PDA

View Full Version : Smartflex III Ultra - anyone try it and like it?

Ritazza
Jun. 5, 2009, 01:40 AM
Has anyone used any of Smartpak's joint supplements, particularly the Smartpak III Ultra, and noticed a difference in their horse? Very interested to see if there's any supporting research that says they work versus something like Cosequin ASU (which maresie is on right now and, I'm sorry to say, seems to make no difference in her. She's sound but she has some arthritic changes in her hocks, and I worry like crazy!).

Seven-up
Jun. 5, 2009, 02:36 AM
I'll be interested in the answers you get here as well. I ordered the Smartflex II Support stuff and it is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

horsegirl123
Jun. 5, 2009, 06:00 AM
My horse has been on it for two years and yes it has made a difference for this horse.

Lexus
Jun. 5, 2009, 11:38 AM
I use Smartflex Repair as it is suppose to not only benefit joints but also tendon and ligaments.

I use it for maintenance so I can't say I've seen any difference but hopefully my horses will last alot longer because of it (and the adequan).

pintopiaffe
Jun. 5, 2009, 02:46 PM
Tried it, liked it, had the same--noticeable, recordable--results on it as HylaRx Complete, which is slightly cheaper, and ActiFlex 4000 which is significantly cheaper.

Unless I had a compelling reason to want the Vit C--which I don't at the moment, I save $$ and get the HylaRx complete or the Actiflex. The ActiFlex is liquid, which is problematic, I realize. I'm going to try the ActiFlex Sr next time, which is quite similar, but powder.

Currently using Majesty's wafers--1 ea of the HA and the Flex, and seeing similar results to all of the above, but super-useful while they are on pasture at the moment. ;)

Lazy-Pony
Jun. 5, 2009, 04:00 PM
I received a three day sample of the senior horse version from SmartPak and was so grateful because my horse *actually* ate it. He is a master 'sifter' and can eat around his supplements. I'm waiting now on the delivery of the bucket- the testimonials online had me very encouraged. I'm very excited about this new supplement. :)
I really like SmartPak...and you can't beat their customer service. Maybe request a sample to see if your horse will eat it also?

wildlifer
Jun. 5, 2009, 04:38 PM
I use the SmartFlex Senior because it has the devil's claw (was previously using the SmartFlex II) and yes, I notice a difference in my horse. He is also a picky eater, but I only have to add a little water to his food so his supplements "stick" to it. I also use their SmartHoof supplement, which is great. They have a good product and unbeatable customer service, I completely heart SmartPak!

Seven-up
Jun. 5, 2009, 06:28 PM
I have been told by the best leg vet in my area that joint supplements need vitamin C in them or the glucosamine isn't absorbed very well. This is of course debateable; there are studies that show glucos. works, studies that show it doesn't, studies that show it's not absorbed without vit. C, studies that show it is, blah, blah, blah. I guess we'll see.

Anyway, my last joint supp. was pretty much nothing but glucosamine, and I guess it worked ok. The horse had some rotation and along with corrective shoeing, it was recommended that I put her on a joint supp. She's sound now, but I don't know if it's the shoeing, the supp., or both.

I got my SmartPak shipment today. :D Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SmartPak can add flavoring to just about any SmartPak you want them to. I think they even send you a free package of several different flavors so you can do a taste test.

I got the pellets instead of the powder, because I got 2 other supplements that are powdered, so I thought that might be a lot of powder to potentially get sifted out and the joint supp. is the most important one.

skyy
Jun. 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
There are a few horses at my barn on the Smartflex III Ultra and their owners all believe that it has made a marked difference and/or increased the interval between hock injections.

HappyHorsey
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to bump this up, as I was also looking at this supplement for my older pony. Anyone else have any experiences? Ritazza, did you end up trying it?

Mary in Area 1
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:26 PM
That stuff is great. I've seen improvements in horses I didn't even think needed to improve!

Love the pellets now, too. Now I know they're eating it all and not stuck to the bottom of the grain bucket.

twofatponies
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:30 PM
I've been using it for a year on my two teenage mares (one is 18). Honestly there's no way for me to tell... They were okay before; they are okay now. It's not like they used to be lame and now they aren't. I was sort of doing it as a preventative...

I am taking a break for a while because I'm trying to tighten the budget. I guess that will show whether it was doing anything! I'm reducing it gradually. If in three-four months they are suddenly moving worse, I'll start it up again. If they seem the same, then I was wasting money. Howzat for science! :D