PDA

View Full Version : Venice, Florida: Hunter scene

forwhomthebelltrolls
Jun. 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
Can anyone give me the 411 on the hunter scene down in Venice or atleast 30-45 minutes nearby?

Are there hunter barn? Hunter shows? Any recommendations of places to look into? Responses appreciated. PS I may be looking for a lease on a good guy at some point down that way. :)

Jaegermonster
Jun. 27, 2009, 02:46 PM
www.penningtonfarms.com

zedcadjna
Jun. 29, 2009, 12:42 AM
I grew up in Venice, look up fox lea farms Linda Aldrich or her dtr Kim Farrell can give you barns locally... I rode with Ann Pennington for many yrs, def not a 40 min drive from Venice. Try www.equestrianendeavors.com Stacy is the trainer I believe she is in Myakka area, grew up with all of them. Staceys facility is beautiful!!! Fox lea doesn't board, but puts on FABULOUS shows!!!! Tell Linda or Kim that Stacy Williams told you to call. Also Kims husband Clay is a great trainer....

Gwendolyn
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
FairwinFarm.com

Shanon is an amazing trainer, I worked for her for 6 months, and have known her for years. She does WEF and Kentucky, and the big eq finals. She shows at least twice a month. Great horses, great program. She is in Sarasota, just a little north of venice.

FoxLeaFarm.com

The have a few shows a month. Great facility, great footing.

Giddy-up
Jun. 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
ahhh....Venice. :D I have been going there since I was a little kid. I will someday move there. I like the area in general, know nothing horse wise. I am jealous. ;)

Sparky Boy
Jun. 29, 2009, 12:44 PM
This is timely. We're going down to look at homes in Naples, Ft. Myers and Punta Gorda areas the first week in Aug. I was wondering what the horse scene was like.

equest
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:15 PM
If you end up in Fort Myers, Sparky, Ann Pennington is great!

heartinrye
Jun. 29, 2009, 02:56 PM
If you end up in Fort Myers, Sparky, Ann Pennington is great!

Definitely agree!

I grew up in Naples and there is no horse scene there. If you want a barn that does all the big shows and travels out of FL (Ann does WEF and other shows in FL) you'll have to look to the east coast or near Orlando/Tampa.

zedcadjna
Jun. 30, 2009, 12:09 AM
Punta Gorda nothing, Naples not that bad of a drive to anns.. When I lived in Venice anns was about an hour and 15mins away,and I lived on the island of venice. She is straight shot off of 75... She is wonderful and so much fun!!!! I miss her a lot as she helped me so much when I went pro...

HunterJumperz
Jun. 30, 2009, 11:28 AM
Feel free to visit this page for links to additional barns around that area:
http://www.FLSportHorse.com/fl_links.html

Sparky Boy
Jun. 30, 2009, 05:17 PM
The only barn I found that listed boarding cost was $700 per month (included a weekly lesson). Is that the going rate down there?

zedcadjna
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yes depending where you end up. My friend is at a low key barn down there and they have a local trainer who she says does a lot of shows and when she can't she sends them with a BNT... She pays 500 a month for board, and her horses are impeccable, grooms, triple crown feed, includes holding for vet and farrier, I spoke with her yesterday and she said they filled the last stall this month... Her horses are located in North Port, which who knew they had such a place there...its known for their alligators,and flooding LOL, but they do have some pretty farms from what I saw last year, mostly private... Call linda aldrich you can pm me for her number, she is a friend of the family...will give you every barn in the area to look at...

heartinrye
Jul. 1, 2009, 12:38 AM
The only barn I found that listed boarding cost was $700 per month (included a weekly lesson). Is that the going rate down there?

Not really. It depends. If your barn is in a 'nice' (as in not out in the boonies) you should expect board around $1,000/month. If you are willing to drive, and your horses don't hate never-ending bugs which are the size of small dogs you can expect around $600-$800.

Remember- something I had never thought of living in a gated community- there are LOTS of large wild animals all over SWFL- my friend's horses face was ripped off by a panther in broad daylight in its paddock. The farther away you are from dense/unpopulated (by people that is) areas the safer you will (technically) be.

Sparky Boy
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:32 AM
Not really. It depends. If your barn is in a 'nice' (as in not out in the boonies) you should expect board around $1,000/month. If you are willing to drive, and your horses don't hate never-ending bugs which are the size of small dogs you can expect around $600-$800.

Remember- something I had never thought of living in a gated community- there are LOTS of large wild animals all over SWFL- my friend's horses face was ripped off by a panther in broad daylight in its paddock. The farther away you are from dense/unpopulated (by people that is) areas the safer you will (technically) be.

Holy crap!!! :eek: I did not know that!

I actually had not planned on looking at barns on our trip down there. Mostly houses and different towns. I figure wherever we end up, there's got to be a decent place for me to keep the horses.

heartinrye
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:39 AM
Holy crap!!! :eek: I did not know that!

I actually had not planned on looking at barns on our trip down there. Mostly houses and different towns. I figure wherever we end up, there's got to be a decent place for me to keep the horses.

Yup, quite scary. Don't assume there will be good places. When I moved down there it was more of "the best of the worst". I ended up having my horses live with my trainer in CT and commuting.

florida foxhunter
Jul. 1, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm not surprised at that board pricing.......it's basically the same in Ocala or Tallahassee. I was just reading a thread on board in the Northern VA area, and was quite surprised it's not much more, and possibly less than Florida's......One of our biggest cost is decent hay. To get anything but coastal, you have to pay $16-28 per BALE.......(depending on size and quality) Feed and hay often costs less in Ocala because of supply and demand I suppose.

I don't get down that often because it's a six hour drive from Tallahassee, but I know Fox Lea has a nice show ground and many shows........many A shows too. My barn is going down for ten days this month to show in two shows and enjoy the beaches........Unfortunately my barn help is on vacation, so I won't be able to join them!

Jaegermonster
Jul. 1, 2009, 10:26 PM
I grew up in Fort Myers and was one of Ann Pennington's original students when she first started out. I rode with her from 1980 until I left the area in 1988.
there is no way in hell you could ever get me to move back to S. Fl. or even south of Ocala for that matter, especially with horses. And I still have family down there.
And that whole area is on the edges of the everglades, all sorts of critters in there. No thanks.
Too hot, too many people, too expensive to live, and it takes you half a day just to get out of the state to go anywhere. Blech.

equest
Jul. 2, 2009, 01:41 PM

Probably, by now. When I was in Fort Myers a few years ago, the nice barns were $500-ish (lessons not included). With gas and hay prices having gone up, it would not surprise me. Prices tend to be even higher in Fort Lauderdale/Miami where I am now.

However, I am sure you can buy a small farmette in Fort Myers area for a steal, their market is so depressed. Farmettes are also fairly reasonable in Palm Beach County out west, Loxahatchee area but they are few and premium-priced in Fort Lauderdale/Miami area.

Lieb Schon
Jul. 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
The best places do not advertise. And not necessarily out of the way. That's why finding the good ones is so hard. I'll be happy to steer you to a few places. But there are only a few decent ones! We haul to Tampa, WEF, and Venice (FoxLea)for rated and unrated. The best unrated is the Palm Beach County Horeseman's Assoc. They primarily use the WEF grounds, or Littlewood when it's not available. There are also a couple of local circuits if you just want to play or school a youngster. The board ranges from $600-$1000. You'll also find the barns typically allow various disciplines and trainers. Not too many straight hunter barns. And be prepared for culture shock. I was appalled at how people keep their horses down here. Most places have no grass at all. It's very difficult to grow here in the sand. A lot of places are under water after the rainy season, and turnout is then limited. PM me for good barn info.

BAC
Jul. 2, 2009, 01:55 PM

You are so right about the wild animals. I was shocked last month when driving into the airport at Ft. Myers to notice what I thought were loose pigs wandering through the brush alongside the road. My sister (who lives there) casually commented that they were probably "wild boars" - very common and quite dangerous. :eek:

Giddy-up
Jul. 2, 2009, 03:06 PM
so all this talk of wildlife critters---I have to ask how bad are the snakes really

I am always told horror stories about snakes & bugs in FL. Obviously when visiting the tourist areas (like Disney) there aren't much wildlife left to roam (or before they are captured ;)) that I have seen. And I have been to Venice plenty & walked around, but not so much off the beaten path probably so I haven't seen any.

zedcadjna
Jul. 3, 2009, 01:23 AM
I lived in venice for 27yrs never came across any wild boars running through my fields.. Lots of big bugs "YUK".. The boars normally stayed out of the fields, we had wood fencing covered with a mesh to keep out wild animals.. You have to be careful when choosing a facility down there.. There are some beautiful places down there, I would move bk if I was still single, its beautiful... You just have to find the right place for you and your horse...we have coyotes where I live, and I'm surrounded by farms and they don't come near us... Ask ques, and most important take a drive around to make sure there aren't any canals with gators, as when they dry out the gators to look for other areas to be in...stay away from low lying areas as when it floods its days for most areas to dry up.. Good luck!!!

xEchox
Jul. 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
I live about 2/3 minutes from Venice and drive by Fox Lea quite often... I'd reccomend then as far as shows... the hunter scene is alright around here really... Definately Fox Lea has the best circuit around, with most shows in Sarasota/Tampa... Barns it depends.. I haven't boarded any of my horses in a while and they were small little barns...

xEchox
Jul. 7, 2009, 05:55 PM
F.Y.I Fox Lea I heard IS boarding now...
$500 ish a month for self-care...

http://www.foxleafarm.com/boarding.htm

I actually found a nice place in the Venice area that seems well kept and great barn-owners.. It's $700 I believe FULL board, they feed Seminole feeds and the horses all look extremely well cared for...

forwhomthebelltrolls
Jul. 11, 2009, 10:34 AM
Back from looking at homes. On the island of Venice....looked at pretty gated community. The homeless guy sleeping at the beach (while hubby and I took our lattes to watch bay) was a bit of a buzz kill.

The wierd guy parked in car at beach doing God knows what (husband said...dont look..) was a major yikes. The crime tape just erected at the mini mart with cops crawling all over right next to Italian resturant we were eating at kinda dampened the thrill.

I was concerned about bugs big enough to saddle up....and bull sharks in the bay....and they seem tame compared to the guy that wouldnt stop staring at me...then left coffee shop and stood outside staring thru window at me...pressed up against the glass....it was so bad we had to leave.

Thought Venice was tame compared to Boca...where they have abductions in borad day light of women in the parking lots of malls. (A realtor told us....that one of the shopping centers was ok....for women...as long as you go in your car and dont linger....whoa)

I think I may stay put where I am...and suffer through the winters.....thank you for your helpful responses.....

Giddy-up
Jul. 12, 2009, 05:27 PM
I am really sorry you didn't have a good Venice experience. :( Obviously every place is going to have some less than desirable moments, but it sounds like you happened to get it all at once. I can honestly say my family has spent quite a bit of time down there over the years & I don't think we've ever had quite the encounters you had. Unless you count the 70+ YO men on the beach in their thongs that my mom got a glimpse of. :winkgrin:

zedcadjna
Jul. 12, 2009, 09:14 PM
Back from looking at homes. On the island of Venice....looked at pretty gated community. The homeless guy sleeping at the beach (while hubby and I took our lattes to watch bay) was a bit of a buzz kill.

The wierd guy parked in car at beach doing God knows what (husband said...dont look..) was a major yikes. The crime tape just erected at the mini mart with cops crawling all over right next to Italian resturant we were eating at kinda dampened the thrill.

I was concerned about bugs big enough to saddle up....and bull sharks in the bay....and they seem tame compared to the guy that wouldnt stop staring at me...then left coffee shop and stood outside staring thru window at me...pressed up against the glass....it was so bad we had to leave.

Thought Venice was tame compared to Boca...where they have abductions in borad day light of women in the parking lots of malls. (A realtor told us....that one of the shopping centers was ok....for women...as long as you go in your car and dont linger....whoa)

I think I may stay put where I am...and suffer through the winters.....thank you for your helpful responses.....

Never heard or saw Bull Sharks in the bay... Lived on the island for 27yrs skied, swam from crows nest to the north jetty and never had a problem with sharks... Dolphins were known to bite a finger or two because idiots thought they were cute and feed them off their boats... I moved 10yrs ago and still visit my family, and friends.... Go to Boca Grande you could see the big Hammerhead during tarpon season...I wouldn't ski there during season cause of the hammerheads... But here in NJ we have cold winters, bugs, snakes, sharks... No different yhere then fla, NJ just has 4 seasons and you don't see that much in fla...