PDA

View Full Version : Barn Managers & Owners - What (if any) Software Do You Use At Your Facility?

katie16
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:05 AM
Wondering what software people in the industry are using to run their business? Do you have seperate programs for different tasks?

In other words, do you use something like Quick Books to run your billing, and something different (and maybe equine specific) to keep track of each horses worming, vet stuff, etc.?

How satisfied are you with what you are using? What do you and don't you like about it?

blaeberry001
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:27 AM
I tried using a few programs, could not find one for my needs, they did a little of what I wanted but not one program did it all. So I used what I have on my computer Excel. It is great for invoices and the spread sheets can hold up to 12 months or more on each horse for records. The nice thing is you can customize it yourself at no cost.

katie16
Jun. 29, 2009, 09:58 AM
I am currently a pretty big Excel user myself for a variety of things. However, we are currently doing our invoices in Word (on farm letterhead). I am not necessarily unhappy with the way we are doing it, but thought their might be something easier still. Wondering if there is simply a more comprehensive and inclusive way to do things? Didn't know if maybe Quick Books was a better answer? Or maybe there is something out there specifically targeted at the h/j injustry? I have a good friend who has some special breeding farm program that works well for her, but really isn't sufficient for h/j needs.

missamandarose
Jul. 6, 2009, 06:52 PM
I was just thinking today about maybe suggesting software to my trainer when I saw this thread... hopefully others will chime in, though I am a big fanof excel!

One this about QB, you can EMAIL invoices to clients; thats what I do at my non-horsey job! And you can format the invoice to be letterhead. I love not having to print so many invoices every week. And I'm guessing you can use the confirmation feature on email to make sure everyone gets the invoices so you can follow up on any that are unpaid.

In the Air
Jul. 6, 2009, 09:54 PM
There is a free version of Quick Books that you can download. I do all my billing and invoices on it. Works great!!

Midge
Jul. 7, 2009, 06:59 AM
http://clwenterprises.com/default.aspx

Sugarbrook
Jul. 7, 2009, 08:32 AM
I use Horsetrak Business version 6.955. It does schedules, billing, pedigree, lots of stuff (in fact anything I could think of that you need). Find them at: www.Horsetrak.com sandy

Rendaivu
Jul. 21, 2009, 06:29 PM
Try www.rendaivu.com its free to use online. The following is from the website.

Rendaivu is a free online application that allows equine enthusiasts and professionals to manage horse records, financials, organization activities, scheduling, and much more.

Take Care of Your Horse
Forget paper, pen, and the "I think..." kind of records. Keep a detailed history of your horse's activities and create reports for a visual representation of what's going on.

Sample Records and Features

Reproduction (Mare and Stallion)
Performance, Training, Showing
Health Records (Vaccinations, Worming, etc.)
Automatic Email Reminders

... and Yourself
Enjoy a personal calendar that integrates with your horses activities and due dates. Your calendar also shows events within the stables you belong to.
Get the bigger picture with financial record keeping. Record income and expenses in a variety of categories, and create reports to learn more about your financial situation.

Manage Your Stable, Team, or Association
Who needs a whiteboard anymore?
Put your organization online and experience the benefits of online messaging, scheduling, and much more. Simplifying the management of your enterprise has never been so easy.

Sample Scheduling Tools:

Lessons
Farrier
Veterinarian
Meetings

Communication Tools:
Private Forum
Private Messaging Between Members
Medical Alert Messaging

Additional Management Tools:
Feed Inventory, Purchases, and Deductions
Invoicing
Financial Record Keeping and Reporting
Manage Staff

SOTB
Jul. 22, 2009, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=katie16;4196023]
In other words, do you use something like Quick Books to run your billing, and something different (and maybe equine specific) to keep track of each horses worming, vet stuff, etc.?
QUOTE]

This won't help you with billing, but these binders will track vaccinations, worming, all other medical issues, training and showing... http://www.stayonthebit.com

AppendixQHLover
Jul. 22, 2009, 10:57 AM
My barn manager/owner is going to be setting up her business offically soon. SO I will be getting her set up with Quickbooks. Quickbooks is great if you set it up correctly.

I will have her get that other software to for shows and vaccinations.

Hauwse
Jul. 22, 2009, 12:17 PM
I went to school for software development, though I rarely do those gigs anymore.

The basic Microsoft suite of tools, Word/excel/access (word processor/spread sheet/database) are simple to use tools that require no more than basic computer knowledge, and all financial/schedule etc. applications use these basic elements to create applications.

Using these 3 applications one can develop a comprehensive program that covers all the bases and is specific to your business.

Microsoft also has a zillion templates that will pretty much cover all the starting points for building your own application, and they are free.

One big bonus is that with the access database you can create records for years and tie them all together with invoices, horse information, schedules, etc. Word invoices can be sent out on company letter head and can include specific information like the upcoming show schedules, vaccinations, ferrier etc. or any information you feel the customer needs to know, in general or specific to that particular customer.

Our application has a record for every single horse, and almost every single aspect of its life. I can look back 5 years ago and see what vet did what to what horse at what time, what it cost, the vets information etc.

You can make as complicated or as simple as you want, with virtually no restrictions, and you can send the information out in any format you want, hardcopy, email, SMS, text, I suppose now with the new voice to text apps available you could even send invoices out over the phone.

It is all very simple to use as well.

Hmmm.... makes me think maybe I should start selling our app. :)