PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Saddle Pads

indygirl2560
Jun. 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
I have a really nice Lettia pad that needs to be cleaned but I'm kind of afraid to put it in my washer. With my thinner cotton pads, I just throw them in the washer and hang dry, but the Lettia pad is really thick and not all cotton. Also, it has a lot of hair on the underside that I've tried lint rolling, plucking, brushing, etc and it won't come out! What are you cleaning methods, especially for thick pads? And what kind of cleaning product do you use that doesn't "hurt" your pads?

furlong47
Jun. 26, 2009, 12:50 PM
I chuck them all in the wash with a little 'free & clear' detergent... also put them through the dryer. I have some of the thicker pads including Lettia ones and haven't had a problem with washing any of them this way. They come out looking close to new.

A friend clued me in to this, the Epona 'shed flower' grooming tool does a decent job removing hair from the underside of pads

billiebob
Jun. 26, 2009, 01:14 PM
I brush the bottom of the pad and then just wash it with regular detergent, using stain remover if necessary. I've never had an issue with this, including my fancy Lettia coolmax pad (the thick one). If there are particularly resistant hairs on it, I use a lint roller and change the sticky sheet frequently.

CraziiPonii
Jun. 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have a really nice Lettia pad that needs to be cleaned but I'm kind of afraid to put it in my washer. With my thinner cotton pads, I just throw them in the washer and hang dry, but the Lettia pad is really thick and not all cotton. Also, it has a lot of hair on the underside that I've tried lint rolling, plucking, brushing, etc and it won't come out! What are you cleaning methods, especially for thick pads? And what kind of cleaning product do you use that doesn't "hurt" your pads?

One of my pads is a Lettia, and I throw it in the washer. I haven't had any problems with it. Believe it or not, I vacuum the hair off of my saddle pads(using one of the smaller hose attachments)

indygirl2560
Jun. 26, 2009, 03:56 PM
One of my pads is a Lettia, and I throw it in the washer. I haven't had any problems with it. Believe it or not, I vacuum the hair off of my saddle pads(using one of the smaller hose attachments)
I forgot to mention that I tried the vacuum too!:lol: After only two rides, the hair became "intertwined" with the underside fabric and nothing so far has been able to make it get off!

Pirateer
Jun. 26, 2009, 04:02 PM
I wash mine with regular detergent and bleach.
I wash my lease horse's with dye free/fragrance free detergent. Those ones don't actually come clean.