PDA

View Full Version : Derby Classes for Ponies

Stono Ferry
Jun. 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
I made the comment at the NCHJA show this weekend that I would love to see a Derby class for ponies. Imagine my surprise when I looked at a prize list for the Old Dominion show mid July and saw that they are having one! I so wish that show fit into our show schedule this year. Has this been done anywhere before does anyone know? Who else likes the idea? If you don't, why not?

Smiles
Jun. 28, 2009, 09:34 AM
Although I'm sure it would be fun for the kids to jump a suito derby course I'm just not convinced that anyone wants to watch the kids (ie besides their parents) jumping around a course of 14 to 18 jumps. Plus then you would have to change the course three times to accommodate the different heights too. Have the kids do a medal or the countless other pony classes that are available.

superpony123
Jun. 28, 2009, 03:16 PM
Although I'm sure it would be fun for the kids to jump a suito derby course I'm just not convinced that anyone wants to watch the kids (ie besides their parents) jumping around a course of 14 to 18 jumps. Plus then you would have to change the course three times to accommodate the different heights too. Have the kids do a medal or the countless other pony classes that are available.

if lots of people watch PJ classes, why not watch a tough pony derby class? :)

Stono Ferry
Jun. 28, 2009, 03:20 PM

There are countless other hunter classes available for the horses too :)

playinforkeeps8
Jun. 28, 2009, 06:36 PM
I just made a comment on a thread about Hunter Derbies about how I thought there should be a hunter derby for ponies. :) I think it would be really cool and I think it would bring in some of the younger kids who are interested in riding.

spmoonie
Jun. 28, 2009, 07:30 PM
I would love to see pony derby classes! I always wanted to do one with my guy, but being a pony, he just cant compete with the horse sized jumps. I would enter it!

preciouspony
Jun. 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
It would be good for the older kids who are stuck on ponies, too! :D

vbunny
Jun. 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
pseudo?

Lori
Jun. 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
What would be even better is having the pony derby open to aduolts on ponies, too!

chunky munky
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the recognition, Stono! Yes Old Dominion is running a $3500 Pony Derby on Sunday July 19.( Followed by costume Pony and Childrens Hunt Teams) Though the Derby is open only to juniors we do offer a division where adults may show ponies. Some of you may also want to check out the website below which is a program where adults may also show ponies. I actually can tell you that we have a lot of interest in the Derby and expect plenty of folks to be watching. As far as setting the jumps, thats what we pay the jump crew for...With mostly unrelated distances and rustic type jumps few distances will have to be changed, just heights. That is pretty quick. For those nearby I invite you to come out and join us for a great day of Derby classes, good food, and a beautiful country setting that Sunday. It will be a lot of fun for all.:) And our show is a benefit for Danny and Ron's Rescue Dogs www.DannyandRonsRescue.com

Ponymom4
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:03 AM
I would LOVE a hunter derby class for ponies! We have this fabulous large pony that can jump the moon and still looks great doing it, not running around like a maniac. If there had been a pony hunter derby at the NCHJA we would have definitely taken her. Unfortunately we will not make Old Dominion but maybe some of the other shows may consider one in the future. I know my daughter would love it.

neigh.neigh
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
At HITS Saugerties they are having a Pony Commotion Hunter Classic on July 30th right before the USHJA Hunter Derby. It is advertised as being a warm up for Pony Finals and will be in the huge Grand Prix ring. So I am guessing it will be similar to a hunter derby.

There is more information at hitsshows.com in the prizelist

Stono Ferry
Jul. 18, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hey chunky, please give us a recap tomorrow after the pony Derby.

woodhillsmanhattan
Jul. 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
For some reason this thread got me thinking that someone should take their pony jumper in the regular derby hahaha. That would be something to see!

shawneeAcres
Jul. 18, 2009, 08:07 PM
we did a "low level derby" at three smaller heights at our spring show. Turnout was poor unfortunately cause we had a pretty neat course! Everyone LOVED the idea but not many came. The ones that did it though absolutely had a blast, we also did handy hunter and made a "Derby division" out of that and a hack class. We have our ring set up so we can drop rails and jump in and out of the ring into an adjacent field. Granted not rated or anything but I had a great time doing the course!