PDA

View Full Version : Spurs for a lazy pony?

theroanypony
Jun. 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
Does anyone have any spur suggestions to try on a very lazy pony? Also, anyone know where to find children sized spur straps similar to these (http://www.doversaddlery.com/tooled-southwest-spur-straps/p/X1-2596/cn/2663/)? Thanks for any info! :)

hunter1985
Jun. 27, 2009, 05:59 PM
You may want to use a rounded spur, or a rubber ended spur that way you dont rub sores onto the horses sides! I've learned from experience.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-25117&ids=783236279
I love the rubber spurs, my personal favorite. I belive they come in length sizes, I got the longer length for the extra lazy warmblood I used to ride with sensitive skin.

Pleased_As_Punch
Jun. 27, 2009, 06:49 PM
theroanypony,
What spur, if any, are you using currently?

dghunter
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:15 PM
You may want to use a rounded spur, or a rubber ended spur that way you dont rub sores onto the horses sides! I've learned from experience.

I love the rubber spurs, my personal favorite. I belive they come in length sizes, I got the longer length for the extra lazy warmblood I used to ride with sensitive skin.

I use the same spurs for the same type of horse. Found he really likes those and goes well in them :yes:

PonyHunter70
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:21 PM

I use those too. My pony used to get rub marks from my tom thumbs because my leg would get tired from squeezing and start to swing. The rollers work great, and my pony doesn't get rubs anymore. And it gives me a tighter leg. :D Always a plus.

superpony123
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:21 PM
PLEASE (if this is a smaller child riding the pony) use ROUNDED/rolling ball spurs. i have seen way too many inexperienced kids throw on a pair of spurs because they can't keep their leg still enough to give a clear signal to the horse, so the horse MUST be lazy. what do you know, they end up tearing up the horses side, too.

not that i am saying this is your child, but even the best little riders can have a tendency to misuse spurs. get rounded ones to be safe.

the ones i have are nice. they are all metal and have a metall spinning ball attached--they look scary if you don't realize they're super dull because, well, it's a big fat ball. it's almost equivalent to little tiny nubby spurs. but they get the job done without causing any rubbing at all (really, i think you would hav eto go way out of your way to give spur rubs with these things)

i do not recommend the plastic-end rolling spurs, though. the edges can be sharp, plus they do leave marks. they also break easily

theroanypony
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:26 PM
theroanypony,
What spur, if any, are you using currently?

I'm using pows right now. I had been using tom thumbs, but eventually the pony got dull to them, now the same thing is happening with the pow. I don't wear spurs every ride, and switch between the two sets that I have to keep him from dealing with the same thing everyday. He was a school pony his whole life, before me, so my trainer has told me that he's very dead to your leg. I know how to properly use my spurs, and only use them when necessary, but I feel like I'm working so much to the point where the spurs aren't making my aids any easier or less noticeable.

When I first used the POW on him, he nearly jumped out of the ring. I gradually added them into to our flatwork, but have progressed to using them while jumping and showing, but as I said, the effect seems to be wearing off. My friend's mom warned me that I'm just going to end up having to keep getting new spurs constantly because he's just going to keep getting more and more dull to each one like her horse. I don't believe this. He's gotten dull to tom thumbs and POWs, not 2" stabby spurs. I do have strong and long legs, but there's a difference in his performance between when I ride with spurs and without them. I just want something that's going to emphasize my leg and say "FORWARD"! Maybe the next level above a pair of POW, whatever that may be?

ETA, My pony doesn't get rubs, and I am very much capable of not applying them when they aren't needed. :)

A168HJ
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
Spurs will get the pony moving faster most definitely.

But it's important to ask yourself why is my pony lazy?

Horses/ponies get lazy if they are bored, in pain, don't have enough energy in their diet or are dead to your leg.

If he was in pain then he'd be expressing other vices such as crow hopping, being balky etc. So I don't think it's pain.

It could be a combination of the remaining three things however. You should look into adjusting his diet so he has more energy in it. Also try and make the lesson interesting for him (provided it isn't currently). You can do this by putting him on the bit, doing lots of transitions (these help him get sensitive to your leg too!), and serpentines, circles, transitions on circles etc.

If he is dead to your leg then you will need the following things:
-A spur (any kind)
-A bat, crop or whip...whatever your choice.

Unmounted go into the arena and halt him. Gently poke him with the spur where your leg would be. Poke him harder and harder until he moves. Use the bat/crop/whip is necessary. Once he moves praise him! Do this until he is responding to a slight touch of the spur. Do this on each side of him.
Also do this before each lesson as a "warm up to your leg".
And when you ride, ride with light leg aids. You can carry a whip and is he doesn't respond flick your wrist which will make the whip touch him. When he moves forward at any time praise him (unless he's bolting of course! LOL). As soon as he becomes responsive to your leg then stop carrying the whip. Don't get "whip happy" either. You don't want him to become afraid of the whip.

Best of luck!

theroanypony
Jun. 27, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've already explained why my pony is dead to the leg. He's perfectly happy, healthy and interested. I change our routine daily, we work outside the ring, do dressage, jumpers, equitation, hunters and anything else we can think of at home. He's just a lazy old school pony. That's who he is, and I know him well. I'm just looking for something a little stronger than a POW spur to try on him to see if that would help emphasize my leg and make my aids a little less noticeable. Thanks. :) I'm also not looking for something to make him move faster, as I've said, our goal is forward.

Movin Artfully
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
There's nothing wrong with a 2" spur as long as you use it correctly.

I am not sure that you need "more spur". You may need "more respect to leg". On some schooling horses in the past, I found leg followed immediately by crop/whip to reinforce the "forward" necessary. It usually didn't take long for this to be effective. The horse should be moving off of your seat and leg and your spur should be your reinforcement. Since your horse is ignoring your reinforcement you need to either make your use of it more effective or use another driving force as a reminder for what it means. The crop is an easy "go forward", "move with my leg" reminder.

One of the Janet Brown-Foy/Steffan Peters series on you tube talks about adding spur and holding it until there is forward. Steffan actually rode to demonstrate and it seemed to be very effective on a very dead/sour-sided horse. If you are against the crop, you might try that.

Good luck!

TheHunterKid90
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Very often you don't need anything more then a little POW spur on any horse...sounds to me like Pony isn't respecting your leg....I'd do a little digging into that before I bought bigger spurs. :)

Movin Artfully
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
Having just read your last post...

If you just want a spur recommendation for a less noticeable aid- add length.

Or teach him to move off of your seat :yes:

theroanypony
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:53 PM
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for the advice, or rude. I know my pony really well though, he likes to lag. He's lazy, he loves to work, but he likes doing it at his own speed. A lot of times I'm less quiet than I should be to get him moving out, I just wanted some suggestions for spurs that might help get him moving out more with a little less pushing involved. I will take all of the advice into consideration though. After getting lost in the sea of spurs available, I just thought maybe one of them was specifically designed for horses that are a little lazy when it comes to moving off your leg, but I have no idea what any spurs are are for what, so I just wanted to ask if you guys had any favorites for lazy horses. Thanks again, and I really, really am glad for the advice!

Stono Ferry
Jun. 28, 2009, 09:10 AM
I've seen your pony go. My suggestion, FWIW is to add more protein to his diet. He needs more energy period.

theroanypony
Jun. 28, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've seen your pony go. My suggestion, FWIW is to add more protein to his diet. He needs more energy period.

Thanks! His diet was recently changed about two weeks ago, since then each day I notice more and more change in his attitude. After my last ride on him, I definitely don't think it was my spurs, but maybe had a lot to do with him not listening to me leg. Thanks again everyone! :)

*Teddy*
Jun. 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
do you ride with a crop/whip? I know exactly the type of pony you ride and have ridden many schoolies like him. I rode them all without spurs too! Its a respecting of the leg issue as you stated he becomes dull with spurs even which means your working too hard!

When you ride(with a crop) as soon as you feel the lag ask with a squeeze then kick once there is no response then smack to back it up if there is no response to the kick. Eventually they do get it, sometimes it takes awhile but you have to be consistant with the leg aids and backing it up with the crop.

Remember the spur should be used to refine a already effective leg ( from the words of the great GM)

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Jun. 28, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Libby, do you ever ride with a crop? Perhaps even a dressage whip? It sounds a little harsh, but I have a big, LAZY horse that's been through about every spur on the planet, and this works for him.

I generally use the whip only when he's being *excessively* dead to the leg. If I apply leg and get a sluggish or non-existent response, I resort to a quick tap. I find the dressage whip works best because I can apply it swiftly behind the leg. Just a little tap is enough for him- no hard smacks or anything. It wakes him up, and has really helped to get him a little more sensitive to my leg. I'm now riding approx. once a week with the whip, and he's perfectly fine in between these little tune ups.

I also happen to be a tad big on him, so my leg hits his sides at a funny angle where a downward curved spur, like a POW, is less-effective (ie, I have to move my heel upwards to *really* use it). I recently bought some "soft-touch" spurs from Dover with the little rolly balls on the end. I really like these, as they are pretty substantial without being scary looking, and because they're straight instead of curved, I find it's easier to use these on my lazy guy.

ETA- My horse is sooooo lazy on the flat, but gets pretty up over fences. Not out of control, but I actually took my spurs off for a course or two last weekend because he was pulling me out of the turns and on longer approaches. This, in combination with other things (like his wonderful coat, condition, fitness level, etc), makes me think it's more of a boredom issue than a feed issue for my guy.

Talk of the Town
Jun. 29, 2009, 05:56 AM
I second the dressage whip! One of my good friends had a very lazy pony but did not want her to become dull to the spurs, so for any riding outside of showing she would use a dressage whip. It gained more respect from the pony and allowed the spurs to be saved for the horse shows. This made the pony more responsive at the shows and she didn't have to work nearly as hard ( i understand that extra work as I rode an appy pony for many years and know its not enjoyable to break a sweat trying to get your pony to move off your leg). Hope this helps :)

JLC7898
Jun. 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have a horse who was once VERY dead to the aids. I started with a dressage trainer, he is now a VERY responsive horse. I use a dressage whip everyday i ride. I give him a tap when he doesn't listen to my aids immediately. He is now very responsive to my leg. I use the whip only a few times in our rides, when 6 months ago it was often.Now i just can't believe i rode with a bat and BIG spurs.