PDA

View Full Version : Charles owen GR8 helmet dye: They replaced the helmet! :D

sansibar
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:30 PM
So I bought a charles owen less then a year ago and I jst purchased a nice white essex show shirt. The helmet has only been used for showing.

Well yesterday it was pouring rain for most of the day, and I was riding in it, and of course i had forgotten my rain coat. But any ways I was riding/going around without my jacket for a while and when I took my helmet off with my bare hands i had noticed that they were all black so i went and cleaned them and then proceeded to take off my show shirt only to realised that it was covered in black dye!

My mom is taking it to the dry cleaners to see if there is any hope for it, but right now I am furious with charles owen, and I am screwed because I have no white show shirt and I am showing again next weekend and I guess I have to go blow another $150 on a show shirt which I really had not planned to be needing another one.

Any one else encounter this problem?

dghunter
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:33 PM
I've had mine for awhile now and have shown in torrential downpours with it and it has never bled over anything.

SkipChange
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:34 PM
I have ridden in my GR8 in the pouring rain plenty of times and have never had the slightest bit of an issue. That's very odd.

Sunnyhorse
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah, and not just with the GR8 -- I switched back to the Hampton because I got tired of the goofy "5 o'clock shadow" look I was getting from the dye in the GR8's harness, but I just discovered that if I'm really sweating, the black padding under the shell of the Hampton will leach dye out onto the collar of my shirt. (In every case I've been able to get the black out, so I hope your cleaners will be equally successful.) I do sweat a lot, and I adore my CO helmets, but the problem is starting to piss me off mightily. :mad:

Delaneythehorsegirl
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:40 PM
I rode in torrential rain with my Charles Owen GR8 and I didn't have a problem. I didn't notice any dye coming off of the helmet and it dried out with a day.

skysthelimit4
Jun. 29, 2009, 03:24 PM
sansibar-

i have ridden in torrential downpours, and even taken a head first mudbath with my GR8. only once has it leaked dye, and then it was not very much, just a little bit on my collar. you should return the helmet, stating the situation, and see if they can/will fix it, or get u a new helmet. its all worth a shot:):)

Jo
Jun. 29, 2009, 04:03 PM
Dye your shirt black and start a new trend! ;)

heygirlhey33
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:08 PM
So the exact same happened to me. I got dye on my face too. Great for homecoming and all. But my mom talked to the peps at farmhouse to see how we could prevent it from happening again. But they then offered to return the helmet and replace the show shirt. Great customer service at charles owen! just give them a call

TheOrangeOne
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:03 PM
What kind of footing do you generally ride in?

I've had similar problems but attributed it to fine dust from the black footing that was all trapped up in the fabric covering. It came off my face/hands/clothes with just soap and water though.

Hunter Princess
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
I've never had that issue and I've ridden in downpours as well. I've also never had an issue with black dye from my hampton or GR8.

I would contact the store that you bought the GR8 from and talk to them.

sansibar
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:11 PM
ya I am going to the tack store tomorrow to see what they can do. I have been trying to e-mail charles owen but each e-mail has been bounced back. Also the only cleaner on the helmet was the CO cool foaming stuff.

I hope I can get this issue solved. :(

They cleaners have the shirt right now, so I hope it comes out clean. My mom took photos of it so i'm trying to get them on the computer, but her camera skills are not great lol.

luise
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
I have the J3 jockey skull and have the same problem. The chinstrap is black leather, and when I sweat I get black dye all over my face. I only clean it with the CO helmet cleaner. I've emailed them but never heard back. Maybe I should email Bit of Britain where I got it from. I've had the helmet over a year.

sansibar
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:39 PM
Here are photos of the damage

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img792.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img793.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img794.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img795.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img798.jpg

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r461/sansibarsby/img799.jpg

snaffle635
Jun. 29, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yikes! That is terrible!

My GR8 runs onto the back of my collar nearly every horse show (yep, I sweat a lot). I wash all my show shirts in the washing machine and it usually comes out. After one particularly bad stain, I soaked the ends of the collar in oxi-clean. It was sparkly clean.

GreystoneKC
Jun. 29, 2009, 08:19 PM
Never had a problem with mine or any of the ones in my barn (4 I think at last count?). Very strange. Good luck! Buy a cheap white shirt until you get the problem fixed!

sansibar
Jun. 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
It is still bleeding, I was just wiping it with a towel and the towel is grey now, it is over 24 h since it was in the rain, and has been out in the air drying.

:(

bear necessities
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:26 AM
I would call Charles Owens directly and explain the situation and I'm sure they would replace the helmet and maybe even your shirt. Going directly to the tack shop you bought it at is a good idea and they could replace it on the spot. I have a CO as well and have never had that problem, thank god! Your poor shirt looks awful =( Good luck!

sansibar
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:56 PM
update: the shirt is ruined the cleaners could not get the colouring out :( , so we are bringing it to the tack store tomorrow and hopefully we can figure out a solution since I am showing this weekend. eek.

snaffle635
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:13 PM
I was using mine just for shows, but I recently decided to use it for schooling too (it's so much more comfortable than my IRH). Anyhoo, rode yesterday and the dye bled all over the collar of my white polo shirt. Boo!

I was at my local tack shop with my girlfriend and she suggested I ask the manager about it. They immediately replaced my helmet! Thank you, Saddlers Row! You rock!!!!!

EmJae
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
Wow. I've never had or heard of this problem... but it could be that I don't pay enough attention. Sorry to hear about your helmet!

libby2
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:46 PM
I had the same problem but the dye always came out of the clothes. Saddlers Row/CO would not replace my helmet, but blamed it on my "system" and claimed they had not had any other problems with the dye bleeding. They said they could return the helmet to England and replace it with a brown leather harness but that would take weeks. I would run the harness under warm water and the sink would be black. I stupidly bought the new vented CO, but I cannot tell any difference as far as the venting and air flow. It is starting to bleed also.

superpony123
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:25 AM
eek! those pics look pretty terrible :( that sucks.

I've never had a problem with my hampton. and i've ridden in downpours, and i also sweat a ton. i'm thinking you've just gotten a defective helmet (and when there's one defective helmet, there's usually a couple hundred more--after all, it's usually the entire "batch" it was manufactured with within a certain amount of time that's affected, i think) I've seen a lot of threads of this sort (though more often with GPA's, coincidentally) and so it does seem to happen. Some tack shops may be willing to replace the shirt and the helmet. Some may not.

BTW, a new show shirt does not cost $150 :D even a beacon hill or essex wont cost that much. and most of my shirts are essex. i would never spend 150 on just ONE shirt! and if you are looking for something that's not easy to find, just go find a cheap white shirt on consignment for your show next weekend and then look around for a nice replacement. at least you'll have a backup shirt from now on. it's always good to have a back up shirt!

sansibar
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:05 AM
We ended up bringing the helmet back, charles owen replaced the helmet, and bahrs saddlery paid $130 for the shirt, so I have a store credit there because they did not have a shirt that fit me and they did not carry beacon hill/essex. So we went to the other store and bought one.

No complaints any more :)

yes with the exchange the essex are about $130-$170 here. And beacon hill start at $110-$130. Depending on what store you buy them at.

cathysacher
Sep. 24, 2009, 11:23 PM
HI Sanibar,

Please contact Essex directly and they'll replace your white shirt for you if it has not already been done by the store where you purchased it. Ask for Cathy.

sooner
Sep. 25, 2009, 08:58 PM
cathysacher... you're the hero!
Essex is primo in customer service!!! What a nice offer!