very unlikely to me). Have you asked the previous barn about what happened?

besttwtbever
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
Eventer13
Thanks for your suggestions we know the pony is not being bad and that she is scared. That is obvious. Older kids were never put on her to "straighten her out". They were put on her merely to find out what kind of horse they had. Didn't want to put a beginner on if she wasn't safe for more experienced riders. She is currently being worked with for the issue with lots of treats, praise and reassurance.

All who want to flame me:
This was not posted because I am going to report them. It was merely posted for suggestions... hence the title "Potential Horse abuse...".

Daventry
If her eyesight was going out wouldn't a lot more things scare her not just little kids? As of right now I don't expect anyone to do anything I was just asking opinions to see what people thought, if abuse could have been an issue.

shawneeAcres
Not jumping to conclusions about abuse. Just asking opinions to see if people thought it might be. No need to flame. I just feel for the poor little pony as she is a real sweetie.

I was just alarmed at the small amount of time it took for the pony to develop such a severe reaction. Hence I wondered if it might be abuse. Not really familiar with abuse too much as all the horses we've ever had have been happy and well cared for. :)

quicksilverponies
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:27 PM
your post said: "I know they had to have done something to her. Ponies/horses don't go ballistic like that unless something major has happened to them. My question is should I report them? If so it will be anonymously. To who should I report it?"

You weren't asking for ideas, you said you KNOW something was done TO her. And your question was "should I report them", not what could have caused this. I too think you are jumping to conclusions about abuse. A lot of things can happen to scare a pony when green kids are put on them, but it doesn't mean it was abuse.

findeight
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:41 PM
Last year she was GREAT with all this.

I know they had to have done something to her. Ponies/horses don't go ballistic like that unless something major has happened to them. My question is should I report them? If so it will be anonymously. To who should I report it?

No, you do not KNOW anything of the sort. You have no idea what has gone on. And that statement they don't go ballistic unless something changes-WRONG. Sometimes they are the thing that changes. She could have a medical condition, hormones kicking up...she could even have been on meds (or regumate) at the other facility and off them now-and NO they would not have shared that with you or anybody else.

On top of that, the life of a sale horse or Pony is full of sporadic sessions with all sorts of riders. Does them no good and it can get to them. you even admit this one was good if and when she was ridden daily...you have no idea what her schedual has been. Couple of weeks with a novice rider who was scared of her and then some bigger kid, or adult, "intervention" could easily cause this-and that's not abuse.

Also, if you ever have proof of this, DO NOT report it anonymously. Stand up for what you believe in and go to bat for the poor horse IF you know what happened and can prove it.

But here, you have no proof of any abuse at all. You would need all specifics of the abuse and need to name names, including your own, to any authority who would even accept the report.

Queen Latisha
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:11 PM
You don't have any proof that the pony was abused.
I do admire you for being concerned about this pony, it may have been abused, who knows? Just tread lightly with accusations that can't be proven.:cool:

besttwtbever
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:22 PM
I do admire you for being concerned about this pony, it may have been abused, who knows?

Thank You! :)