View Full Version : Help me prepare for my first real show in almost a decade!

Jun. 26, 2009, 10:42 AM
So I may be getting a little nervous. I haven't actually shown at anything more than IHSA or primary shows in 9 years, and I'm showing at a Gold show this weekend. I'm doing AA and One Meter hunters, and a medal. Does anyone have any tips and tricks for keeping my cool and being prepared? My biggest concern is I have a really hard time remembering courses - not as much of a big deal for the regular hunter classes, but I have a Handy and the Medal to worry about. It usually takes me about 5 minutes of tracing patterns in the air like a loony, then I'm still nervous and convey that to the horse. Anyone have any tips? And links to a packing list, because I'm sure I'll forget something!

Jun. 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
Remember to breathe. I always remember my courses by color or decor. I'll say something like, purple to green to red flowers to purple flowers to orange to brown to white to brown 2. etc... This is the easiest way for my brain ;)

Jun. 26, 2009, 11:43 AM
how exciting!! i just did my first 'real' show in a long time a few weeks ago, so i understand where you're coming from!

but it helps me to go more towards the end of the order and watch a few rounds, seeing if i can name what fence is next before the rider jumps it. of course, this can get one in trouble if people start going off course!