PDA

View Full Version : How to put on a name plate??

case solved
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:11 PM
My boyfriend got me a beautiful name plate to put on my leather halter as a gift (he's a keeper!) but I've never put one on before. Our local tack shop used to do it, but they have relocated and I'd rather not drive that far. It looks like they are chicago screws?? I would just experiment but the halter was really pricey and the nicest one I've ever had. Suggestions???

Lou-Lou
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:29 PM
I would look for a shoe repair shop and see if they'll do it for you. :)

case solved
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:30 PM
good idea! I didn't think of that

Sparky
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:36 PM
It's really easy to do--I put our plates on myself. Position the plate where you want it, and mark the holes. Use an electric drill to make the holes. If you got chicago screws, then all you have to do is put them in and screw them together. If you have rivets, put the fancy side on top, insert into the other part, cover with a cloth to prevent scratching and smack them together with a hammer. You have to have stems on both types of fasteners that are appropriate for the thickness of the leather, so be sure to check that first.

Mamare
Jun. 26, 2009, 10:10 PM
What a sweet BF!

Trees4U
Jun. 28, 2009, 07:01 PM
Where can I buy just the rivets or screws?

superpony123
Jun. 28, 2009, 08:35 PM
take it to a cobbler

WorthTheWait95
Jun. 28, 2009, 08:58 PM
It's really easy to do--I put our plates on myself. Position the plate where you want it, and mark the holes. Use an electric drill to make the holes. If you got chicago screws, then all you have to do is put them in and screw them together. If you have rivets, put the fancy side on top, insert into the other part, cover with a cloth to prevent scratching and smack them together with a hammer. You have to have stems on both types of fasteners that are appropriate for the thickness of the leather, so be sure to check that first.

That's how I do it and have never had an issue. Really easy and all of my Walsh halters/plates are holding up great (one will be 15 years old this year and still has my first pony's nameplate on it!).

I get my screws from my local tack shop. You should be able to order them online though if you can't get to yours.