PDA

View Full Version : What is the Logic in this?

HyperCat
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:57 PM
I'm babysitting a little girl this summer. She's a rider too and I've been able to go out and watch a few of her lessons. She rides a pretty nice barn. It's strictly a lesson barn. They have about 50 horses and what seems like a million lesson kids. The horses and riders there don't jump any higher 2' to prevent injuries. My own trainer describes that barn as a nice place to learn the basics but a place where you'll never progress if you stay.

What I cannot figure out is why the horses wear the tack that they do. Every single horse in the barn (all 50) goes a Pelham bit and a German martingale. Obviously these items have their place, but it seems excessive considering a majority of the barn's clients are 10 year olds who don't ride well enough to use them effectively. Am I crazy or is there a reason this makes sense?

MistyPony
Jun. 27, 2009, 12:01 AM
Wow...I can't think of one that's for sure!

JustJump
Jun. 27, 2009, 10:41 AM
Why would you expect to find any legitimate reason for it? It's not a legitimately 'nice' barn, just an income mill. The logic is that it works for them to prevent disruptions to thier income stream.

It doesn't sound like they aim to do anything much with the riders as far as teaching them skills. I'm not sure what 'basics' your trainer is referring to, but it doesn't sound like a very nice barn at all to me.

BeaSting
Jun. 27, 2009, 11:07 AM
Deep discount on bulk purchase of pelhams?