PDA

View Full Version : saddle question

crazyhorses
Jun. 26, 2009, 01:58 AM
I know, these are probably all over... ha. Anyway. I'm tall. Like think almost 6ft. My problem? You got it! Saddle fit. Oh the joys. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new (or used) saddle. My four year old decided that she no longer wanted to be a narrow. My question for you (whomever you may be) is... what saddle has the most forward flap? Because of my leg length (I'm practically All legs), my knee has a tendancy to go Over the knee roll area. So i might want something More than what I need. A woman told me I should go to an 18" saddle and that would work. Suggestions? Ideas? Or do I just need to shrink? =)

NEHunter
Jun. 26, 2009, 07:08 AM
I am very long in the thigh and the Antares Hampton Classic worked for me and my horse, super comfortable.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 26, 2009, 08:37 AM
What is your price range?

crazyhorses
Jun. 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
What is your price range?

I would like to stay below 2k.... However, I might be able to go above if the saddle is *the* saddle for me.

Renn/aissance
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
I asked for price range because in my experience the saddles with the most varied possible flap configurations are custom or semi-custom. You can sometimes find these used at or around $2k.

Saddles with forward flap configurations which can be found new/used for under $2k:
Barnsby (Milton and Schockemole models)
Crosby Centennial (better for a long knee-to-floor than long hip-to-knee)
Beval (the Natural saddle offers a Long/Forward and Extra-Long configuration; while slightly out of your price range they can be found used at reasonable prices)
Butet (made by Beval, lots of flap configurations, can be found used around $2k if you do some looking)
Bates (they make a forward flap, and that is all I have to say about them)

Saddles which may work for you depending on your measurements
Equipe Expression (built along the lines of an Amerigo Vega, this saddle does not have a very forward flap, but the relationship between working center/stirrup bar placement/knee pocket makes it ride forward. Depending on how you're built it may work for you, or may not.)
Pessoa Legacy models (very forward flap by default)
BdH Special (forward at top of flap. If you are average from hip to knee but long from knee to floor, this may work for you, or it may not. If you're long from hip to knee, forget this one.)

You can sometimes find Antares, Devoucoux, or CWD saddles at or around the $2k mark; these saddles have lots of flap options. If it turns out you take an unusual size you might have trouble finding one in your price range.

What do you ride in now, incidentally, that your mare has outgrown?

mvp
Jun. 26, 2009, 11:23 AM
Off the beaten path, you might sit in a Jeffries Elite. It has a very forward flap, a balance point well back in the seat (for better and for worse) and is well-made. They are also wool-flocked and have panels cut to help out horses. Their trees come in different widths and Wide is plenty wide for most horses.

Also, see if you can find an Exselle Debut. This is another way-forward flapped puppy. The balance point in this saddles if more forward. These also come in medium and wide trees, plus wool and foam flocked versions. Nota bene: the woolers and the foamers fit very differently. The trees in these saddles seem to be more curved, front to back, with the wool option seeming to make them more stable. These are pretty, well-made saddles.

crazyhorses
Jun. 26, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info you guys! I realize I probably need a semi-custom or custom, but I am *hoping* I can find something that works and is a bit cheaper!

The saddle she outgrew was a Pessoa. I believe it's a make they don't make any more... Like Stadium or something? In the description, it said "forward flap" WHen I bought it (ohhh about 6 years ago!) it fit me and my previous horse great.

sweetpea
Jun. 26, 2009, 08:15 PM
I had a bunch of hits -- sounds like it is still available.
Was yours a regular tree??

crazyhorses
Jun. 27, 2009, 01:18 AM
Naw, it was a narrow. It was used on my TB back in the day.

Donkey
Jun. 27, 2009, 02:11 AM
Going with a larger seat along with a flatter seat will be much more forgiving for long thighs. I am not as tall as you but have long legs and have found it too be true. My favorite saddle I bought used from my male coach (saddle was designed for the taller of the species ;) - ps. it's an ancient stubben most likely not even close to what your looking for).

Across Sicily
Jun. 29, 2009, 10:50 AM
Going with a larger seat along with a flatter seat will be much more forgiving for long thighs. I am not as tall as you but have long legs and have found it too be true. My favorite saddle I bought used from my male coach (saddle was designed for the taller of the species ;) - ps. it's an ancient stubben most likely not even close to what your looking for).

Speaks truth - I just measured my so-called 17.5" old-as-crap PDN yesterday to discover it's really a 17". Yeah it's too small, but my knee actually doesn't go over the flap like it does in most saddles that are the same size-ish. Whereas in a deeper saddle (the PDN being pancake-flat) you can bet my knee is over the flap or I'm struggling like crazy to keep it from not doing that.

The curse of the long femur!