PDA

View Full Version : Has this gone a bit too far?

JustABay
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:17 PM
So the starving student's horse needed a few things from the tack shop. Being the savvy shopper I am, I got a deal on electrolyte powder as there was a hole in the bag. Feeling rather impressed with myself, I went in search of a nice used bridle for my boy. I am a well trained bargain hunter, but have to say, it's hard to be a bargain hunter with prices the way they are now. I mean who has $500+ to spend on a bridle?? And used, they are still $200! I am usually fairly happy after a trip to the tack shop, but I was pretty bummed out yesterday seeing the high costs of new tack. What's happened?

luvs2ridewbs
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:52 PM
yeah they are pricey. Try one of the Smartpak bridles. People have been raving about them and they are much more reasonable.

Pirateer
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
The inflated prices of the late 90s/early 00's haven't been brought down.

fordtraktor
Jun. 26, 2009, 02:57 PM
I bought an Edgewood from the outlet on Ebay for a GREAT price. Great product, only a little dye mark kept it from being perfect, and that oiled out completely. I highly recommend them.

hellerkm
Jun. 26, 2009, 03:14 PM
I scored a Nice soft used bridle for my daughters pony for $9 with a bit the other day!!! don't' ask my how or why its a really nice bridle and we love it!! keep looking they are out there, its tough when you only have one or two consignment tack stores near you though.

dab
Jun. 26, 2009, 03:19 PM
I picked up a barely used Harry Dabbs bridle with standing martingale and SS bit at a tack swap this spring for $35 -- The tack swaps by me don't have as big a turnout as years ago -- I'm guessing eBay is getting some of that business -- But, I still have my best luck buying strap goods at swaps --

CDNJumperGirl
Jun. 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
I found an Edgewood bridle with reins for $40 in the consignment section of one of my local tack shops. I found my saddle at a tack swap for $50 (needed a little bit of work, but was still easily worth many times over what I paid).

I`m with you on being a starving student and a bargain hunter! You`ve just got to have patience and things will pop up. Ebay is your friend!

indygirl2560
Jun. 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
I found an Edgewood bridle with reins for $40 in the consignment section of one of my local tack shops. I found my saddle at a tack swap for $50 (needed a little bit of work, but was still easily worth many times over what I paid).

I`m with you on being a starving student and a bargain hunter! You`ve just got to have patience and things will pop up. Ebay is your friend!
definitely! I just bought a brand new Lettia pad for $8 and calfskin Toulouse leathers for $40! The deals are out there, you just have to look really hard. OP, I'm like you and can't afford the $500 bridle, but if you keep looking, you'll find a good deal somewhere!