PDA

View Full Version : How big of a fault for the hunters is slight winging and paddeling up front?

DevilsAdvocateDC
Jun. 29, 2009, 12:23 PM
Just how big of a fault for the hunters is slight winging and paddeling up front? This horse generally travels straight but when he gets a little disconnected or excited (which happens a lot because he's a green baby horse) he tends to show a bit of winging and paddling up front. I think his shoeing is fine. He doesn't seem to have any physical problems caused by the way he goes. He's sound. Assuming this intermittent winging doesn't go away, how bad of a fault is it? Ding him entirely as a hunter prospect?

Come Shine
Jun. 29, 2009, 01:23 PM
It depends how bad it is and what company you show him in.

JOBEAN
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:54 PM
Does he paddle without shoes when hes excited etc?

fordtraktor
Jun. 29, 2009, 03:06 PM
All other things being equal, paddling is worse than not paddling -- but there are very nice hunters out there that paddle and can pin in very good company. It is not a deal-breaker, but it is a tie-breaker.

Peggy
Jun. 29, 2009, 03:19 PM
The horse might even grow (or balance?) out of it. Star had some paddling/winging action going when he was younger, but it eventually vanished. I was showing dressage at the time and no dressage judge ever commented on it (and they would have had a stellar view as we came up centerline), for whatever that's worth.

Chef Jade
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, it is a pretty big fault. However, I rarely see judges leave the "luxury" of their judging booth these days to get out in the ring and see the horses travel from straight on. If it isn't severe, chances are a judge won't even see it if they are judging the class solely from a side view.

Cinnybren
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've witnessed paddling horses win the hack exactly due to Chef Jade's comment. Many judges do not leave the judging box to see the horses movement from straight on. ;) From the side though, these horses moved beautifully!

Go Fish
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:47 PM
Is he pigeon-toed?

I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference unless he's slated to be a confo horse.

lauriep
Jun. 29, 2009, 06:56 PM
What Chef Jade said. If they aren't where they can see it, it won't matter a whit.

Queen Latisha
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:00 PM
It's a fault depending on how badly the horse paddles. I have found some judges penalize a paddle more then others.
I have a hunter with a slight paddle, it didn't seem to effect his placings o/f, but in the hack I think it did.
All in all, if it's a nice horse I don't think it would be penalized too much.
My hunter kicked some major booty in the show ring.:D