PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of registration?

Come Shine
Jun. 26, 2009, 10:36 AM
There is an RPSI inspection coming to our area this summer and I wondered if there would be any benefit to presenting my mare.

Specifically, I wondered if having her registered would be a selling feature down the road. She is a 9 year old show jumper. Would this only be relevant if I was thinking of breeding her or selling her as a broodmare?

Christa P
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:06 AM
First - I suggext posting this in the breeding forum - you will probably get more answers.

Second - Do you have any papers or proof of pedigree on her now. If not the best she can get is into the lowest books and I don't think that will make much difference in her sale price.

Chrsita

Come Shine
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Christa. Yes, she would just be in the lower books. I didn't post in breeding because I don't want to breed her or sell her as a broodmare. I guess I'm trying to make a case to my DH to go through the process of registration. However, it doesn't sound like I will have much of a leg to stand on in regards to being an investment.

Or: For people looking at sales ads for jumpers, does having a horse registered make any difference? If you had two horses of equal quality, would registration be a factor in your decision?

luvs2ridewbs
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:25 AM
I don't care if the horse is registered or not but I usually have geldings. It may matter more for a mare that may eventually breed.

Justice
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
A mare inspection does not "register" a horse, it simply makes its offspring eligible for registry if the mare is bred to an approved stallion. If the mare is not registered, she would only be eligible for the pre-mare book.

Occasionally, older horses out of approved mares and stallions can be registered, (rules/exceptions vary by breed), in that case you need dna testing and a copy of the stallion certificate.

Hope that helps! I am no expert.

Come Shine
Jun. 26, 2009, 09:49 PM
Justice: Thank you for your explanation. I am really trying to figure this out.

Her sire has a few nice horses on the ground. However, I would be at a complete loss as to DNA or a stallion certificate.

Thanks for the help.

Justice
Jun. 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm going to assume we're talking about RPSI registration. If the dam was approved as an RPSI broodmare, and the stallion is RPSI approved, then the dna test is not as big of a deal as it sounds. The RPSI website has forms so that you can order kits, and the stallion and mare owner and the horse you're trying to register just need to have tail hairs pulled. This assumes that dam and stallion are alive and owners are willing to help. I have no clue how old your horse is, this usually happens for yearlings or two year olds that due to extenuating circumstances missed their "normal" inspection time. If the dam wasn't approved and her current owner is willing to take her to an inspection, then the "baby" could still be registered. The stallion owner (again assuming that the stallion is an approved RPSI stallion), can provide you with a copy of the stallion certificate.

I have found both the RPSI and ISR Old registries are great to work with, and happy to answer any questions you might have.

Again, I am by no means an expert, but am going through a similar situation with my two-year-old. Because it's a mare, if she's really nice and eligible for registration, go for it. You are providing her with a chance to be in the main mare book of whatever registry she's in, which makes her more valuable as a broodmare down the road, should something happen to her performance career.

Come Shine
Jun. 29, 2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks all.

Justice, your advice was really helpful. Good luck with your mare! My girl is 9, her dam is unregistered, and, while I think her sire is registered, I am not 100% sure. Since I will not be breeding this mare and do not want to sell her as a broodmare (as nice as she is), it sounds like there are other things I can spend my money on.

If something does happen to her performance career, she has a life ahead of her as a trail horse, a horse a beginner can ride, just a nice all around horse to be with. We have worked on lots of things to make her a useful contributor to society. :)

Thanks again for all the help.