PDA

View Full Version : Hunter tail extensions - which type??

Swale01
Jun. 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking about getting a tail extension for my gelding for the bigger shows and am trying to learn about the different types available (specifically, the different attachment options.) Any braiders or experienced tail extension owners out there who can offer an opinion on which are the easiest/most secure that you'd recommend?

I should add that I would like to use the tail without needing a tail braid at least some of the time....I should also add that I asked my usual braider about this already and he didn't seem to have a specific recommendation for me.

And any specific kinds to avoid?

Midge
Jun. 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
Please do not get the 'Australian' or 'Grand Champion' tails. They are rarely long enough. Construction-wise, they are not attached to any fabric. If you turn in inside out, you can see it is braided together on the inside. It is bulky at the top and harder to conceal.

Of course, it's the one most people have and is readily available at most major tack stores. :rolleyes:

A friend got one from Show Pen she is very happy with. I can also give you the number of the woman who makes all the tails I buy. She is a genius.

superpony123
Jun. 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but arent tail extensions always supposed to be braided in? i think you can do them without a literal show tail braid, though. i think there's a way you can braid it in, on the inside or something? im sure a good braider could chime in and confirm :yes:

i'm sure you know this but i can't stand how many times i see this: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE match the fake tail hair exactly to your horses!! it looks SO silly when i see 2 different tail colors (now sure, on paints and such they can often have diff tail colors naturally, but you know what i mean. my boy has white around the tail bone but then growing from the bottom of his tail is a chestnut-flaxen color. but for solid horses, please make sure it matches perfectly!)

Swale01
Jun. 26, 2009, 06:40 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but arent tail extensions always supposed to be braided in? i think you can do them without a literal show tail braid, though.

Sorry for the confusion - this is what I meant - it's OK if it's braided in to stay in, but I want to be able to use it without the literal show tail braid. :yes:

Midge, I'd love the number!

Midge
Jun. 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
Swale, I sent you a PM. Honestly, if your horse's tail is black, ask her for a 1/2 and 1/2, which is half dyed black hair and half natural black hair. If your horse is odd in any way, extra tall, very short tail bone, etc. tell her that. Otherwise, say send me a tail and she will. If your horse does not have a black tail, she will want you to send her a strand for color matching. They are perfect.

AmandaandTuff
Jun. 26, 2009, 07:25 PM
I bought a tail from my friend and it has three loops to do small braids into. It's a quarter pound and was extra long, I trimmed 4-6 inches off for it to fit my horse. We did cross rails with it and it stayed in.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/5149_94529457006_709387006_2482060_.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/5149_94529512006_709387006_2482070_.jpg

BearWithMe
Jun. 26, 2009, 07:47 PM
the fake tails people at my barn use have a loop at the top that is braided into a small section of the hair in the middle of the tail with a string. and yes you can put it in without doing a show braid in the tail.

bhrunner06
Jun. 26, 2009, 08:33 PM
midge, can you please pm me the number as well? How quickly can she get them done? Are hers pricey?

Sparky
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:19 PM
We do some quarter horses, so lots of tails to put in. My favorite top is a knob with a hole drilled in the middle--kind of looks like a thread spool. I make a braid at the back of the horses tail just above the end of the tail bone. Then take a black zip tie, go through the hole in the knob, through the braid, then draw the knob up to the end of the tail bone and snug it up--not tight, but definitely at the end. Wrap with electrical tape and your done! Time elapsed: about 30 seconds. We get all of our tails from Barb Delf in Iowa.

DMK
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:55 PM
midge, I use a show pen tail on Lido (it's his My Fisher Price First Fake Tail) and the price was right since I was going to trim it down for 2 year old length, but it is too damn heavy and it has such a big knot/braid of hair at the top it's hard to pull it up under the braid. If I leave it in too long, it actually pulls the tail braid down more than I would like (and I really tie it up there). I generally have to loop up about half the tail in my tail wrap to keep the weight from pulling it down too much.

I do agree though, Champion tails are kind of thin/short. They are fine for my older horse since he has enough tail that a fake is pure vanity on my part, but somewhere between these two type is the right weight for the average tail.

Long Shadow Farm
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
There is a company that is called Broomtails........ www.broomtails.com
She makes some of the nicest tails I have seen around in the QH tails. She can help you match up the tail so you cannot tell it's fake and she has a type of tail that has a flat back with gromet holes that will lay flat against your horse's tail and tie in so you cannot tell it's even there. Moves more naturally and well worth the extra cash.

I can vouch for them as she helped me get a fake forelock for my gelding rigged up. My guy has about 5 hairs (well...maybe a few more... but not much) in his forelock and they are fuzzy and hard to braid. She helped me make up a fake forelock that I would braid ahead of them and just clip in his regular forelock. It looked so real and nice. Then one of the dang JRT got hold of it one day and destroyed it........grrr.... but I am planning on ordering another one soon.

Good luck.....

Bobbi

mypaintwattie
Jun. 27, 2009, 12:48 AM
I highly recommend The Show Pen- they have wonderful customer service and the tail they sent me is just amazing- matches perfectly and is the right weight. I use a cap style extension because I show on the breed circuit, it is very simple to put in. They have a natural loop that is perfect for the hunters when you are braiding.

Tiffany01
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:50 AM
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww138/TMA572/Shows/003-3.jpg here is my tail.

Madeline
Jun. 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just say no. Spend the $ on another lesson(or 2 or 3).Real hunters don't do fake tails...

SpicyMonarch
Jun. 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
Just say no. Spend the $ on another lesson(or 2 or 3).Real hunters don't do fake tails...

Seriously?:rolleyes:

Midge
Jun. 27, 2009, 04:04 PM
midge, can you please pm me the number as well? How quickly can she get them done? Are hers pricey?

She is generally pretty quick if you just need a fairly standard black tail. She generally has those made up and I can get one in a week. If you have a hard match, it could take a while. I just sent her a swatch recently and had the tail back two weeks from the time I sent the swatch.

The black and chestnut tails are $175 to $200-ish. The grey ones are eleventy million dollars.

PM on the way. I really should ask her if she cares if I post her number.

Midge
Jun. 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
midge, I use a show pen tail on Lido (it's his My Fisher Price First Fake Tail) and the price was right since I was going to trim it down for 2 year old length, but it is too damn heavy and it has such a big knot/braid of hair at the top it's hard to pull it up under the braid. If I leave it in too long, it actually pulls the tail braid down more than I would like (and I really tie it up there). I generally have to loop up about half the tail in my tail wrap to keep the weight from pulling it down too much.

I do agree though, Champion tails are kind of thin/short. They are fine for my older horse since he has enough tail that a fake is pure vanity on my part, but somewhere between these two type is the right weight for the average tail.

(This is me not commenting on a feed 'n lead with a fake tail.) I have not seen my friend's tail from show pen but she has helped me braid in the past so I assume she is happy with how it goes in. I hate big gobs at the top though. I did see a picture of the tail in the steed and it was pretty big and needed trimming and he was a big butted old thing.

I am not fond of pulling the tail in. I tie a piece of braiding yarn, two pieces if you want extra strength, to the loop of the fake tail, so the tail is in the center. When I reach the appropriate point, I start braiding the yarn into the tail braid, while pushing the fake tail back against the real tail. The first couple of times you do it, you look around for your third hand to reach in and help, but eventually you get the hang of it. This method allows you to custom fit the hair over that big ugly knob. It probably doesn't look any better, but you'll feel you've put less stress on your real tail. I also think this method distributes the weight of the fake tail across more real tail hair and causes less breakage. It can also prevent the yarn from snapping should the beast step back on the tail. The yarn will stretch, rather than break.

Since I have a rack of fake tails and a rack of horses to put them in, I can custom hang just about any tail in any horse and get it to match up correctly. No need to sift though the tails to find just the right one.

DMK
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:00 PM
... you've put less stress on your real tail.

This begs the question "what real tail"?

When I say he has embraced his inner appaloosa, I'm not being dramatic. :eek:

A168HJ
Jun. 27, 2009, 08:51 PM
What I always do is separate the tail first. Separate the tail in half. Have a bottom layer and a top layer. Clip the top layer up using a hair clip. Then braid two regular braids in the horses tail.

Tail extensions come with two strings for tying the tail in. Put one string through one braid and the other string through the other. Then tie a knot and loop the two strings around the hair and tie another knot and another know. Then let down the top half and your ready to go.

When you are putting the strings through the braid the braids act like jump pins, in a way, the higher up you put the string through the higher up the tail extension will be. You want it to be level with the bottom of the tail. Make sure that is in place before tying it. If you are as high up as you can go and it's still too long then you will just have to secure it there and trim the extension with scissors.

Remember to never tie the extension around the dock!

I think other people have done a good job of making suggestions so...

Good luck!

ckerzner
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:35 PM
hello,, can i also get your tail ladies number...

Thanks!

Lazy-Pony
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
I just adore the tail extension I got from the show pen.
Had one made to match my boy- sent a few hairs and a picture of the different colors in his tail. I got the natural loop version as recommended to me by the show pen, as my horse is a tail swisher! :)
I've had the tail for about five years and it's perfect!

Seven-up
Jun. 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
That broomtails site is interesting. I had no idea barrel racers and cutting horses used fake tails. Crazy.

There was a thread a while back about someone looking for a curly fake tail. I wish I could remember who it was, that website looked like it had some curly ones.

florida foxhunter
Jul. 2, 2009, 09:27 AM
I've never used a fake tail before so don't know much about them. Does "the show pen" have a website?

LH
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:39 AM

Not so. Probably 1/3 to 1/2 of the horses and ponies at the rings at the AA shows likely have a fake tail in. At least those doing the rated divisions (green hunters, ponies, juniors, A/Os). Just ask the braiders . . . ;-))

LH
Jul. 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
I've never used a fake tail before so don't know much about them. Does "the show pen" have a website?

Patti, do a search and you'll find the Show Pen - nice website. For the hunters, you can get the tail with the "loop" at the top - braiders usually like that type the best - easier to adjust on a horse that you're braiding for the first time. Be careful about trimming the tail when you get it - best to leave that to the braider.

Tiffani B
Jul. 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
I've bought tails from www.customtails.com and have been VERY happy. Their pricing is reasonable and they offer many styles, colors, weights, lengths, and custom.

One I bought from them had the hair attached flat, similar to the wrap-around extension, with grommets on each upper corner. I simply put two small braids in my horses' tail, pulled them through the grommets, and braided them to each other behind the extension. It was SO easy to put in and take out and there was no bulk at the top. I don't see this type of tail on her site anymore but perhaps if you ask...

luvs2ridewbs
Jul. 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
What weight of tail is best for a hunter? (your average hunter, not a tail swisher, etc) 1lb? 1/2lb?

blueponies
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:10 PM
can I get the number of the woman everyone is talking about

TheOrangeOne
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:36 PM
I would use Midge's person. If it's the same person who my braider got my tail from, hers are fantastic. Mine is in several layers, sewn onto a cloth backing, with a horsehair braid loop. NO KNOBS. it braids in beautifully and moves perfectly with the horse, even when my tie in slips and the tail ends up off the dock.