PDA

View Full Version : It's HOT outside!

ef80
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:52 PM
The heat is finally on in Northern CA and it is absolute agony. I'm finding that even my lightest-weight breeches are still quite warm and I need to add a few pairs of schooling tights to my collection of barn-wear without breaking the bank. Thankfully, we are a VERY casual barn, so I don't have to worry about offending anyone by not wearing "proper" breeches every day or goofy colors.

Way back in the day, I had some very light weight schooling tights - they were a basic black fabric with a lycra/spandex stripe down the side. They were excellent because you could run a wet sponge down the side of the lycra/spandex and it would help a bit with the heat (especially when the breeze came through - air-conditioned pants!). I did spot a few similar pairs on Dover's site that were reasonably priced, but I wanted to get some other opinions and suggestions before I snagged a couple. :)

Links to reccomended tights are appreciated!

Wizard of Oz's
Jun. 27, 2009, 10:47 PM
I totally understand the heat as I am in Texas and it's rediculously hot. I'm the first one out at my barn to ride at 6 to beat the heat, but you can never beat the heat here! We actually have a rule that nobody is allowed to ride between the hours of 12pm and 5pm(on really hot days) because of the extreme heat. Also, most everyone at my barn wears black polos with our barn logo on them all the time, but those are being ditched for white ones (and tank tops while free riding)! I like the Irideon and Kerrits tights because they are very lightweight fabric and nice to use in the heat.

Something I've been doing for many summers is to use a schooling helmet and wet your hair in the washrack before you ride, and then tuck it up in your helmet. The water drips your neck and is really refreshing throughout your ride. That really helped with the heat for me, but don't use a helmet that can't be easily washed!

Brown Horse
Jun. 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Irideon. Trust me...they're GREAT. They're even less sticky when you're sweaty and need to use the bathroom ;) They are pricier, though...but worth it in my opinion. I only have one pair but I wear them a lot more than any of my others.

Kato
Jun. 28, 2009, 01:57 AM
EF80, I am sharing your pain!! I live in tights most of the summer here. I agree, Irideons are great, I also like the Kerrits.

upnover192
Jun. 28, 2009, 04:57 PM
UUUUGHH, I'm hating this weather right now as well! heat index of 110 is wayyyy to hot in my book. My absolute favorites are Aerocools by TuffRider. They allow lots of air flow and dry very quickly (much like coolmax apparel). In fact, I can't wear them in the late fall/winter because you can feel the cold wind go straight through them! They're normally $80ish but you can find them new on ebay for about $50. I have 5 pairs, a few I've had for about 3 years with no holes and just a little wear in the knee patches. I ride 3-5 horses a day, 5-7 days a week so my breeches take a beating!

indygirl2560
Jun. 28, 2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah I'm up there too and today was the wrong day to go for a trail ride! Luckily, I was by a lake and took my pony swimming! My car said it was 110! As for cool tights, the stretchy Tuff Rider ones seem pretty cool.

Arado*TB
Jun. 28, 2009, 08:57 PM
We were at a horse sow yesterday and they actually told the judge not to work the horses to hard. The heat and humidity were horrible by mid afternoon.