PDA

View Full Version : Reminder for All OTTB Hunter Jumper Show

LeightonFarm
Jun. 3, 2009, 10:07 AM
We are trying to get as many entries as possible for this show at the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Virginia. It looks like it's going to be a success, but we want to ensure that the VHC and other groups will sponsor more of these all OTTB shows. If you can't enter a horse, perhaps you can sponsor a class or get a group together to sponsor one. Every penny counts!

Go to http://www.leightonfarm.com/news_&_events.htm

ryansgirl
Jun. 3, 2009, 08:17 PM
Bump - wish it was up in New England - I'd go!! Sounds like it'll be a great show and hopefully get more people to notice how nice OTTB's can be!! :)

We are trying to get as many entries as possible for this show at the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Virginia. It looks like it's going to be a success, but we want to ensure that the VHC and other groups will sponsor more of these all OTTB shows. If you can't enter a horse, perhaps you can sponsor a class or get a group together to sponsor one. Every penny counts!

Go to http://www.leightonfarm.com/news_&_events.htm

tarheelmd07
Jun. 4, 2009, 10:34 AM
I was hoping to bring 2, but one is laid up on stall rest...but I'm bringing 1 down from maryland :D We're primarily coming for the jumpers, but since we'll be hanging out all weekend, I think we'll try some hunter classes too...eventhough I'm pretty sure the old man has never done a hunter class in his life :eek:

but, hey...who says an old horse can't learn some new tricks...

now to find out where I put that hunt coat and fitted pad...

Neighland
Jun. 4, 2009, 05:07 PM
I totally wanted to come up for this, but am not going to be able to make it this year, but I soooo hope it will be around next year or even perhaps one later this summer?! Such a fantastic idea!! :yes::yes::yes::yes:

GettingBack
Jun. 5, 2009, 12:04 PM
Wish I could go, but I'm too far away and don't have the funds to travel...maybe next year!!! Wish there was one in PA!

NeverEnd
Jun. 5, 2009, 04:25 PM
What a great fundraiser! How fun!! I purchased my guy from Kim 2 years ago and he's the love of my life! She's doing a great thing for Thoroughbreds! Everyone come and support! I'm going to try to make it!

SquishTheBunny
Jun. 5, 2009, 05:01 PM
Such a great idea, and wonderful promotion for the OTTBs!

There is a "Thoroughbred" Classic run twice a year at the A shows up here, open to any TB
s (raced, homebred or sportbred) who competes in any hunter division (so ranges from 2'6 up to the 3'6). Its SO much fun and a wonderful plug for the breed. Prize money is donated from an OTTB rescue.

sm
Jun. 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
<<bump>>

I'm sponsoring awards, and hope to attend. A quick link to prize list and entry form:

http://horsecenter.org/classlists/Thoroughbred%20Show%2009.pdf

sm
Jun. 21, 2009, 06:35 PM
Was there both days, and the show went really well. East Complex was extremely well run and very easy for the horses travelling from barn to indoor warm up to indoor ring.

Mgt is planning another with the same format at the VA Horse Center, looking for an open slot in September.

tarheelmd07
Jun. 21, 2009, 07:43 PM
We had a fabulous time at the show - it was VERY well run and everyone was very friendly - even to a eventer masquerading as a jumper for the weekend :lol:

sm - I'm wondering if I met you, as it seems like I met a ton of folks there...due largely to the fact that I was the one there with the 21yo horse :D

make x it x so
Jun. 21, 2009, 09:27 PM
I wish they had one of these by me! (Long Island)

What's the definition of OTTB? My guy was trained/tattooed but has no starts.... I'm guessing that he wouldn't qualify.

But either way, it's a great way to promote the breed!

tarheelmd07
Jun. 21, 2009, 10:07 PM
I wish they had one of these by me! (Long Island)

What's the definition of OTTB? My guy was trained/tattooed but has no starts.... I'm guessing that he wouldn't qualify.

But either way, it's a great way to promote the breed!

there were definitely horses there that had been in race training, but had no starts :)

It was great to see the spectrum of OTTBs - everything from trained-but-never-raced to 4year olds with a few starts, fresh off the track to old been-there-done that campaigners like my old guy (21yo, 60 starts, and well into a 2nd career)

BlueRidgeEventer
Jun. 21, 2009, 10:45 PM
Really wanted to bring two of mine, but it was the same weekend as show jumping rally and I was coaching several people. Did get the chance to stop in and watch. The show looked like it was a good success.

Does anyone know if there's going to be another one in September? Read somewhere that there might be ... (fingers crossed)

sm
Jun. 22, 2009, 01:46 PM
Blue Ridge: mgt is looking for a date in Sept, hopefully will be figured out this week.

Tar Heel: you're written up here http://www.leightonfarm.com/news_&_events.htm . I did see Huey go --- sweet! I brought the Leather Therapy prizes with me (LT did not ship to VHC due to timing issues) and dropped them off on Saturday. Also was responsible for the North American Thoroughbred Society free memberships for all champions and reserves.

nostirrups
Jun. 22, 2009, 06:04 PM
Here is one of the Press Releases from the show:

PRESS RELEASE - Off The Track Thoroughbreds Are A Sure Bet For The Virginia Horse Center

The Virginia Horse Center hosted the Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show, showcasing Off the Track Thoroughbreds (OTTB's) on June 13-14, 2009. The weekend was inspiring and magical with more than forty former race horses who traveled from as far away as Georgia and Pennsylvania. This inaugural hunter/jumper show for OTTB's is certain to inspire a series of similar events throughout the year.
Generous sponsorships from the Virginia HBPA, Georganne Hale, Mrs. W.A. "Jimmy" Croll, Jr., Diana Pikulski (TRF), Colonial Downs, and the Maryland Jockey Club, along with others assisted the Virginia Horse Center in presenting this event. The 21 classes consisted of a variety of levels such as Walk/Trot Pleasure, Hunter Over Fences and Power and Speed Jumpers. All events were named after Mid-Atlantic racetracks, and culminated with a $1,000 Colonial Downs Hunter Stakes and a $1,000 Triple Crown Jumper Stakes.
Highlights of the weekend included prizes for competitors in all classes donated by DOVER Saddlery, Stomach Soother, TOBA, CharlesTown Races and Slots, Leather Therapy, Winsome Stables, Hounds Cry Farm, White Rock Farm, North American Thoroughbred Society and the Chestnut Hill Health Care Foundation. A special Hunter Style Award, sponsored by Sarah Starr and her OTTB Wedonit, was chosen at the judge's discretion and presented to Ali's Pal, owned by Jackie Clement and ridden by Sarah West. They received a beautiful Walsh engraved halter along with a $100 donation in their honor to the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.
The event also featured a delicious Exhibitors' Dinner on Saturday night and a lunch on Sunday sponsored by VHBPA. There were several Silent Auction items including an 8x10 Watercolor Portrait by artist Sue Simon of Richmond and a day capping with the Rockbridge Hunt. All of the proceeds from the Silent Auction, and a portion of the proceeds from the Blue Horse Charities Pleasure Walk/Trot and Walk/Trot/Canter classes are going to support Blue Horse Charites www.bluehorsecharites.org.
One of the many crowd pleasers was the oldest horse at the show, 21 year-old chestnut gelding R. Huey, owned by Julia Wendell, and ridden by Hannah Ong. This pair successfully competed in the Jumper Divisions and placed second in the Triple Crown Jumper Stakes. Another crowd favorite was 8 year-old Well Spent, formerly All Game, a grey mare that qualified and placed in both the Hunter and Jumper Stakes with her owner Krista Hodgkin. This mare also carried the youngest competitor at the show, 11 year-old Sarah Vest, to a second place finish in the Blue Horse Charities Walk/Trot Pleasure class.
The W.A. "Jimmy" Croll Jr. Memorial Class was won by the late Hall of Fame trainer's granddaughter, Billie Rae Croll, riding her OTTB, Simon Says Jump, formerly Speedominator. Billie Rae and Simon Says Jump were also awarded the Bobby Hale Memorial Championship, sponsored by Georganne Hale, for the Laurel Hunter Division. Another special presentation was made to Bob and Diane Keadle who have provided the funds for the rescue of many thoroughbreds from kill pens across the country. One of the thoroughbreds they rescued two years ago, Lil Orphan Kris, competed at the show with her new owner, Rosanna McMillian, who was also a class sponsor.
The quality of horses and the sportsmanship of the riders, owners and trainers is an indication that OTTB's offer the racing industry a secondary market for their horses. Let us hope that future OTTB will receive even more support from within the racing industry so that these shows can evolve into a yearly series.

Pictures from this horse show can be viewed at:
http://csyoung.smugmug.com/Horse%20Shows/811077

Special thanks to our official photographer: Danny Young / Action Shots Photography (540) 574-3207 Harrisonburg, VA

LearnToFly
Jun. 22, 2009, 06:30 PM
OMG I want to go!!!

Can we start a circuit? Lets do one in TN!

Wedonit
Jun. 22, 2009, 06:38 PM
I wasn't able to make the show but reiterate how GREAT the organizers were in accommodating my special request to sponsor a style award. I would like to share with everyone the photo of the winners of that award ...

Ali's Pal, owned by Jackie Clement and ridden by Sarah West. I am sure everyone will agree that they exhibit classic style. I think they look awesome! :cool:

http://csyoung.smugmug.com/gallery/8562058_jm88o#563934154_tvAgS-L-LB

I will sponsor more awards in the future (and hopefully attend!) and I hope others will as well! The show organizers will work with you to design an award that suits your level of commitment and style. Please consider it. :)

sm
Jun. 22, 2009, 06:44 PM
OMG I want to go!!!

Can we start a circuit? Lets do one in TN!

We tried a Thoroughbred (all TBs, whether raced or not) English/Western show and clinics at Clearview Farms in Shelbyville TN. Not enough show entries, kept clinics.

PM me if you want and we can try again. There is interest in KY and OH but may be too far? Best if there's tracks nearby for OTTBs, that's what went wrong with Shelbyville...

vineyridge
Jun. 22, 2009, 09:11 PM
Would Kentucky Downs be a decent place to have a TN/KY show? They only have live racing on 4 Saturdays in September this year, have an all turf course, and are in Franklin, KY. You'd have to haul in jumps, but other than that, it's set up for events. It's only about 40 miles from Nashville, right on the KY/TN border.

If such were open to all JC registered TBs, not just OTTBs, you'd probably attract more than 40 exhibitors. :)

LearnToFly
Jun. 23, 2009, 04:13 PM
Would Kentucky Downs be a decent place to have a TN/KY show? They only have live racing on 4 Saturdays in September this year, have an all turf course, and are in Franklin, KY. You'd have to haul in jumps, but other than that, it's set up for events. It's only about 40 miles from Nashville, right on the KY/TN border.

If such were open to all JC registered TBs, not just OTTBs, you'd probably attract more than 40 exhibitors. :)

Would KY Downs do something like that? I think it would be an absolutely splendid idea. Especially if you advertised - there's a lot of people around here who love their TBs. Myself included.

When was the one in Shelbyville?

sm
Jun. 23, 2009, 06:33 PM
We'd need indoor arena, good footing, plus at least one warm up ring.

Shelbyville was scheduled for April 4 and 5, 2009.

LearnToFly
Jun. 23, 2009, 07:29 PM
What about Western Kentucky?
http://www.wku.edu/agexpocenter/

vineyridge
Jun. 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
Murfreesboro TN has an excellent facility in Miller Coliseum. It's got an indoor and all the bells and whistles. Close to Nashville on an interstate.
From the Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce:
TN Miller Coliseum 45,000 4,600 304 B W. Thompson Ln
Murfreesboro, TN
(615) 494-8961 Miller Coliseum is a perfect venue for local, state, regional, national and international horse show events. This facility features a 150-by-300-foot arena floor, a covered warm-up area and 492, 10-by-10 animal stalls. This coliseum will seat 4,600 people and can be extended to a capacity of 6,500.

Savoy 8
Jun. 24, 2009, 12:33 PM
Williamston NC has a GREAT new facility.

http://ncagr.gov/markets/facilities/agcenters/eastern/index.htm

an indoor and a covered and a few outside rings.

LearnToFly
Jun. 24, 2009, 02:46 PM
Oh forgot about MTSU.

I am dead serious about us getting another one of these off the ground....
sm you have a PM

sm
Jun. 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
got it.

We can try, I don't think we'll fill Miller Coliseum. We looked at Miller and the rental cost was too expensive compared to expected entries, which is why we went with Clearview.

I'm not familiar with the others, but do know we need tracks nearby to get the needed TBs. Which is better with that, MTSU or Western KY? We can base format on Virginia show, and then have overall year end awards based on high scores from VA and TN. Virginia did it in two days with one ring and one warm-up, both indoor.

LearnToFly
Jun. 24, 2009, 04:20 PM
got it.

We can try, I don't think we'll fill Miller Coliseum. We looked at Miller and the rental cost was too expensive compared to expected entries, which is why we went with Clearview.

I'm not familiar with the others, but do know we need tracks nearby to get the needed TBs. Which is better with that, MTSU or Western KY? We can base format on Virginia show, and then have overall year end awards based on high scores from VA and TN. Virginia did it in two days with one ring and one warm-up, both indoor.

WKU. There are no tracks in TN.

sm
Jun. 24, 2009, 04:32 PM
is WKU anywhere near Fairmount IL track? I know we were looking between Fairmount and Thistledown.

vineyridge
Jun. 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
is WKU anywhere near Fairmount IL track? I know we were looking between Fairmount and Thistledown.

I really like the idea of marketing to eventers as well as h/js. They do have to do the showjumping phase, and many of them use OTTBs. WKU is in Bowling Green, isn't it? That's very near Nashville and not too far from Lexington and Louisville. Seems to me that I've driven one of the Kentucky Parkways west to get very near St. Louis when coming home. Might be a four hour haul, not sure. It would very, very far from Thistledown, which is in Cleveland, Ohio. Beulah Park is in Columbus, and Ellis Park, which is closing this year, is in Henderson, KY. There are two tracks near Cincinnati--Turfway Park and River Downs.

Midway College in Georgetown, KY has a very well respected riding program. Could you possibly get them involved?

sm
Jun. 24, 2009, 05:30 PM
eventers are great, and they'll be included.

crap, we need some hardcore OTTBers who know the lay of the land
and what's out there in show facilities. Here's some tracks:

ARLINGTON PARK
Arlington Heights, IL 60006

FAIRMOUNT PARK
Collinsville, IL 62234

HAWTHORNE RACE COURSE
Cicero, IL 60804

MAYWOOD PARK
Maywood, IL 60513

BEULAH PARK
Grove City, OH 43123

THISTLEDOWN RACETRACK
North Randall, OH 44128

CHURCHILL DOWNS INC.
Louisville, KY 40208

KENTUCKY DOWNS
Franklin, KY 42135

TURFWAY PARK LLC
Florence, KY 41022

ELLIS PARK
Henderson, KY 42420

HOOSIER PARK
Anderson, IN 46013

LearnToFly
Jun. 24, 2009, 11:23 PM
I think the only KY track on that list that ISN'T within a 2-3 hour drive from Bowling Green is Churchill Downs. Plus, it's close to Nashville, a reasonable drive from Knoxville, Chattanooga, St. Louis (maybe, I don't know Missouri quite as well as TN). I know there are people from my Equestrian Team that would be willing to volunteer, and I bet we can recruit from other places too (I know UK, Midway and Murray State all have equine programs). And if we specify it to benefit Rerun or TRF (or both!) then we can pull in their contacts and get entries from horses they have adopted out. Not to mention the good number of COTHers in the area with OTTBs.

sm
Jun. 25, 2009, 12:44 PM
what about http://www.meadowlakeec.com in Lancaster KY, is this what you mean?

TRF was instrumental in the VA show and the one I'd go with. Rerun did have all TB shows in KY but it fizzled out, my sources indicate why and therefore I think we can move forward. Although all rescues would be invited to participate.

nostirrups
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
The organizers who brought you the Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show at the Virginia Horse Center on June 13-14, 2009 are pleased to announce that the VHC will also be hosting a second Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show on November 21-22, 2009. :)

More details will be posted soon and also look for a link to their new OTTB show website complete with Sponsor Information, Press Releases, Prize Lists and updates as they become available. The link will be posted as soon as it becomes available!

In support of Off the Track Thoroughbreds, the July House Mountain Horse Show, next week (July 7-8) offers a 2'6" OTTB Hunter Division. Plans are underway for the October House Mtn Show to also include an OTTB Hunter Division as well as the possibility of an OTTB Jumper Division. More details to come soon!

jumpingmaya
Jun. 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
The organizers who brought you the Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show at the Virginia Horse Center on June 13-14, 2009 are pleased to announce that the VHC will also be hosting a second Thoroughbred Celebration Horse Show on November 21-22, 2009. :)

More details will be posted soon and also look for a link to their new OTTB show website complete with Sponsor Information, Press Releases, Prize Lists and updates as they become available. The link will be posted as soon as it becomes available!

In support of Off the Track Thoroughbreds, the July House Mountain Horse Show, next week (July 7-8) offers a 2'6" OTTB Hunter Division. Plans are underway for the October House Mtn Show to also include an OTTB Hunter Division as well as the possibility of an OTTB Jumper Division. More details to come soon!

I'm jealous... can we have the same thing in Florida.... PLEASE...
PRETTY PLEASE>>>> :D

tarheelmd07
Jun. 30, 2009, 09:51 PM

Fabulous! We shall definitely be making the trip down from Baltimore again...hopefully with Huey AND some of his friends from home :D

sm
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:20 PM
hey nostirrups, add'l release info in today to your Virginia Horse Center, November 21-22, 2009 dates:

Mark your calendars....more details to follow!

We are also in the process of building a web page that you can go to in order to receive up to date information, prize lists, etc.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Show Chairperson Anne Russek at annrussva at hotmail.com (annrussva@hotmail.com) or Krista Hodgkin kristahodgkin at yahoo.com (kristahodgkin@yahoo.com)

obviously @ replaces " at " on the email addresses

sm
Jul. 1, 2009, 01:23 PM
don't know about FLA yet but western section of New York state is gearing up.

Plans are in the works for 2010, there are lots of OTTBs there and good pockets of support. Brainstorming for the next month, results to follow...

nostirrups
Jul. 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
Now on FACEBOOK - After The Track / American Thoroughbreds Making Great Sport Horses

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=203766615654&ref=ts

If you can't link, try searching AFTER THE TRACK...you'll find it!

Hope to see you there!!!